Help! Acne nightmare!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzBee

Reaction score
Hi All....

I was wondering if anyone can help/recommend anything for Acne??

It started when i was 12 and I have now 26 - So 14 years!!!! I just cant cope with it! I used to be really bad with it and literally wouldnt go out (aged 17/18) have since got better and go out etc but it seriouly gets me down!!! I know there are people with more things to worry about but I just cant help it. I find excuses not to go out with friends because I feel disgusting!!!
I have tried the following treatments:
Chemist crap - Oxy, Clearasil etc etc
Doctors: Antibiotics, The Pill, Benzoyl peroxideetc etc
Dermotoligist: Roaccutane which I have taken twice!

Roaccutane was the best got rid of it for about a year until it finally crept back!

I literally have a new spot/s everyday! Its gross. So sore aswell sometimes.

Am sorry to moan! But if anyone has a recommendation that they have tried, I would be grateful.... Thank you

xxx

Not sure what else can be suggested - roaccutane is the ultimate treatment for acne and if that hasn't worked I really don't know.

If you were prescribed the roaccutane by a dermatologist perhaps you need another consultation with him to see what else he can suggest.

I do hope there is some further help out there.

you could try a few herbal remedies. i have used them on my teenagers with good results. go to your local health shop and chat to them about it. bio force do several remedies for acne , or pay a visit to a herbalist.

I went to my Doctor and he was reluctant to refer me to a dermotologist again as I had been on Roaccuatne twice and he basically said if it didnt work then it's probably not going too, plus its quite a powerful drug can affect liver etc. So didnt like the idea of me going on the again.

Skin tend to clear up in the sun - my dont wanna use sunbeds as would need to go on them all the time!

I actually haven't ever tried herbal remedies because i just assumed they wouldn't work - but I will give anything a go!

Thanks for your replies :) xxx

Jeez if roaccutane didnt work then im stumped as anyone I knew thats always worked on.

I understand how you must be feeling as I have suffered from bad skin in the past. I would push to be referred again and see if there is anything else they can do for you. Maybe its something to do with your hormone levels?

I hope you get it sorted out, I really do. xxx

Aw I really feel for you, I have been in your position :-( its so very frustrating. I got to a point where I couldn't look in a mirror without crying. I've been on roaccutane too ~ it's a very strong drug! I think you can go on it 3 times in total so perhaps give it one more go?

I see you said you tried the pill too. Which pills have you tried? Yasmin has been very good for me in the past. I'm actually pregnant now and have to say my skin has never been better! Not that I'm saying you should go and get yourself pregnant but at least you know that it may not last forever!

If you find that sunshine helps it and you don't want to do the sunbeds, maybe you could try the light boxes used by people with SAD

My daughter was prescribed duac cream - it worked brilliantly -

Only down side is that it bleaches anything it comes into contact with!! Eg towels, pillowcases etc

Hi All....

I was wondering if anyone can help/recommend anything for Acne??

It started when i was 12 and I have now 26 - So 14 years!!!! I just cant cope with it! I used to be really bad with it and literally wouldnt go out (aged 17/18) have since got better and go out etc but it seriouly gets me down!!! I know there are people with more things to worry about but I just cant help it. I find excuses not to go out with friends because I feel disgusting!!!
I have tried the following treatments:
Chemist crap - Oxy, Clearasil etc etc
Doctors: Antibiotics, The Pill, Benzoyl peroxideetc etc
Dermotoligist: Roaccutane which I have taken twice!

Roaccutane was the best got rid of it for about a year until it finally crept back!

I literally have a new spot/s everyday! Its gross. So sore aswell sometimes.

Am sorry to moan! But if anyone has a recommendation that they have tried, I would be grateful.... Thank you

xxx

My son struggled with his spots at 16/17 he is now 19 totally clear now.

All he had was laser at a harley street clinic, absolutely fantastic well it worked for him, expensive but works so highly recommend it. :)

Thanks for your replies!

I actually have had laser....and it worked well on some scarring i had. I had this awful scar on my right cheek which has pretty much gone now.... :) it took i would say a year to finally disappear but the laser treatments obviously worked!

I might go to the doctor again and ask for a referral. I am going to get some herbal remedies tomorrow and give those ago...

Thanks again xxx

I'm a Dr who has also had rosccutane 2x and all meds if not thrice but often 4x. I was referred to the national acne society in London who gave me a sound treatment programme which I use on all of my difficult acne patients as well as on myself. Pm me if you want me to inbox you the instructions. The key is to follow the details to the letter and persevere for up to 2 years for maximum benefit. I've suffered for over 20years now - most people are staggered when I say what I've had! However I have pretty clear skin now which flares up when I don't stick to it!!

I was on Roaccutane for 7 years! From 17-24. My skin was still really bad at 24, but I made the decision to come off Roaccutane as 7 years on such a high drug cannot be good?!
The contraceptive pill Dianette has always worked well for me, you can only take it short term though and my Dr has just taken me off it and my skin is dreadful at the moment :( really painful spots under the skin and I'm now 32... I think I am going to be a long term acne sufferer :(

Hi. One of the other newer non-drug treatments is blue light therapy. Look it up. There's been lots of research on this and it's being used successfully in lots of clinics. The blue light wavelength reacts with the oxygen surrounding the P.acne bacteria and the result is a bacteriacidal environment is created. It is best used in conjunction with a peel, or wash, using salycilic acid (tho, others are also recommended. Not glycolic, as it is too harsh).

Blue light devices are also available for home use. You just have to ensure that you use them regularly and that they are at the correct wavelength. It's very late now, so this is a bit rambly - but you have nothing to lose by doing some reading around the subject.

Of course, nothing is guaranteed. But as others have said, and you well know, Roaccuatane, excellent as it is, can carry a heavy price.

Good luck!

I use obagi new derm, google it and include acne in the search. If you haven't already tried it.
I had cystic acne and since using this my face is clear.
It removes pigmentation and scarring.
I don't know if this is right for you and you will have to buy it from a clinic.
But maybe a consultation would give you more info.
Just thought it was worth mentioning :)
Xx

i suffer from the odd outbreak
Currently have a lot right now, I put Sudocreme on my face last night.. it reduces redness in the spots overnight, can be used for Acne x

I'm sure glycolic peels help with acne xxxxx

Latest posts

Back