Waxing Problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauty_girl

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm currently doing an NVQ level 2 Beauty Therapy and iv bought a Hive link pack. Iv been doing my own facial waxing. I melty wax between 4 and 5 on the 500cc heater. I do all the right steps. I'm left with red patches even the day after and time before last even had a scar on my top lip! What could be going wrong? I spread it thinly. Should I use a different wax? Could it be that the wax isn't hot enough? Thanks

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

I would like to add its honey wax. Maybe I should use hot wax?

Sounds like you're burning yourself. Turn it down to 3/4. Cleanse the area and apply a very thin layer of waxing oil (you can get this at the professional beauty show in march if you're unsure) and that should stop the wax sticking to the skin, allowing safe removal. Hth x

Thanks Pinkbunny28. The wax doesn't feel hot though because I tested it. They don't mention anything about oil. I use the pre wax spray provided and the post wax lotion. X

Also when I go to a salon they use honey wax and the same preparation. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Just worried about doing it for my assessments if they end up with red marks or scars. On me they aren't too bad. Il have to try the oil on me bit can't do that at college. I will ask my tutor too I think. X

I also use Hive Heaters and use my waxes at these temperatures;
Strip 2.75-3
Non Strip 2.5
The temperature of the room and time of year etc all can affect the temperature of the wax but those settings you are using sound quite high.

Jack

Yes I would agree to turn the wax down a bit....:)

You won't be able to use oil in your assessments but it's good to get into the habit as it literally has revolutionised my way of waxing :D
I'm assuming you've been taught to use talc? Use a thin layer of that instead. Bit of a pain on the upper lip so do it with your finger instead.

Wax doesn't need to be hot. It's called warm wax ;) I do know what you mean though and sometimes the temperature does need to be a bit higher depending on your heater. I know mine needs to be on 5 most of the time but it's a rubbish heater (getting a new one soon yay!) x

you might be getting a friction burn either off the paper , make sure you're supporting the skin well when you pull the strip off

As you get more familiar with your wax, you'll be able to tell if the wax is at the right temperature by the consistency of it. It takes a little while, but now I can tell at a glance if it's too hot or too cool. I do agree with the others though, sounds like it a bit too hot and your possibly not supporting the skin enough. :)

Aside from your technique or the temp of the wax, it could be that you're allergic to the wax or that you're applying perfumed lotion or moisturiser too soon after your waxing.

Try applying nappy rash creme straight after and see how it next time.

Thanks all. Iv only been taught to use talc with hot wax. When I test the wax it doesn't seem too warm. I think I will try talc on the area first and then make sure I'm pulling it off right. Am I right to say that I could use hot wax for facial hair? I thought it wasn't coarse enough for that. I am doing it on myself though so that may have something to do with it. I may have to get some sensitive wax too. X

hot wax is great for sensitive types though and yes it is suitable , very suitable for facial waxing. just get a good quality wax like la reine blanche or perron rigot or similiar

Latest posts

Back