Question re: Gelish foundation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nail angel 67

Reaction score
Now I know that Gelish Foundation has to go on ultra ultra thin but sometimes I find there's still excess on the wand which runs down onto the brush area and therefore it goes onto the nail thicker. When this happens I use my gel brush to wipe off the excess and try and make it really thin - do you think this is OK or will it cause problems?

Also, I still find that when I haven't got that excess on the brush, after doing 5 nails there doesn't seem to be hardly anything left to wipe the free edge properly and I can't actually tell if it's covered the free edge. I can tell on the nail itself if it's fully covered as when I hold it up to the light it's shiny but I can't quite tell this way with the free edge. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

All bottle should be standing upright. When you take your brush out of the botttle you can just wipe the excess off against the inside of the bottle, this will stop any running down whilst your working.

As for not knowing if you have enough foundation on the free edge, you can take a tiny bit and just go over all free edges . You will know if your capping well as you won't get chipping. x

I really think people are starting to overthink this.

I have been doing Gelish for over a year and initially I was applying a thin layer not scrubbing it in, just applying like a coat of basecoat then dry brushing after curing.
I never had any problems and it removed just fine and dandy.

When told to keep it as thin as possible by Georgie Smedley I did and I wipe my brush as it comes out the bottle and swipe some FG down the middle of 5 nails. I then go back and spread it out over the whole nail scrubbing it in and making sure it is capped.

Same timings as before and same lovely results.

Now with all of these threads (so so SO many threads :grr: ) about how thin it has to be applied I was getting a bit paranoid :eek:, so today I have been scraping all the excess off my brush on the neck of my bottle making sure I am applying as thin as thin can be scrubbity scrub scrubbing!
Result...10 minutes added to my time, and little circular patches on my first colour coat
:irked:

So I am going to ignore all of these pernickity little threads now and go back to what I was doing well, because it wasn't broke and it doesn't need fixed.

Everyone stop stressing and chill, it is a basecoat, apply it thinly, cover the whole nail and cap it, and breath whilst doing so !

I have been doing Gelish for over a year and initially I was applying a thin layer not scrubbing it in, just applying like a coat of basecoat then dry brushing after curing.

When told to keep it as thin as possible by Georgie Smedley I did and I wipe my brush as it comes out the bottle and swipe some FG down the middle of 5 nails. I then go back and spread it out over the whole nail scrubbing it in and making sure it is capped.

Now with all of these threads (so so SO many threads :grr: ) about how thin it has to be applied I was getting a bit paranoid :eek:, so today I have been scraping all the excess off my brush on the neck of my bottle making sure I am applying as thin as thin can be scrubbity scrub scrubbing!
Result...10 minutes added to my time, and little circular patches on my first colour coat

So I am going to ignore all of these pernickity little threads now and go back to what I was doing well, because it wasn't broke and it doesn't need fixed.

Everyone stop stressing and chill, it is a basecoat, apply it thinly, cover the whole nail and cap it, and breath whilst doing so !

I've been paranoid about this whole basecoat thing too. I have had good results with just a thin layer, but today I decided to try scrubbing it after reading all of these threads and again it's just taking me a bit more time.

The only thing I worry about is when removing, I seem to have a little residue on the nails, which I'm assuming is from applying it a little too thickly.

Ha ha...... And relax.....

I've never scrubbed, I apply as thin as I can. I admit I could do it thinner if I really laboured the issue but to be honest its never caused a problem. So i'm sticking with what I know works for me too x

Thanks for your views. It really does start making you paranoid doesn't it? Thing is I'm still getting the odd chipping on clients and was wondering if it was because it wasn't thin enough so needed to know I was doing it just right. Mind you, the chips generally appear more on the thumbs and first fingers after about a week or so - do you think this may be down to the client being a bit heavy handed? It doesn't happen so much on me or on some of the others.

Also, re the question on brushing the excess off with a gel brush, if too much does get on the nail in the first place, do you think this would work?

Latest posts

Back