Do you wear a face mask during tanning?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEVERTOOTANNED

Reaction score
I have been doing spray tanning a while now (half the time in my own home) and when clean I notice a lot of tan is settling on things and you can also feel it in the air.

My sister has said that can't be good to be breathing that in all the time. Has anyone thought about wearing a face mask whilst tanning? Would you?

I know ppl will probably say it's all natural and no parabens, but then back in the 70s we didn't know asbestos was harmful either?!!? :sad:

Thoughts would be fab, thank you!

I have started to use one - just the disposable ones - I noticed after doing lots of tans over Xmas that I felt dizzy. It could have been where I was just hot and tired, but to be honest when you blow your nose its not pretty and cant really be good for you inhaling the mist all the time.

im thinking of starting to wear a mask, just worried what my clients might think lol, the only thing i hate about spray tanning is having brown round my nostrils after spraying!

Yes, I'm worried about what clients will think too.... will be glad when it's summer and I can have the window open. I may start wearing a mask then.... it can't be good for us!

I've just bought some masks, i've not felt well for a few years pain in ears and nose,pressure in sinisus.Have just changed tanning solution and been feeling a bit better, but made me think that it might be inhaling tan, i always feel off it after doing a tan.So i will give masks ago.:D

Highly recommened you wear FP2 or FP3 masks available most DIY/Ironmonger stores. I even pick them up brand new in packets at my local car boot. There are washable, and last ages. So not an expensive extra and will make you feel better. I never tan without one, whether its one tan or a dozen, always put it on & push the nose wire/foam tightly over the bridge of your nose, stops that staining and you enhaling the solution. I use these masks and have extraction fan wouldnt be without either to be honest.

iv just started wearing a mask because last week i done 8 spray tans in one day and my nose was all congested the next day and when i blew my nose it was all tan,awful,it got to the stage where i could taste it all week,now thats not healthy :eek:

iv just started wearing a mask because last week i done 8 spray tans in one day and my nose was all congested the next day and when i blew my nose it was all tan,awful,it got to the stage where i could taste it all week,now thats not healthy :eek:

gross isnt it.

I blew my nose one day after spray tanning & my snot (sorry lol) was all dark brown.... urghh it really isn't nice x

I would recommend using nose filters, probably a little less scary-looking for the client!

I've just bought some masks, i've not felt well for a few years pain in ears and nose,pressure in sinisus.Have just changed tanning solution and been feeling a bit better, but made me think that it might be inhaling tan, i always feel off it after doing a tan.So i will give masks ago.:D

Interesting Tiatia you saying this, I've felt similar. I've bought a mask to wear too.
X

I have been doing spray tanning a while now (half the time in my own home) and when clean I notice a lot of tan is settling on things and you can also feel it in the air.

My sister has said that can't be good to be breathing that in all the time. Has anyone thought about wearing a face mask whilst tanning? Would you?

I know ppl will probably say it's all natural and no parabens, but then back in the 70s we didn't know asbestos was harmful either?!!? :sad:

Thoughts would be fab, thank you!

I think comparing asbestos to spray tan solution is a tad over the top and only fuels further all this nonsense regarding cancer and spray tan solutions

Ok so we are humans and not fish so our lungs like to breath in fresh ,clean and dry air...moisture in air will inevitably lead to possible respiratory problems ...add solution to that (more so the initial color guide is the problem as this sticks to things)and the problem is compounded.

In terms of excess solution setteling on things I suspect you are applying the solution to the skin holding your gun to far away.

You should be applying with the gun held no more than 8 inches away from the skin.

In so doing over spray will be greatly reduced and therefore inhalation problems reduced greatly....and you will also use considerably less solution ...so a double plus

It is of course essential that you provide a safe and comfortable environment for both yourself and your customer so adequate air purification is essential...this can easily be achieved simply by using an extract module placed close to the spray tan application area which removes the air borne particles.

Sniffits for blocking the nasal passage in a way dont really work as you would simply inhale the particles through the mouth and therefore into the lungs

It is far better to use a mask if you are excessively spraying as this covers both the nasal and throat passages

All these suggestions are basic rules of thumb and really should have been covered in training

HTH

After reading so many threads about this now I'm feeling that their isn't any harm in being careful.
Ive not long qualified and during my training did 6 spray tans immediately after each other. No extraction fan and couldn't open the window as my trainer had lost the key.
I could hardly see due to all the spray in the air.
On my way home from training I had to stop the car twice to be sick and that night had a banging headache. I emailed my trainer as it made me so ill...her reply "I've never heard anyone have side effects to a spray tan"
I feel really cross that I was dismissed so much.

But my point is... If I was that ill then surely it's not 'good' for u to inhale it.
I'm going to be getting a mask. What's the harm in not?

Ps..I kept being told to move further away in my training. I have major issues with overspray, and use far too much solution.

I'm thinking my training was a waste of money :(

After reading so many threads about this now I'm feeling that their isn't any harm in being careful.
Ive not long qualified and during my training did 6 spray tans immediately after each other. No extraction fan and couldn't open the window as my trainer had lost the key.
I could hardly see due to all the spray in the air.
On my way home from training I had to stop the car twice to be sick and that night had a banging headache. I emailed my trainer as it made me so ill...her reply "I've never heard anyone have side effects to a spray tan"
I feel really cross that I was dismissed so much.

But my point is... If I was that ill then surely it's not 'good' for u to inhale it.
I'm going to be getting a mask. What's the harm in not?

Ps..I kept being told to move further away in my training. I have major issues with overspray, and use far too much solution.

I'm thinking my training was a waste of money :(
You are wise to get a mask if you are experiancing discomfort.
Dont pull your gun away...you will only increase the airborne particles and compound your problem.
Turn your output valve down,(you should only use no more than 45ml solution)and get closer to the skin...no more than 8 inches away.
How far away are you currently spraying???

I would recommend using nose filters, probably a little less scary-looking for the client!

Nose filters will indeed prevent inhalation through the nose....problem is we still need to breath so they will simply breath through there mouth ...and airborne particles will simply be inhaled through the mouth so much more advisable to use a mask which covers and protects both the nasal and through passages into the respiratory system
HTH

Last edited:
I used to yes as i hated having brown bogies!LOL!

I used to yes as i hated having brown bogies!LOL!
actually thats a very good point...so well worth wearing for that reason alone :eek::lol::hug:

I'm too far away, I know this now. I've only practiced on a few friends and DEFINATELY need to improve my technique before charging :(
I'm thinking of retraining somewhere else now as key parts of training were missed. (pre/post care and cleaning of equipment wasn't even mentioned!)
*sigh* feeling gutted now xx

I'm too far away, I know this now. I've only practiced on a few friends and DEFINATELY need to improve my technique before charging :(
I'm thinking of retraining somewhere else now as key parts of training were missed. (pre/post care and cleaning of equipment wasn't even mentioned!)
*sigh* feeling gutted now xx

before you go to that expense lets try and sort things out for you here
If you are only applying to a few friends then you have only just trained and really these things take time.

Keep practicing and get some usage and experience behind you
In terms of distance away from the skin lets take things slow as in dont jump strait into getting 8 inces away from the skin

Heres what to do

before your next application turn the volume output gage down a qtr turn and try on some couch roll and move closer to the skin by say an inch or so....get the hang of this and they try on a human:eek::lol:

After mastering this repeat the process of qtr turn down and an inch closer...and keep doing this till you get to within 8 " and that your using about 45ml...thats qtr cup full

Dont rush things and certainly dont go charging for the service till you've mastered things fully

Have some self confidence and keep at it practicing and all will be good
Good luck and happy tanning :Love:

Hi there

Does anybody know of a beauty supplier or manufacturer that sells spray tan masks in whole sale?

Regards,
B

I never used to wear a mask, but like some of you here, I also hate the brown bogie issue!!! I'm also mildly asthmatic so want to reduce the risk of setting anything off, and I find if I did more than a couple of tans in the same room I started to sneeze...!! Not good! So started wearing the masks a year or so ago, and no problems at all since.

I buy the cheapie disposable masks from Ellisons, with hooks to go over your ears. They're not expensive and for me they're a must to have in my kit. I've noticed a big difference for me.

I always offer one to my client - I tell them they don't need one as it's perfectly safe, but i'm wearing one as it can make me a bit chesty with my asthma, so they're welcome to one if they want it! (At least then it's not just me looking like I'm going in to operate!!). Also, if i'm spraying pregnant or asthmatic clients I tell them they need to wear one (Better safe than sorry)

Latest posts

Back