Full body massage help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorna shaw

Reaction score
Hi All
i have just started my full body massage training at college can anyone recommend a book or dvd that helps with technique as you can imagine in college its a quick demo and then off you go. but if i want to offer this as a treatment i want to feel confident in what i am doing. Can anyone recommend anything please. xx

Hi All
i have just started my full body massage training at college can anyone recommend a book or dvd that helps with technique as you can imagine in college its a quick demo and then off you go. but if i want to offer this as a treatment i want to feel confident in what i am doing. Can anyone recommend anything please. xx
When I did my Itec we used the two louise Tucker books ;
An Introductory Guide to Massage
An Introductory Guide to Anatomy & Physiolology

As we covered each section we had practice times plus illustrated notes on the area.

Jack

YouTube can be quite good, after you watch a few different therapists parts of your brain start to click and you think ahhh I could.... and that looks good.

My lecturer says we should go to different salons to feel different styles and techniques but unfortunately that's not an option for me until I make it big myself :(

Lindsey x

I truly hope your training is a bit more 'in depth' than a quick demo!!

As above, youtube is good for having a look at techniques, also, if your college has level 3 beauty or complementary therapy courses perhaps you could book in on one of their salon days as a client? You may even get it for a very reduced rate as a student..not saying they will be as good as an experienced therapist in a high street salon, but its another way of learning..
Also try and go with your instincts and 'see' whats underneath the skin with your hands, not your eyes..sounds wierd, but go with the flow....

In addition to the college books on anatomy, some of us also bought ' The Muscle Book' by Paul Blakey...very easy to use and clear diagrams! I refer to it a lot to show clients where their problems are etc...
Good luck with your course..I love massage!

thank you guys. Its the level 3 i am doing just feel the training isnt as good as other colleges i have been to but this may be due to our tutor being off sick for the last couple of weeks and not really having anyone else in the class so just let loose on each other, Suppose its a confidence thing aswell, as i like to fully understand the ins and outs of everything before doing it.But yes i feel it was just a quick demo then practise on each other and now were moving onto another part of the body we have covered legs front and back just done the back which is where i am getting confused i think. will have a look and get the books mentioned thanks again.xx

When you say you feel like your missing out because your lecturer has been off sick, I know how you feel!

I really wanted to come on here yesterday and post a topic about my college strikes. My three lecturers have made us miss 64hrs so far and are proposing striking 3 days a week until Easter which gives us 3 hours a week for an entire 13 week block!

Sorry to hijack your thread a bit there but had to get that out lol however I see relevance in the fact that we are on courses that promise X amount of hours teaching to enable us to become competent, confident therapists.

I think it is important to let the college know that you don't feel that you are being given the time and knowledge needed to become confident. Hopefully they should help get you the correct resources as I'm sure this will be stressing you out a bit.

Sorry if I've went on a bit but I think I can understand how your feeling.

Lindsey x

hi lindsey
yes gonna mention it on monday i think. Although already mentioned about one of the tutors lol dont want to feel like a nag. but when i did my level 2 in manchester we did alot more theory and practical demos with tutors, i understand everyone has different ways of learning, but get frustrated if i feel that i dont think i am getting what i expect from a training course as to make good therapists you have to have good tuition for thr ground basis surely lol . Sure it will get better if not may book on a private massage course but will try the books first see how i go. hope you get sorted hunny.xx

Thanks. Yeah our first block was really intensive but now its just a joke (a very unfunny one!) Good luck on Monday I'm sure they'll just see someone taking an active part in thier education and not a nag lol.

:) x

Latest posts

Back