Orange palms - disaster!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulesC

Reaction score
I sprayed a lady who insisted on being darker so i gave her a cautious final mist. She insisted on helping me carry me gear to the car (BTW I'm mobile!) even though i said i would do it. The next day she had one totally orange hand. I told her she must have touched her skin & then recalled her helping me (i think she must have touched the towel she'd stood on). Her hand looked awful & isn't the best advertisement for me either. I advised various methods i could think of - exfoliate using glove, wash-up liquid & sugar & even diluted bleach. She then said she had dermatitis - which she failed to mention when completing her client record. What else could i have advised??? Also, i was told never to use barrier cream to avoid it transferring to tanned areas e.g. if client scratched their nose. I now feel i should invest in a barrier cream but don't really know what to do with it as i was never trained to do so. ALso, I've never used a buffing mitt & wonder if there are any benefits to it? I sound like a right thicko LOL, but your advice is valuable x

Orange hand or palm? X

Orange hand or palm? X

Her entire palm & fingers I did 2 others in her household at same time & they were all ok I'm baffled x

Well yes she must've got it on her when helping u? Or slept with her hand on her body?

Well yes she must've got it on her when helping u? Or slept with her hand on her body?

Thats what i thought. What should i advise to remove it if it happens again? Obviously i will insist on ho help with my gear

Baking soda works with some scrubbing lol this happened to me once ages ago tanning myself thinking tanning over my hands would be a good idea lol! Next morning was a disaster! I brought one if those foot scrubbing stones and baking soda and scrubbed away in the shower and it worked! Don't think it would be wide to recommend it to a paying client though this was just home experience haha x

It has been caused by SOMETHING your client did after you tanned her - that could be one of many things, touching herself without thinking, sleeping with her hand on another part of her body, picking up your towel while helping you pack up (although I wouldn't expect there to be that much tan solution on your towel that it tanned the whole palm).

Basically once they are tanned they need to go chill out and not touch anything lol. You could recomend she sleep with cotton gloves on or socks on her hands in future as the most likely reason her hand went orange is that she touched herself in her sleep.

It sounds like you have given her enough choices of how to get the colour off fo now so well done on that and don't panic about a tanned palm it happens as clients think they know better than us when it comes to what they can and can't do after their tan.

tell her to rub toothpaste into her palm - it will remove it. x

I always get an orange hand, is because I sleep with one hand under my face. I doubt it is your fault!

tell her to rub toothpaste into her palm - it will remove it. x
I'd be very surprised if it did. When I got really dark palms and feet (pretty much every time I've had a spray tan!) nothing took it off. I tried lemon juice, salt, sugar, scrubbing, acetone nail varnish remover, toothpaste, cif.... anything I could find and I still had black/brown hands and feet!

In fact the only thing that's ever taken off a tan I've had has been going swimming then exfoliating like crap! I think the chlorine dissolved it :biggrin: Thinking about that... maybe a mild bleach solution would take it off!

sensodyne gently whitening toothpaste. I spilt some all over my palms and thought I would just have to put up with it. I washed my hands straight away but obviously it didn't come off. I rubbed some toothpaste in which didn't have much effect, but then used the toothpaste as if it was a soap and hey presto - worked a treat - not a trace of tan at all. I would add, that this was probably a couple of hours after I did it, so not after full development time, but still worth a try.

Thanks ladies, you've made me feel much better about this. I saw her before and she's managed to get most of it off. She's told some other people who know me and has put a potential new client off having one (she said she'll stick to sun beds). Its pretty annoying when it really isn't my fault.

BTW she pressed me into going a bit darker & i don't think it looks good, although she says people have commented that she looks like she's been on her hold. Any advice, on how to gently persuade someone they will be dark enough ??

Thanks ladies, you've made me feel much better about this. I saw her before and she's managed to get most of it off. She's told some other people who know me and has put a potential new client off having one (she said she'll stick to sun beds). Its pretty annoying when it really isn't my fault.

BTW she pressed me into going a bit darker & i don't think it looks good, although she says people have commented that she looks like she's been on her hold. Any advice, on how to gently persuade someone they will be dark enough ??

I don't give people the option lol

They fill the consultation form out & I ask a couple of questions on there expectations, how they tan naturally ect.. & then I spray them with whatever I deem fit.

I always have girls say spray me with the darkest you've got. I say ok if you want to rock the tangerine look that's fine by me just never say you've been to me as I will deny lol they soon change there mind & let me spray them with what ever I decide x

Hello
I get this when I get a tab as I think I sleep on my hand in the morning I just take a nail brush and scrub my hands and it turns out perfect try that x

I don't give people the option lol

They fill the consultation form out & I ask a couple of questions on there expectations, how they tan naturally ect.. & then I spray them with whatever I deem fit.

I always have girls say spray me with the darkest you've got. I say ok if you want to rock the tangerine look that's fine by me just never say you've been to me as I will deny lol they soon change there mind & let me spray them with what ever I decide x

Good idea, i'll remember that! lol tangerine look!!

Hello
I get this when I get a tab as I think I sleep on my hand in the morning I just take a nail brush and scrub my hands and it turns out perfect try that x

Thanks Auzz, she did try that but because she has dermatitis it was not as easy as it might be for me & you. It doesn't look too bad today - if I'm really honest, I'm more worried about my reputation now.!!! x

There is not a lot you can do about what she says to people but at the end of the day anyone who has ever had a tan will know that it's up to you to look after your tan for 8 hours after the therapist leaves. We CAN'T babysit our clients through those 8 hours watching their every move to ensure they do as they are told (meaning: follow their aftercare).

All we can do is our best aplication and give the clients the do's & don'ts to follow after we have left.

If you every get any queries from clients or prospective clients about orange/tanned palms you should just state that 'orange palms are only ever caused by you touching yourself after I have left because I always use barrier cream to protect the palms during spraying OR use wipes to clean the palms at the end of each tan' (or insert what ever it is that you do to ensure the palms are tan/solution free before you leave).

There is nothing more you can do and worrying will NOT make things any different.

Have faith in your abilities and know that there will always be some clients that don't follow prep/aftercare advice. All you can do is ensure that you do your best and act professional at all times.

yeh this is what i thought to ive done it myself many times lol x

Thanks BaggyBear, i don't use a barrier cream but think i will invest in one now. What do you use?

I find anti bacteria alcohol gel works a treat to get tan off palms of hands, it's gentle to an doesn't take much scrubbing to get off :) xxxx

Latest posts

Back