Make-up course?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlie_c_06

Reaction score
hello!
i have done my nvq on basic make-up. day, evening and special ocassion i want to do more bridal make-up but do you think i should go on another special course for bridal make-up. what different things do you learn in a bridal makeup course? or is it the case of just practsing? x

Hi - It depends how much input you had when you did your NVQ - courses vary even though the National criteria is the same - some colleges/tutors devote more time to experimentation with make-up.
A short course on bridal make-up will give you really useful hints/tips/techniques to deal with the various aspects of bridal i.e. photographic make-up/helping the bride on the day & how to manage what can be a very stressful period of time (That's you - not the bride!!).
However, if you are a creative soul and are good at researching for yourself - i.e. taking inspiration from bridal magazines, and if you also spend a fair amount of time working with cosmetics & performing general make up treatments, you will, through practice be able to develop well without the need for a course. All the best x

I agree, it depends on how confident you feel. If you are comfortable with make up, then just work on building up a portfolio and some experience.

It also depends on how good your NVQ training was. I did mine part time (evenings) and the tuition was so rushed. Also, the products we used were just awful! So I did do a separate course, because I wasn't confident enough to do make up on anyone except my friends (like I always had anyway!)

I did a 3 day course with the London College of Fashion. It was brilliant and I learnt a lot more than I did in my NVQ training.

i was looking into the london fashion one. how do i start my portfolio, any tips?

Not really I'm still working on mine. Hopefully some more experienced geeks will chime in.

But on the last couple of weddings I did my brides gave me jpegs of a couple of photos where you could see the make up well / of me doing the make up that their wedding photographer took. I emailed him and asked if I could use his photos on my site as long as I gave him photo credit and a link to his site. He was happy with me doing that. So definitely speak to the photographer when you're doing a wedding.

If you know anyone that does wedding (or other) photography, set up a shoot. Do up some friends and get someone to take photos (or take some yourself) until you have some more bridal stuff.

Latest posts

Back