Why do I go so dark with my spray tan?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali1

Reaction score
If I have a tan, which is not that often as it's just too dark on me, I use an 8%.

It's not the product I'm using as I've used a few solutions and the same thing happens, also I don't seem to get this complaint from my clients.

The last time I had an 8% tan I washed it off after 3 hours and I was still very dark then. I know the people I get to spray me (sister or husband) are not experienced and go much slower/look like they are spraying a fence, but I thought this wouldn't make any difference as we always say even if you spray twice you will not go darker than the percentage.

Just wondered if anyone had any theories on this or have I just got wierd skin :irked:.

Thankyou :biggrin:

I would also like to hear people's opinion on this as the same thing happened when I spray tanned my friend with 8%. She does go extremely dark when she goes abroad so I put it down to that??

The DHA in the solution reacts as if it was sunlight on your skin - so the results of your tan will be dependant on your natural ability to tan. At least that's when I was taught when doing my training.

There's probably a much better way of explaining it as well lol

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply ladies.

I was originally using and trained by fake bake and was also taught that the solution adapted to your natural skin tone, admission of guilt, I'm not sure if the same applies to other solutions.

Working on that theory, I do tan well in the sun but can go a bit red and develop into a natural golden tan. I have brown hair, green eyes and a few freckles. Many of my friends tan better naturally and don't seem to have the same result from a spray tan.

I don't really want to start buying lower percentages for personal use from a different supplier as I don't go out very much with three little ones and I'm working full time in another job. I guess though the main reason I've raised this issue is that I really just don't understand why and wonder if there is something I could do to get the desired result when I do make the effort to get my glad rags on :lol:

I know you don't want to pay for more solutions but it really sounds like you need a different one such as nouvatan as this is more sunkissed natural than brown like fake bake or sienna, you can ask for a sample to see if it suits you, Hth x

Thanks Debs. I didn't mention the solution I used just because i didn't want it to appear that there was a problem with it. I know it must be to do with me as I have fab results with clients yet the same happens to me with any samples I have tried. The solution I use is infact nouvatan x

Just to add incase I didn't explain properly (sorry I do this a lot), I used to use fake bake but changed to nouvatan after trying many samples x

Last edited:
Yeah it's prob just a case of keep trying different solutions until you find a brand and % that suits you, I know with nouvatan I use 14 on me and 10 on a friend and we are the same colour so its to do with our skin type (she tans easier than me).

i find that a red head or someone with a lot of red heads in their family tends to go a lot darker than expected. does this apply to you?
try mixing a moisturiser through a cream tan and putting it on with a glove and see how that goes.

I think how heavy it is applied does effect how deep it turns out. Think about if you didn't wear stickey feet when getting spray tanned and you stood in the solution your feet would be extremely dark and go greenish (this happened to me once :o) so it does effect it. Even regular tan you put on out of a bottle, I'm sure if you did one leg once and one leg twice you'd notice a difference in colour.?

I think how heavy it is applied does effect how deep it turns out. Think about if you didn't wear stickey feet when getting spray tanned and you stood in the solution your feet would be extremely dark and go greenish (this happened to me once :o) so it does effect it. Even regular tan you put on out of a bottle, I'm sure if you did one leg once and one leg twice you'd notice a difference in colour.?

Thanks again for replies. I don't have many redheads in the family and personally I was naturally blonde but have gradually gone darker over the years and am now brunette.

I have thought that it might be the amount of solution but have always then dismissed it with the age old argument that spraying twice should not make a difference, I know this is often discussed on the forum.

I'll just turn my gun right down and do a light spray, I guess this may make a difference.

Thank you again, I may be able to go out eventually without bleaching my face first :)

Latest posts

Back