Spray Tanning - Do you do 1 coat or 2

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littleem

Reaction score
Hi, I currently use Sienna X and for my clients I have my truespray machine turned right down to just under 1 turn on the gun and do 2 light coats. I use just under 50ml solution doing my tans this way and get great results for how they last andwear off. I have just have spoken to another company as I have received some samples from them and they have said to do 1 coat but have the machine turned up more and still use 50ml... Any suggestions would be greatly received. thanks :p

Different tan different settings, try your way and theirs to see which gives you the look you prefer, lasts well, and good fade etc.
Which tan was it? As other geeks who use the same solution may be able to help xX

I use Sienna X also and do just the 1 coat and I use approx 30 - 40ml with the gun spray turned low. My clients never have to wait long to get dressed and there's never any spray tan sitting in client's body hair (if you know what I mean?!)

I do one coat and a quick light mist over after I've checked them over if I think there is a need.

I use approx 40ml per tan.

Last edited:
I do one coat and a quick light mist over after I've checked them over if I think there is a need.

I use approx 4ml per tan.

lol baggybear, do you mean 40mls??

lol baggybear, do you mean 40mls??
Yeah it was supposed to be 40ml (will go and edit it so it does say 40ml :wink2:) think I need to clean my keyboard, the keys seem to be sticking and not always recognising when I know I pressed them lol.

Thanks, the new tan I am trying is Nouvatan. Just had a tan 2 coats gun turned as I do with Sienna and have used 40ml, so will update tomorrow with the colour etc x

Thanks, the new tan I am trying is Nouvatan. Just had a tan 2 coats gun turned as I do with Sienna and have used 40ml, so will update tomorrow with the colour etc x

I use Nouvatan, I do one coat with my dial set at between 8/9 then when the 1st coat is done I give a little waft over with my dial on the gun still set between 8/9 but the waft over is a lot quicker so not really a second coat.. I use 40-50ml works for me x

I do one coat with Nouvatan, 40-50mls.

I read the instructions for nouvatan that came with my kit. It said to do two light coats using 1oz of tan each time, my first guinea pig was very happy! Second go tomorrow. Might get same clients back again for single coat to see if there is much of a difference.

I read the instructions for nouvatan that came with my kit. It said to do two light coats using 1oz of tan each time, my first guinea pig was very happy! Second go tomorrow. Might get same clients back again for single coat to see if there is much of a difference.

I trained with nouvatan and was told 1 coat. Odd we have been told 2 different things, guess each trainer must have their own way of doing it.

Lush-lash, can you help? I'm really confused by the 'second coat', I've read lots of threads on here where people do a light mist over once they have sprayed the whole body once. What does a light mist mean? I.e. Do you get them to stand in all the same positions again and spray them lightly or literally just spray a light mist all over?

I've been wondering this for a little while now! :)

Well, just showered off my guide tan, I was sprayed with 8% 2 light coats using 40ml of solution, I am very fair skinned to start. my tan is really natural and great for everyday. Lovely colour and no grabby bits on ankles etc which I get with 8% Sienna X. I do think my clients would think it is a bit light for a night out so might have to try 10% to give a deeper tan. Any thoughts xx

Rhona, what is your most popular % with Nouvatan x

I trained with nouvatan and was told 1 coat. Odd we have been told 2 different things, guess each trainer must have their own way of doing it.

Lush-lash, can you help? I'm really confused by the 'second coat', I've read lots of threads on here where people do a light mist over once they have sprayed the whole body once. What does a light mist mean? I.e. Do you get them to stand in all the same positions again and spray them lightly or literally just spray a light mist all over?

I've been wondering this for a little while now! :)

I don't do a full second coat as in make them go back to starting position, when I've done the tan I just touch up a little, so when i ask them to turn all the way around slowly so i can check every were is even i just do the extra touch up spray at this point (if that makes sense?)

for example .. I do the full body tan as normal & then I say 'can you just very slowly turn around for me to check every were is even' It's at this point that I do 1 extra quick spray over face, an extra quick blast down the front of arms & front of legs, that's it really..

I don't use any more solution for doing this x

One coat is enough and have the setting so the tan is not tacky or coming out in anyway runny (if that makes sense), Nouvatan is natural looking, so not as scary as sienna when going a bit darker, so if you have a few clients I would advise getting 10 and 14% so you can make 12, then you have three options to offer (I've only ever used 8% once, 10 is usually ok for fairer clients)

Were you trained with sienna x as when I was trained I was told only do 1 coat as it would not make any difference if you did a 2nd coat you would just be wasting solution xx

So long as your applying approx 40-50ml per client it does not matter if that is in one coat or 2. Obviously to do 2 coats and still use the same amount of solution as 1 coat your gun is going to need to be set a lot lower.

I was taught 2 thin coats and the reason given was if you miss a part of the body on your first spray your highly unlikely to miss the same part of the body on the second coat therefore making sure you don't miss any parts of the body and you get a nice tan.

I feel confident enough in my aplication and my solution to do 1 coat with my gun set higher and this saves me time, I always make sure to check the body over and I touch up any aereas that look like they need it.

There is no right or wrong when it comes to spraying 1 coat or 2 so long as your total solution used is at the correct level (approx 35-50ml).

Were you trained with sienna x as when I was trained I was told only do 1 coat as it would not make any difference if you did a 2nd coat you would just be wasting solution xx

Thats what i was taught, but as baggybear says as long as the same amount of solution is used i guess it doesnt matter.

I use one coat and check at the end sometimes with an extra misting on face shoulder area if required.
I have tried many ways in the past and found this gives the best results for myself, I've been Spray Tanning for quite some time.
I was taught that you go up percentage wise if darker colour is desired. As an example Urban Tan comes in 4 shades so i can go up and down and mix colours and use the next shade up for contouring and definition.
A little more restricted with Xen Tan as one shade, occasionally use the booster drops to darken the tan.
I use Xen Tan and Urban Tan with an Urban Tan Mist gun usually set on 4, clients can put clothes on within a few of mins. I use approx 30-40ml max per tan.

I don't do a full second coat as in make them go back to starting position, when I've done the tan I just touch up a little, so when i ask them to turn all the way around slowly so i can check every were is even i just do the extra touch up spray at this point (if that makes sense?)

for example .. I do the full body tan as normal & then I say 'can you just very slowly turn around for me to check every were is even' It's at this point that I do 1 extra quick spray over face, an extra quick blast down the front of arms & front of legs, that's it really..

I don't use any more solution for doing this x

Thanks for clearing that up, I guess I actually do the same! Was just wondering if you full on spray them again but I understand now ;) xx

Latest posts

Back