Patch test for tinting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoannaELH

Reaction score
Im away to start eyebrow/eyelash tinting. I know your suppose to do a patch test before carrying out tinting however is it really necessary if your client hasn't had reaction's to any other form of product or tint. I am planning on notifying clients about patch testing but dont know if I should insist on it or just make sure that I let them know that there is a chance of a reaction what do you suggest?

Im away to start eyebrow/eyelash tinting. I know your suppose to do a patch test before carrying out tinting however is it really necessary if your client hasn't had reaction's to any other form of product or tint. I am planning on notifying clients about patch testing but dont know if I should insist on it or just make sure that I let them know that there is a chance of a reaction what do you suggest?

Basic answer is YES it is necessary.

When I trained I was told to do a patch test EVERY time someone had a tint, regardless of whether they'd had it done before.

When I got out into industry they said only do a patch test on people who haven't been to our salon before i.e. hasn't used our products, so once. (We would get people saying "Well I've never had a reaction to hair dye before!" but that isn't the point, so we tested everyone.)

Then one day a lady phoned up who'd had tinting done by us for years - and we'd never switched brands, wasn't a brand new tint etc...but she had a massive reaction and her eyes were inflamed, red and itchy. She'd been to her GP who confirmed it was an allergic reaction and that she wan't to have it done again. So it just shows you that the body is always changing and someone can just suddenly develop a reaction to it.

So I'd be inclined to start doing patch tests every single time someone wants a tint, but I'm imagining this is not practical and the salon I am at still only does a patch test on new clients.

EDIT: forgot to add, what if you verbally told them there is a chance they could react, not do a patch test, then you get a letter a few weeks letter saying you're being sued because the client reacted to tint...and there was no disclaimer signed by the client to say they refused/didn't have a patch test for whatever reason. Unlikely I know, and it's the worst case scenario, but I guess it could happen...!

Latest posts

Back