Massaging a Pregnant Client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petit Basque

Reaction score
A pregnant client of mine has asked for a back, shoulder and neck massage. She is 16 weeks pregnant and not very large.

I am qualified in Swedish Massage and am very keen to do this for her. I just need to double check with my insurance company that it wouldn't be a problem for me to do this from an insurance point of view but just wondered if any of you lovely geeks had any hints or tips you could offer as I have never massaged a pregnant client before!

Many thanks
PB
x

your insurance might not cover you if you have never done pregnancy massage before but you never know so yes check first.
When I massage a pregnant lady I was trained to have lie on their side in the recovery posistion with cushions to support the head, bump and knees. Also if you have them on their back at anytime to keep the head of the bed raised slightly so they are never completly flat.
Check client comfort throughout and you and the client should be fine. I was also trained to always avoid pressure points on pregnant clients. Personally I wouldnt have the client lie on their tummy even they are not very big.
hth

your insurance might not cover you if you have never done pregnancy massage before but you never know so yes check first.
When I massage a pregnant lady I was trained to have lie on their side in the recovery posistion with cushions to support the head, bump and knees. Also if you have them on their back at anytime to keep the head of the bed raised slightly so they are never completly flat.
Check client comfort throughout and you and the client should be fine. I was also trained to always avoid pressure points on pregnant clients. Personally I wouldnt have the client lie on their tummy even they are not very big.
hth

Hi Sweetyrex...thanks so much for your reply that's really helpful. My insurance company have confirmed that I could do this with written GP consent.

The recovery position makes the most sense and I wold never put a pregnant client on their tummy!!

Thanks for all the tips.

PB
x

Make sure you do a full consultation too, i have my pregnant ladies sit on a chair or stool at thye side of the bed and lean forwards resting on the bed, having a pillow and rolled towels for comfort and support and to protect modesty. This allows for the whole back to be exposed and gives good access as you can work around all sides of the client and they don't have to move for you. Hope she enjoyes her massage.

Make sure you do a full consultation too, i have my pregnant ladies sit on a chair or stool at thye side of the bed and lean forwards resting on the bed, having a pillow and rolled towels for comfort and support and to protect modesty. This allows for the whole back to be exposed and gives good access as you can work around all sides of the client and they don't have to move for you. Hope she enjoyes her massage.

Yes, I'm with Nicola on this, It is comfortable for the client and also means you can do the massage with a decent amount of pressure

I personally dont like them on a chair, find it hurts my back and I've always found clients prefer been on the bed. But everyone has different preferances so maybe op could try both ways and find what suits her and her clients best.:)

Latest posts

Back