Beauty lecturing in Birmingham?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bellini

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm currently doing a PTLLS course in Birmingham and wondered if anyone knew of positions that are usually available in or around Bham. I'm not really sure where to start; is it just a case of emailing colleges and institutions or are these positions advertised somewhere that I'm not aware of? I'm interested in lecturing or product training so any help would be great!

xx

When I first set out to teach, I personally approached the heads of beauty departments for local F.E. colleges. As you know, you need (or you did need when I trained) to have a number of teaching hours in order to get your qual. (It was only about 10 for what was then called the C&G 7307). I shadowed some classes first to see how they were run.

There wasn't a teaching place available, but it got me through to taking the 7407 (CTLLS) where about 20 or 40 teaching hours were required. You have to have the classes in order to apply the theory you learn! I did this again at another local college where I then went on to get my Cert. Ed and Assessor's Award. You will most likely find that if you want to teach in FE colleges they will insist on your progression if you want to have a contract to be employed by them.

I have also done some training for private companies - and it is by far the easier option in my opinion! (Unless you are teaching a full NVQ etc.) because you will not be required to be a Course Tutor as well as class tutor (i.e. mentoring students, doing disciplinaries, pastoral care etc). Nor will you be asked to teach any of the Key Skills.... or go to numerous departmental meetings - or look forward to a visit from Ofsted..... (and so on...)

Teaching IS great - but there is a very heavy workload. That aside - It was one of the best decisions I ever made!!! Just make contact and hope there is something left in the budget since all the cuts... Good Luck!

Hi Little Voyce

Thanks so much for the pointers. I actually hadn't considered private training providers so will google them and see what places are in Bham.

Thanks

Try everything you can. But I would still say that working in a FE college really gives you experience of working with all types and abilities of students - and it's experience that the private sector recognises as being very worthwhile, especially if they have a brand that is being used in class.

Latest posts

Back