Reaction 3 days after application EE help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suwiexx

Reaction score
Hi geeks, I did an express set of lashes thurs eve I used flirties glue and synthetic Minks, I applied them in my usual way I didn't feel they were too close to the lash line they looked fab and the client was really happy with them, the next day she posted a pic saying how she loved them and urged friends to come to me I felt great.

Last night Sunday eves out 9pm she message me saying there had just starting to hurt and wanted me to come out and get them off but I was working till half 10. She posted me a link with information on how to remove lashes at home using baby oil.

This mornings I messaged her to see if she was ok and she said it felt like her lash line was on fire and really sore and she was on her way to A&E.

What should I do? I think reading other threads on here she might be having an allergic reaction but as it didn't start until 3 days after could it be a reaction to the lashes/glue ect or something she might have used Sunday ie face cream, face wash, makeup ect? I feel awful
but I don't think I have done anything wrong, what do you guys think? Plz be honest, this has never happened before. X

Hi,

You've asked for an honest reply so my first though was "I hope you patch tested her"?

If you did, and it was fine, then there is nothing more you could have done so don't beat yourself up.

She only contacted you last night and you couldn't get to her to assess it yourself.

It sounds like it could be a reaction (3 days after is a bit late but not impossible) or, if the lashes aren't bonded completely at the base they can feel spikey when the eyes are closed and this could cause irritation.

It's difficult without seeing. She shouldn't have tried to remove them herself either as this could have caused irritation.

I hope everything is OK

I didnt patch test, when I trained my trainer informed us that as the nothing touches the skin a patch test is not required and that we should never put semi perm glue on the skin anywhere because it is not made for the skin but if they said they are sensitive to tint or dye then put a tiny spec behind the ear, only in those circumstances.
do you always patch test then? I do always ask them during the consultation if they have ever reacted to anything or if they were sensitive to anything but never had anyone say yes therefore never done it. Oh god I hope I didn't do anything wrong, have you ever had someone have a reaction? X

Just out of curiosity, can I ask who you trained with?

As long as you have followed what your training provider advised then you have done the right thing so please don't worry x

However.......... (and before anyone shoots me down this is just my personal opinion based on my experience).

It is correct that the lashes should not touch the skin. But it is the FUMES from the glue that is the most likely cause of a reaction, not the glue itself.

I have the most awful reaction if I have even a few lashes applied. My eyes swell up, the skin on my eyelids peel, and my eyes go all crusty. Lovely! :eek:

However, I have absolutely NO reaction if the glue gets on my skin.

It is for this reason that I believe 100% that patch tests should be done by applying a few short lashes to each eye.

If you have been taught to patch test by putting some glue on the skin then continue to do this. However, it may also be beneficial to patch test with a few lashes too.

I trained with marvel ( I can already hear you thinking there rubbish and yes I know there the worst I'm retraining soon with another company) I have read lots of threads on here on weather to patch test or not but I thought I better follow on what I was taught. and if it had happened strait away I would have removed there and then but she said they were fine until sun eve that's why I I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that has had a reaction to something that's touched the lashes like makeup creams ect? I honestly believe I didn't do anything wrong, when I messaged her this morning to see how she was and expressed my concern she said she was on her way to A&E and she would keep me informed. Bt I don't really know what to do or say to her x thanks for replying though chick,I just wanted someone else's point of view on what they would do in my situation?? Xx

I just wanted someone else's point of view on what they would do in my situation??

I would be rining my insurance company, firstly to check that they were ok with me not patch testing as they will be the ones dealing with a claim should your client decide to make one, also I'd be checking what information they would want me to pass onto the client if she chooses to put in a claim & what information & paperwork they want me to collect together for them to help them make a decission if a claim is made against me.

Oh no, hope your ok...
I have no idea what I would do. Ring your insurance and hopefully they will tell you. I no it sounds silly but don't offer a refund or anything untill you are sure. This also proves that you think you was in the wrong.

I was also trained not to do patch tests, however after reading this I think I'm going to start, better safe than sorry.

I really don't know what to say, even if you did do a patch test, you only would have waited 24 hours so that would of been useless anyways.

3 days is such a long time to react to something, I have really sensitive eyes and they get really sore, even with make up I'm always putting and rubbing. However I still wear eyelashes on nights out, in the morning my eyes hurt and are a bit red. I'm sure your clients just like me, sensitive.

Hope it works out ok and let me know the out come xx

Hi,

Sorry to hear about what happened.

With regards to patch testing etc. I do'nt know where I was but a doctor was talking about allergies & specifically about allergic reactions to hair dyes & cosmetics etc.

He was saying that allergies can be as a result of a build up of exposure to certain chemicals/produts. So even if you have never had a reaction to a paticular chemical/product before this can change over time.

Therefore, he was saying that it's always adviseable to patch test, patch test again if changing products & if not, patch test every 3 months or so.
This is the advice I follow, so as not to leave myself open.

I'm sure you will be fine, good luck.

Sarah

I trained with marvel lash and must admit not the best! They also told me not to patch test however I don't use there glue I use another so I always patch test I read in your post above you used flirties glue not marvel I'm not sure if they advise when using there glue to patch test! But just in future I would always patch test just incase it happens again hope everything sorts itself out for you xoxo

Even if a patch test was done its 3 days later she got the reaction. A patch test is 24 hours before. So it wouldn't of made a difference x

For those debating what to do regards patch testing you MUST ask your insurance what they require you to do, nothing else matters. It makes no difference if your training said to test or not it's down to what your insurance company want, they may say to follow training guidelines or they may say patch test every 3 months or even to test for every appointment.

Also if you train with one supplier then change some products (eg.. glue) then you must inform your insurance that you plan to do this and check if you will still be covered by them as you are mixing product brands.

Changing glue without notifying your insurance company could make your cover invalid and leave you in a situation where you are personally liable for a claim made against you.

Patch testing - follow both manufacturers instructions and your insurance providers instructions. Regardless of who you trained with as you may train with one company but then go on to use another brand of adhesive.

As far as allergies go you can suddenly become allergic to anything so care must be taken to avoid over exposure to products too. Adhesive should not touch the skin and patch tests are done by applying adhesive to the lashes along with any primer or sealants etc used

I hope your client is ok

sorry just reading this im from hair,

This happened to me well i didnt go t A&E, had my lashes done at xmas they looked fab but 2/3 days in they got really burny, but what i think happened was the glue was too think and it started to rub on my skin, it was really uncomfortable, i just used some eyelash remover on cotton wool and gently wiped it over the lashes all the lumpy glue came off and they felt great again,,

im not suggesting you done the same,

sorry just reading this im from hair,

This happened to me well i didnt go t A&E, had my lashes done at xmas they looked fab but 2/3 days in they got really burny, but what i think happened was the glue was too think and it started to rub on my skin, it was really uncomfortable, i just used some eyelash remover on cotton wool and gently wiped it over the lashes all the lumpy glue came off and they felt great again,,

im not suggesting you done the same,

That's sounds like the same as she explained it to me ex with semi perm glue you wouldn't be able to get it off with eye makeup remover, sounds like you had clusters. Thanks for your reply chick xx

Thanks for the replies everyone, my insurance says as long as I've followed what I was trained I'm ok but still feel rubbish, the thing is if I do a patch test from now on and that's not how I was trained would I be in the wrong if someone had a reaction? X

There's not a lot you could do hun. I had lashes for 7 months then suddenly one day my eyes swelled up so badly I couldn't open it. My tech hadn't changed any products. It took a couple of days and they went down. Don't beat yourself up over it - sometimes your body just doesn't like something x

Weirdly though, I can lash client with no problems x

Thanks everyone, she's fine from what I can gather she's on FB moaning about tv and work lol I think I was feeling worse over it than her in the end lol x

Hiya... firstly, bless you, this is a stressful situation to be in and I really feel for you L

I think I would be inclined to ring the company I trained with for advice as well as your insurer and the product manufacturer.

As the reaction manifested a few days after she had them done I would be inclined to think that it is not an ALLERGIC reaction to the product (glue/primer/sealer) but more of an ADVERSE reaction to wearing the lashes. This could be aggravation to the lash line and eye caused by the physical wearing of the lashes, especially if the lashes are applied closely to the lash line or with too much glue (chunky, pokey scratchy bits). I’m not questioning your application, but need to look at all eventualities. Next thought is, she may just be a sensitive sole and she find the lashes aggravating. I am one of these people – lashes bug the hell out of me and the discomfort always occurs a few days to a week in.... once discomfort strikes, it’s likely that the wearer will rub and touch their eyes, worsening the aggravation and potentially resulting in a secondary eye infection?

Which leads me to one more point. She may have developed an eye infection – this could be associated to the lashes or may not be – but the lashes can of course worsen/aggravate any existing or developing symptoms. Eye infections can be more common in lash wearers, as it can be more difficult to clean around the eyes, and some wearers are so careful to keep their lashes perfect for as long as poss that they don’t clean/wash their eyes properly. Also some new clients can’t stop touching/messing within them, all of which can increase the risk of bacterial being transferred into the eye.

Anyways I’m rambling on now, but I do hope this helps! Best of luck with it all xx

Ah.. sorry, so slow replying, that I didn't see that you've posted that she's alright... drama queen eh?! Muhuhuhu.. so pleased for you, situations like that are just horrible and scary. Phew! xx

Latest posts

Back