Using far too much solution - wrong technique?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulesC

Reaction score
Right heres the problem. i reckon i'm using 100ml per tan. I was trained to do 2 coats. I'm doing it all over twice (in full both times). My gun is set at 8 o'clock (perhaps i should change this?) but i think i defo need to look at my technique. I hold the gun approx 30cm away. I also have my front dial set at about 8 o'clock and use circular motions on legs & arms and go across the torso & back. I'm not sure i've got much faith in my teacher so would any of you lovely peeps please let me know your technique/routine please???

Right heres the problem. i reckon i'm using 100ml per tan. I was trained to do 2 coats. I'm doing it all over twice (in full both times). My gun is set at 8 o'clock (perhaps i should change this?) but i think i defo need to look at my technique. I hold the gun approx 30cm away. I also have my front dial set at about 8 o'clock and use circular motions on legs & arms and go across the torso & back. I'm not sure i've got much faith in my teacher so would any of you lovely peeps please let me know your technique/routine please???

Hi,

I haven't been doing tanning long myself but only used 50ml each time. Maybe by doing circular motions your using too much. I was trained to apply the tan vertically this way most of the tan goes on skin not in the tent or air. Do you use a tent and if so is it covered in solution.

I gave myself a spray last week and used 50ml just on my legs. I used the circular motion but when cleaning noticed there was far too much solution in tent. Maybe this is why you are using 100ml. Try the vertical way and see how much is used.

Don't know about your settings as I have a different gun and I only do 1 coat. But if they want a second coat on face then I will do this but from further away. Hth xx

xx

Which machine do you have? Also try 1 coat and 1 light mist x

I use the HVLP5008. Hadn't thought about vertical strokes.x

Guessing from your settings description that it is a 5008 or TS20 and the gun is the same on these machines.

With you black dial at the back set at 8 you should only be doing 1 coat. If you want to be doing 2 coats you need to turn the gun down, so towards the 9 maybe even closer to the 10 so that you spray 2 thin coats.

As for your training or the way you spray I spray vertically as up and down the body covers the most area with the least waste. My front dial is set to 6-12 and this is the best spray pattern for vertical spraying.

Here is a video that Steve@Nouvatan has done about the 5008/TS20 gun and it may help you with the settings:

cleaning and setting up a spray tan gun for a Maximist and TS20 - YouTube

I also spray vertically, 1 coat then if required light misting on shoulder etc. I use a different gun to yourself mine is more of a misting one. I have an HVLP that I started out with and I used a lot more solution with it. Now average about 30mls max.
You tube has lots of videos and good to take a look to perfect techniques etc, I would've thought you are wasting a lot of solution and pennies on the circular motions tho:( Are there maybe any Geeks nearby who would help you, quite a few in your neck of the woods on here??

Don't know of anyone in Liverpool area on here? Will try to find a video of vertical strokes. Anyone on here use circular strokes??? x

I've never seen circular motions.. Except from on Geordie Shore!!

Nouvatan have a video on their Facebook, but there are plenty more on YouTube.

20 May 2011 15:31 | Facebook

I agree, never heard of circular, only seen on Geordie Shore too (HOW bad is their tanning?!!?!?) and one guy at ExCel who was AWFUL and had a lot of overspray. I hope you save on mls when you go to using vertical! Good .luck

Ok guys, I've just changed solution from OMG to SiennaX and changed my back dial to 9o'clock & only used 30ml!!! Result!!!!

Thanks for all of your advice x

Ok guys, I've just changed solution from OMG to SiennaX and changed my back dial to 9o'clock & only used 30ml!!! Result!!!!

Thanks for all of your advice x

was the resulting tan ok? Xx

I was taught circles on arms n legs....

Lush-Lash - yes it was fine except client complained about having pale legs compared to rest of body. Don't really understand what happened there (she says not patchy) so i think i'll need to give her legs an extra coat next time! She is very freckly & i was worried that she'd complain about her freckles going darker, but she didn't say anything about the freckles on the rest of her body. I've agreed to knock a few £ off her next tan to compensate.
pinkknailss - thank god some one else has been taught same method ! - i was taught to go across on torso & cross face like a X.

I was trained to do back, side, front, side, all in vertical strokes. Light circles on hands and feet, 3 light strokes on face (front and each side).

I use the hose to dry off the client, but also ask her if she feels wet anywhere as this indicates to me that i would have used too much solution. Nobody has answered yes to that question yet (woohoo!) xx

I was trained to do back, side, front, side, all in vertical strokes. Light circles on hands and feet, 3 light strokes on face (front and each side).

I use the hose to dry off the client, but also ask her if she feels wet anywhere as this indicates to me that i would have used too much solution. Nobody has answered yes to that question yet (woohoo!) xx

I was trained to spray the same way, I get through 35 ml of solution.

Lush-Lash - yes it was fine except client complained about having pale legs compared to rest of body. Don't really understand what happened there (she says not patchy) so i think i'll need to give her legs an extra coat next time! She is very freckly & i was worried that she'd complain about her freckles going darker, but she didn't say anything about the freckles on the rest of her body. I've agreed to knock a few £ off her next tan to compensate.
pinkknailss - thank god some one else has been taught same method ! - i was taught to go across on torso & cross face like a X.

I always spray the legs a little more on each client x

Ive been trained to do vertical strokes never circular and the gun to be set at 6o'clock. This was the fake back way. Maybe book yourself onto a course to refresh your mind and get new tips? they are only about £50

Ive been using far too much too and was trained to use horizontol technique, shall i try doing it vertical?x x

Ive been trained to do vertical strokes never circular and the gun to be set at 6o'clock. This was the fake back way. Maybe book yourself onto a course to refresh your mind and get new tips? they are only about £50

Thanks, to be honest i've been thinking to retraining but don't know where to go. I'm in Liverpool so not sure if anyone can recommend???

Thanks, to be honest i've been thinking to retraining but don't know where to go. I'm in Liverpool so not sure if anyone can recommend???

hun If your qualified already I wouldn't bother doing another course, watch a load of you tube vids / take tips off salon geek & spray a couple of close friends to perfect it & you'll be about £50 better off. Just my advice lol x

Latest posts

Back