Massage - Legs then arms or arm/leg leg/arm?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lozza1964

Reaction score
Morning Geeks. Just wondering everyone's body massage routine? For 20 years I have done face, arms, legs then turned the client but yesterday in my MLD class the tutor said she always did face, right arm, right leg, left leg, left arm, abdomen and made me question my routine,,,what are your thoughts on this and why do you do it in the order you do....thanks :o

I do the back (inc neck & shoulders), back of legs, flip the client over, front of legs, abdomen, arms and finish on the face.

Never really questionned why I do it in this order other than it's how I trained and it feels quite comfortable to do it that way.

Interested to see how everyone else does it.

I was told when I trained that you will find a routine that flows for you and that no routine is incorrect. When you massage you usually end up working on autopilot so your unconcious mind just does what it sees as the natural routine.

This might just be the routine you were trained in because you learnt it parrot fashion and therfore it is set in your mind that, that way is the way to work or it might just be the way you find easiest and flows for you.

So long as you do all areas it doesn't matter what order they are done.

Front of legs, arms, (face if doing that), turn over, back of legs, back + I finish with a hot towel on their back :) x

I do start them lying on there front, pressures to feet then back of legs,back neck and shoulders,turn, then legs, arms, face and scalp. :)

So funny how we all do it different, I always work bottom to top so client starts face down, back of legs,back, turn over then front of legs, feet, stomach, arms face and finish on head....x

I start them face down- Then work upwards- Pressure to feet, then legs, back, neck, shoulders- Turn over, feet, legs, stomach(if doing), arms and hands, decollete, face and scalp 😊

Hi Geeks

When I was in College I learned - back neck and shoulders, back legs - turn over - front legs, abdomen, arms.

Then I worked in a health spa retreat and they trained me to do - back, neck and shoulders, back of legs - turn over - front legs, arms, face and decolote and then abdomen.

The reason for ending on the abdomen was to end in the centre of the body and in turn achieve a balanced energy. I find this way most comfortable now and it seems natural now.

I do all different ways for different massages ie;

Swedish: start on front, left leg, left arm, right leg, right arm, stomach (optional), chest/decollette, turn over, left leg, right leg, back.

Aroma; start on front, face, scalp, arms, stomach (optional), legs, turn over, legs, back.

Hot stone; start on back, back, left arm, left leg, right arm, right leg, turn over, right arm, right leg, left arm, left leg!

I guess it all has to do with how you've been trained and what works best to suit you and the client.

Karaxxx

I cleanse the face, left arm, left leg, right leg, right arm, abdomen, shoulders, face, scalp, turn them over and do the back and finish with hot towel, I feel it flows if i work round the client x

Hi Lozza!
Im sure that everyone would agree that theres lots of different ways to perform massage and theres not really a wrong way! My aromatherapy massage consists of the backs of legs, back/neck and shoulder, fronts of legs, stomach, arms, décolleté, face and finishing with the scalp, I personally think its more relaxing finishing with the scalp and applying gentle pressure to the temple x

Last edited:
It depends on the type of massage and what you are trying to achieve. For sports/remedial work it depend purely on what the problem is.

For a more general relaxation massage, always start on the back. The reason being that the nerves run along the spinal canal and spread out to different parts of the body. It is the most effective way to relax the CNS and achieve relaxation.

So, for a relaxation/swedish type full body massage I start with back/shoulders/neck, glutes, backs of legs, front of legs, abdomen, arms, neck/shoulder/chest, face, head and finish on the feet.

Last edited:
There's definately no right or wrong answer and that's a good thing I think :)

I always start with the back because it feels like a good introduction to the treatment and if you know the needs of the back straight away re tension, knotts etc then you can get a feel for if you might need to work for a bit longer on the back (because I am not self employed, sadly perhaps, I am working to a time limit).

After the back I do the legs/ankels/feet and then turn them over the work back up the body so that I finish on the scalp.

lol just realised that my aromatherapy massage is the other way round....face up feet, legs arms face, turn over back, legs pressures on feet.....never really registered that it was so different!! I also start with hot mits and tea tree on the feet to get rid of any little bits of sand etc or whiffiness!! (nothing worse than massaging smelly foot juice all over your client!!!)

I do Leg Leg, Arm Arm, Stomach, Chest, Face, Back of Legs, Back

I always finish with the back as this saves the best til last:p.
My routine is scalp,arms,chest,tum(if required),legs,feet,turn over,backs of legs then the back,neck and shoulders.
I was originally trained to do one arm then work down that complete side,swap over sides and then other side but I hated doing it like that so adjusted the routine to suit me.
It really is down to personal preference,training and the individual needs of the client I think. There is no right or wrong way as long as its flowing and covers all areas.

Latest posts

Back