How do I get nice nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millyspook

Reaction score
I want to become a nail tech but my nails are so awful it's just embarrasing. I suffer from dry skin and then have a tendency to pick. I have hang nails and then just keep picking. I tried acrylics and they actually made me stop picking the skin but they have ruined my nails. My just don't seem to grow no matter what I do. I am using solar oil on them now and trying to moisturise as much as possible but is there anything else I can be doing to get turn then into beautiful strong nails I can be proud of? I'm so embarrassed by them

Have you been to have your nails manicured ? A weekly or fourtnightly manicure will help your nails look better and keep hangnails at bay, and improve the look of your cuticles.

Use your solar oil twice a day, and use gloves when washing up etc :hug:

Have you done any manicure training at all? If not, do it!! :) This will give you the necessary information on how to look after and improve the condition of your nails and the area around them.

If you still struggle after manicure treatments and the strength of your nails is the issue then I would highly recommend using Dr Lewinn's Renunail Nail Strengthener.

I have tried all sorts over the years until I found this product. I believe in it so much that I stock it in my salon and sell a few every week. Before stocking it myself I used to buy it in a local Rowlands Pharmacy.

Have you done any manicure training at all? If not, do it!! :) This will give you the necessary information on how to look after and improve the condition of your nails and the area around them.

Hiya yes I'm actually going on my mani and pedi training today. Think that's why I am so worried bout my nails as they as so awful. Hopefully that will give me the insight I need.

Ooh, have a fab time on your course! Giving yourself a lovely regular manicure will really help - and try adding Cuticle Eraser into your daily routine: a dot of Cuticle Eraser on each cuticle area, rubbed together with your SolarOil each and every morning, then just your trusty SolarOil at night. And if you get the urge to pick again during the day? Reach for that SolarOil! :)

Hiya yes I'm actually going on my mani and pedi training today. Think that's why I am so worried bout my nails as they as so awful. Hopefully that will give me the insight I need.

You'll probably find you're not the only one! Lol. Nail techs are often very good at "do as I say not as I do" advice (myself included!).

Enjoy the training x

You'll probably find you're not the only one! Lol. Nail techs are often very good at "do as I say not as I do" advice (myself included!).

Enjoy the training x

Same here. Once you get going, think about Shellac. It's an amazing product and does NOT damage your nails. It gives just enough support to grow them w/o upkeep (infills, rebalance, etc.) of enhancements.

Have fun with training! :)

Honey I am a terrible skin nibbler...... well I used to be but since I have been Shellac-ing (since August) I've been so good. I nibble when I'm stressed and worried and at the moment i'm stressed and worried ALL the time with one thing and another lately but i'm hardly ever nibbling... a miracle for me!

Here is a pic of my new non nibbled fingers (well almost non nibbled)

happyfeet-albums-shellac-picture41728-black-rock.jpg

Every time I get the urge (well almost every time) my nail stylist brain kicks in...... stop! And the majority of the time I do.

Also the fact that you will be offering manis makes you want to have nice nails, make you care for your nails and stops the nibbling.

So honey good luck today and get Shellacing ;)

PS Blimey sorry didnt realise the pic was gonna be that big and clearly I need to work on the nicotine stain.... :eek:

Last edited:
Been on my mani and pedi course and it's amazing how nice my hands feel already with all the massaging, masking and scrubbing I have been doing. I have got my shellac already and will be shellacing myself hoping to get the lovely nails I want. Thanks for all your advice geeks xxx

Latest posts

Back