Mobile spray tanning help & advice :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locket93

Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of starting up a mobile spray tanning business and I have just purchased an L.A. Tanning kit which was on offer at a great price. It included:

1 x HVLP 5008 Maxi Spray Tan Machine
1 x Skylight Pop Up Tanning Cubicle
4 x ANY Litre bottles of your favourite LA Spray Tan Solution
20 x Disposable Bras
100 x Disposable Caps
50 x Disposable G- Strings
10 x Nose Filters
50 x Branded Sticky Feet, 3ml thick foam, full stick. NOT CARDBOARD
1 x 200ml Golden LA Tanning Self Tan Mousse
1 x 200ml Brown LA Tanning Self Tan Mousse
1 x 200ml Disco LA Tanning Self Tan Mousse
3 x Washable Self Tanning Application Mitts
1 x 150ml Golden Fast Drying LA Tan in a Can
1 x 150ml Brown Fast Drying LA Tan in a Can
1 x 50ml Booster Drops
25 x Disclaimer Forms/ History of Treatment Forms
25 x Pre Care -After Care Advice/ Appointment Leaflets
25 x A5 Advertising Leaflets
25 x Loyalty Cards
2 x LA Tanning Posters

Is there anything else I would need to get started? (Excluding training & insurance)

Also, any tips and advice you could give me is really appreciated :)

Barrier cream for hands and feet but that's tiny. You may want some towels for people to stand out on too x

A diary and an extension cable (for plugging in the machine if a plug isn't close)

You will need black towels. I use a medium one in the bottom of my tent as it can be a bit slippy without and it saves overspray build up in the floor of your tent. A small towel at the entrance of the tent for the client to step out onto and I also use a small one under my machine. I also have a black double bed sheet which I put on the floor under the tent. I'm paranoid about getting solution on peoples carpets.
You will need a small pair of pliers to use when removing the needle of your gun for cleaning. I got nice pink ones in Hobbycraft.
I always have hair bobbles and head bands in my bag. Saves clients going off raking for them.
And do u have a bag to keep all your kit in?
Barrier cream? Can't remember if that was on your list.
Xx

And maybe some gloves for yourself (not usually a problem unless you do a few in succession) and some spray and kitchen towel or couch roll to clean tent and to test the spray beforehand.

thanks for all the advice!

could vaseline be used as barrier cream? when i've had spray tans previously they used vaseline? or would you think this looks a bit unproffessional?

how does everybody market themselves?

sorry for all the questions, just want to be as prepared as possible :)

Couch roll is great rather then towels is more hygienic and save on the washing. Extension lead is a must!! A hair band is great if clients have fridges (get a brown or black one). Remember if you can get free sample of tans from most tanning companies. Good luck :wink2:

thanks for all the advice!

could vaseline be used as barrier cream? when i've had spray tans previously they used vaseline? or would you think this looks a bit unproffessional?

how does everybody market themselves?

sorry for all the questions, just want to be as prepared as possible :)

Aquaous cream is good to use as a barrier cream. U can get a massive tub for £1. I use this and just put it in a nice pump bottle.
As for marketing, Facebook is always good. I got on alot better from having an actual full profile for my business rather than just a business page.
X

To get my name out and people to see my tans i pick a couple of friend who working different places and sprayed them for free and then they recommended me to the girls they worked with and other friends. Facebook is great and free!

Aquaous cream is good to use as a barrier cream. U can get a massive tub for £1. I use this and just put it in a nice pump bottle.
X

Thats great advice, I think I'll go out and buy a tub today!

I though Facebook would be popular!

Thanks guys you've all been really helpful, I've had so much advice from this site it's really great for a newbie like me :D

A clip on light just incase it is dark in your client's home. Also, you may not want to purchase this right away due to the cost, but i have an extractor fan. Probably not necessary if you are only doing one or two tans at a time as there should be little overspray but if you are doing more than this I think it is a good investment, especially whilst you will be tanning in other people's homes. If you search for extractor fans I'm sure you'll find a lot of discussion on this subject.

Good luck with your new venture x

Baby wipes, to remove residue from clients palms.
I think everything else you have missed has been mentioned.
But just to reiterate, an extensions lead is a MUST!
Also, different sticky feet-I have used the thick foam with full foot stickiness and unless its the great ones which are near on perfect to find-they will be a nightmare.
I use OMG pink and white cardboard with 2 simple strips of stickiness and they are great.
x

Latest posts

Back