Airbrush make up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 60877

Reaction score
Hi to everybody.

Do you really have to go on a course to learn airbrush make up? There are some top celebrities out there that are self-taught.

Can't you just buy the kit and play with before you do it for real?

What do you think? I did a spray tanning course a while ago so the system must be very similar. ?!

thank you
:Grope:

I do airbrush makeup. I do feel the training was worth while as there is definitely a knack to it. Not as easy as u might expect. It's one of those things u feel a bit kack handed doing at first and the training will also show u how to clean ur machine properly as they can easily get blocked up if you don't clean properly after each use. They teach u how to blow the air out slowly when doing the first application as otherwise u can blast it into clients faces which makes them jump lol.Also there's different ways of covering different skin issues/ types. I did mine with airbase.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Does anyone know if airbase do payment options for the kit. They are doing the training for £60 but really cannot afford the kit just now.

We weren't offered any payment plan options unfortunately x

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I have the training coming up on Monday. I'll let you know what it's like xxx

Hi all, I had my airbase training yesterday and it was really good. Fair bit of theory to start us off and a couple of practical demos. We all had a chance to play with the kit and work on each other. We also had to take apart the airbrush and clean it and put it back together again.

I think it was well worth going, as I had already had a little play with my kit (I got it for Christmas) I picked up loads of tips to use it properly and I never would've known how to take it apart.

It was a special offer I went on (a third of the usual price) and so I think it was worth it. I'm not sure I would have thought that it if it was full price as it was very quick. (10am - 3pm with about an hour for lunch).

The trainer was fab - she was dead enthusastic and knew the products inside out.

Hope this helps, but please feel free to ask me anything xxx

aprox how much is a airbrush make up kit? what do you get? and where abouts is the training? what do you use airbrush make up for? is it good for bridal? can you use any make up in it? or is it only certain brands? if so, what brands do it? haha sorry a million questions there, just curious :D

Hi Dolly,

Have a look at the airbase website: www.airbasemakeup.com

There's a few different packages on there and info on the training locations. There are also other makes, such as Luminess, Temptu, OCC, Dinair etc. that you can get in the UK through various websites.

My hubby got me the airbase kit for Christmas :Love: so I decided to do the training with them so I had full product knowledge etc. The problem with the others is that they are based in the US and therefore no training in the UK, although I know that you can do a city & guilds in airbrushing in various colleges.

It is very good for bridal as it is long lasting and smudgeproof. It's silicone based so theoretically shouldn't budge once it's set.

You can use other airbrush make up brands I guess, but not regular foundations as the particles are too thick and will block the gun. The trainer was very non-comittal (rightly so) about using other brands. I might invest in a few temptu or OCC colours for blush and highlighters as the airbase range is very small. I have no idea yet whether they would work, but I think a trial pack is fairly reasonably priced. I have read that some artists have used Mac Face and Body with some success and I might try that (only on me at first!!)- but I am prepared to take my airbrush to bits to clean if it blocks!!!!!

I hope this has helped a little - feel free to ask anything else.

xxx

hi thank you for coming back to tell us about your training. I am for you that you have enjoyed it.

I really really love make up so I might ask for the airbrush machine as my birthday present ! lol

Can you use normal make up on top the airbrushed foundation?

thank you

Hi Allesandra,

Yes, you can use whatever make up you want over the foundation - you don't even have to use the airbase blushers or bronzer if you don't want to.

You don't necessarily need to use powder either as the foundation sets with quite a matte finish. The only thing I think the range is really missing (and apparently they are already working on this) is a highlighter and primary colours.

You can also use your own concealer underneath the foundation for dark circles or high colour etc as the foundation colours don't really offer that option (i.e. green for roseaca - don't know the spelling!!!)

I hope all this makes sense xxx

Hi Dolly,

Have a look at the airbase website: www.airbasemakeup.com

There's a few different packages on there and info on the training locations. There are also other makes, such as Luminess, Temptu, OCC, Dinair etc. that you can get in the UK through various websites.

My hubby got me the airbase kit for Christmas :Love: so I decided to do the training with them so I had full product knowledge etc. The problem with the others is that they are based in the US and therefore no training in the UK, although I know that you can do a city & guilds in airbrushing in various colleges.

It is very good for bridal as it is long lasting and smudgeproof. It's silicone based so theoretically shouldn't budge once it's set.

You can use other airbrush make up brands I guess, but not regular foundations as the particles are too thick and will block the gun. The trainer was very non-comittal (rightly so) about using other brands. I might invest in a few temptu or OCC colours for blush and highlighters as the airbase range is very small. I have no idea yet whether they would work, but I think a trial pack is fairly reasonably priced. I have read that some artists have used Mac Face and Body with some success and I might try that (only on me at first!!)- but I am prepared to take my airbrush to bits to clean if it blocks!!!!!

I hope this has helped a little - feel free to ask anything else.

xxx

wow, thank you for your help, i'm looking through the site now! this is going to be most likely a really stupid questions but can you put normal make up on top of airbrushed make up? also how long do you find it lasts? do you still have normal foundation incase people don't want airbase, or do you just say tough doody your having it! x

Last edited:
Thankyou for such an informative thread. I want to do airbrush makeup SO much, think it will be my next course :Scared: I knew of airbase but I will go off and google the others now. :Love:

Hi dolly and you're very welcome. You can use any make up on it. I am planning to use airbase as much as I can but will stick to my Mac palettes for eyeshadows and blushers. I haven't tested it's longevity yet as I only trained a few days ago but I'm told that it lasts 10 - 12 hours which is why it's perfect for brides. I will offer regular foundation but I'll definitely promote airbase more once I am 100% confident. By the way I'm not affiliated with the brand at all and will, in time, try other brands. I hope this helps xxxx

PS as I say to my 4 year old, there's no such thing as a stupid question!!!! It's how we all learn xxx

And moonbladez, you're welcome too. If I can offer anyone help and advice on here I will. I'm grateful to be a part of such a helpful community xxxxx

Hi
Lucky you and me too as my other half also bought me the kit and training at Christmas lol! Been saving up too.
I've had a play on myself and my daughter as can't do training til end of Feb.
I do bridal make up and am desperate to offer to clients. I've a rehearsal on Sat but nervous to try out before training! Also worried about blocking gun although I have sprayed thinner/cleaner through at end- is this right please?

Any other help- it's hard to see where it's going on- can I alter the spray?
Thank you and great thread!

Glad I found this thread Angie, its great!
Can you justify charging more for airbase compared to your normal make-ups? X

I did airbase at college I love it,but my other half has broken my airbrush so I need to get a new one :-( its brill though I didn't want to take mine off x

Hi Purplespark, The trainer said you could charge £10-15 just for the foundation with airbase, or up to 50% over your normal price. I think that's reasonable. I also think it depends how good you are at applying regular foundation - some people can achieve a flawless base with brushes and sponges. I can.... eventually after I've brushed to death! I think the airbrush technique will work out quicker once I'm up to speed (pardon the pun!)

Jolie69, You can alter your spraying either by controling your trigger finger really well - this will take heaps of practice I think - or by getting the valve thingy from airbase. The trainer said the valve wasn't really necessary for someone who has really good control, but obviously that only comes with experience. I'm not sure I would do a trial before the training to be honest (it might put the bride off if you're not confident?) - I definitely wouldn't have been able to do it before mine anyway, but I'd never even seen an airbrush in real life until a couple of months ago!

Does anyone have the airbase briefcase? If so, what's it like? What size? I've seen a silver case on Sallys website which is only £12 and wondering whether that would do the job (if I was to get a foam insert) instead of paying over £100. I'd rather spend the money on products!

x

Latest posts

Back