Help! Massage treatment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vix26

Reaction score
Can someone please advise me, I've had a lady book her and her friend in for a mini facial and massage. The treatment is a suprise present as her friend has cancer and starts chemo the 1st feb. so she wants her to have a feel good treatment. I would normally say speak to dr to make sure the treatment will be ok to have. Is there any reason I could not do this treatment?

Its highly unlikely that massage would do anything to worsen what damage has already been done, we are advised not to do it without doctors permission as it being a lymph drainage treatment, although if you tell the client the risks etc and she is happy to have the treatment and sign that she is happy there is no reason why you shouldn't do it, all i would recommend is to keep pressure light, don't drain towards the area affected (just as a precaution) or you could always ask her is there was a treatment she would prefer after explaining the risks - these are all just my opinions and what I have been taught and researched its not to say its correct or not. I hope it helps x

Thank you, I agree I just wanted to run it by someone else as not really had this situation before. I think I will ask her to ring her dr before she comes in. Thanks!

Hiya, I think getting her to phone her doctor is a good idea. In the meantime, if you think this is an area you'd like to do more work there are some great books and courses around to teach you how to adapt treatments for cancer care. Hope it goes well x

Hey,

I would always ask clients with cancer to bring a letter from their GP in to say they could have the treatments they wanted. If they did not have a letter I would ask them when they got in if they were happy to have the treatment and to explain what massage may do. In serious cases when the cancer has progressed so far that it is terminal, I would do any treatment they wanted as they know they are going to die either way, you are just making them more comfortable in the long run.

Good luck! x

Im doing a course in aromatherapy and cancer care at the moment. All my training so far says you must always get permission from their medical practitioner before performing any massage treatment.

With regard to lymph drainage and 'spreading it' etc, there is no evidence anywhere that says this happens. It's called metastasis and will happen anyway as blood is always circulating around the body.

From what I've learnt so far, massage cannot make cancer worse. Longer, slower strokes are recommend and lighter pressure over affected areas as this would just be uncomfortable for the client if it was heavy.

Adaptations would depend on what type of cancer they have, e.g. Lung cancer, you wouldn't get them to lay on their front.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I would ask her to definately bring a doctors/encologist letter!!! and i would check with your insurer too. we had a case in the salon where i used to work. where the client was in remission (so not totally clear of cancer but on the mend & taking medication) we had to offer her only man/ped (no massage included) as any massage could be to stimulating and help any cancer cells move around the body & cause more havoc. she was very upset & isisted she'd had other massage/facial treatments elsewhere. once we explained the reasons why she was so angry other places had been happy to treat her & went on to take things further with those salons. I appriciate this is obviously a little different,I no its hard as she despiratly prob wants to be treated as any other client but you have her best interests at heart. please cover your back & check first x

A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with cancer and without even asking she was told to avoid massage by the doctor - it was on the list of 'donts'.

xx

as any massage could be to stimulating and help any cancer cells move around the body & cause more havoc.

This is a myth. :) Metastasis occurs anyway so massage makes no difference.

Sometimes people are told no massage depending on the type of cancer (i.e. tumours, as it can be uncomfortable on the area) or whether they are still undergoing tests to ascertain the type of cancer, stage they are at etc. Not because it will 'spread' it. If this were the case, patients would be told not to leave their bed, not to let anyone touch them, to not undergo any physical activity etc as all these can increase blood circulation.

But once the patient knows exactly what they have, where it is etc, massage can be adapted for them. I am about to start work at an oncology unit where we will be providing massage to cancer patients - they have been doing research there for years and found that only positive results come from giving massage to cancer sufferers.

Of course, it is still prudent/necessary to obtain GP (preferably an Oncologist's) permission. xx

This is a myth. :) Metastasis occurs anyway so massage makes no difference.

It used to believed this was the case, although as there has been no evidence that it does, it has largely been disregarded, so I wouldn't describe it as a myth - just that there is no evidence that it leads to the cancer spreading. ;)

I think the simple answer to the original question is that unless you have some training in oncology massage then you should not be providing massage to cancer patients.

Sometimes people are told no massage depending on the type of cancer (i.e. tumours, as it can be uncomfortable on the area) or whether they are still undergoing tests to ascertain the type of cancer, stage they are at etc. Not because it will 'spread' it. If this were the case, patients would be told not to leave their bed, not to let anyone touch them, to not undergo any physical activity etc as all these can increase blood circulation.

But once the patient knows exactly what they have, where it is etc, massage can be adapted for them. I am about to start work at an oncology unit where we will be providing massage to cancer patients - they have been doing research there for years and found that only positive results come from giving massage to cancer sufferers.

Absolutely, but unless the therapist is qualified/trained to do so, they will not be able to assess the patient and adapt the massage to their needs.

When I trained as a massage therapist nearly 20 years ago it was drummed into us that we could only provide a treatment that would be covered in our training. It fills me with horror reading some of the queries about doing massage on clients with health/muscular skeletal problems where it is clear the therapist doesn't have the training to do so.

As a golden rule. Unless you have been trained and know what you are doing - REFER to another professional who does. If you don't know anyone it is useful to have a list of professional bodies whose contacts you can give those clients you are unable to give treatments to.

Sorry - off my soapbox now ;)

When I was at college last year studying City & Guilds level 3 body massage we were advised to NOT massage people with Cancer. HTH x

DONT risk it! ALWAYS make sure you get a drs letter. Cover your ass in every which way possible. You dont know what extra damage you could do. In training your always told not to work on cancer patients under going chemo. Better to be safe then sorry I say!

There's plenty of research to say that it makes no difference to the cancer itself and that it actually benefits the client. There's lots of research papers you can find on the net.

Here is a link to the NSW cancer councils fact sheet on it and how massage benefits the cancer patient and that it does not spread the cancer.

http://svc013.wic047p.server-web.co...ncer/downloads/infosheet_massageandcancer.pdf

BUT, check with your insurance company. If they are fine with it then go ahead.

Latest posts

Back