MAC makeup course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazzybabe

Reaction score
ok so i have been looking at doing a makeup course and have searched high and low for a mac makeup course and have finally found one
i was just wondering as this is only a masterclass would i be able to call myself a mac makeup artist or would i need to take a more in depth training course to be able to class myself as this any help would be great?;)

Make Up Courses - Masterclass (Using MAC Makeup) – London MakeUp School

Do you already have experience and/or qualifications in make up artistry? If not, a one-day course will only give you some basic tips, not a proper qualification.

If I saw someone advertising themselves as a MAC artist, I would assume they were employed by MAC. The lady who did my wedding make-up was a MAC artist and she worked part time in a MAC store and freelanced the rest of the time.

The alternative is to become a member of MAC Pro - there is info on this on the MAC website. You would need to do a recognised course (at a make up school registered with/approved by MAC) to apply for their Pro card, which gives you a discount on products. I don't personally believe this makes you a MAC artist - but you could say (as some make up artists I have seen do) that you are a MAC Pro card holder, which indicates that you have done a course approved by MAC.

I do have a mac pro card as i did makeup at college so have an insight to it just want to progress a bit further into it and mac only run masterclasses, they dont do a makeup artist course x

The only people I know of who call themselves MAC artists are employed by MAC - not sure what else it would mean?

If you want to do another course, check out Makeup Advice Forum where there are tons of working artists who can recommend specific courses for particular areas of work (e.g. bridal, fashion etc). There are some boards that are just for working make up artists and you have to apply for access to those once you've made a certain number of posts, but there are other boards for everyone and the make up artists on there do go on the other boards to give advice etc. It's a really good resource if you're looking to get more into make-up. makeupadviceforum.com The 'Face of the Day' board is great for feedback/ideas.

ok great thank you for your help :)

Can u get a mac pro card in the uk x

Yeah you can if you have makeup qualifictaion;)

Oh brilliant do I just call mac head office I've got a nvq level 2 in makeup x

Sorry just commenting so I can save

yeah you need to take proof of your qualification and photo id head office will be able to help you out with what you need, then i went into my local store and gave them all the details and my proof and they gave me a temporary mac card...easy lol :D

U go on the website print a form send it with account detail as it costs 25£.
I personaly agree with emsyj.
But from personal experience as much as i think MAC is OK and i do use SOME of there products witch i swear by, there are also some i really dont like.
I also think you should be careful when refering to yourself as a mac makeup artist as i my experience you have to be very wary of them as there are sooo many bad ones ( im sure there are many good ones too as i have friends that are amazing).
Im not saying every one is but the first thing any of my brides or other clients tend to tell me is that they are nervous as they had a bad experience with a mac makeup artist.
I have heard many clients horror stories in the past 4 years as a hair and makeup artist.
Im not saying there is any harm in doing some training with them as i had one of them come to my college and do a class when i was learning and it was great. But i think its important to get a variety of training.
If someone came to me with purley Mac training and worked for MAC I would say no to them.
I hope this helps i dont mean to be negative!

My sister works part time for MAC and she got that job because she is a make-up artist!
She does shoots and has a lovely portfolio of celebs. Dont waste your money on a silly course, just practise!

Latest posts

Back