An old newbie - looking for advice!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkleydiva

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Think the forum is just great.

Just starting out in beauty, qualified with ITEC, and start my first job in 10 days time. Its a very smart day spa and while I am looking forward to it, am equally terrified of stuffing up too!

I am a very mature starter - at 48 years old! I have a background in nursing so am used to dealing with people, just get worried I will forget all I've learned in my panic to get treatments done on time :sad:

Any advice for a new starter who is anxious but equally excited too? :eek:

Thanks everybody

Just don't freak out! The anticipation is worse than the actual doing I think. Make sure you get your client in on time, be as professional as you can with them, get to know your products and where you put them and remember always make sure the client is warm and comfortable.

Tbh, don't worry about anything, I'm sure you'll do brill and if you've got any questions then dont be afraid to ask your colleagues or your boss, thats what they're there for!

Leanne
X

Hi everyone

Think the forum is just great.

Just starting out in beauty, qualified with ITEC, and start my first job in 10 days time. Its a very smart day spa and while I am looking forward to it, am equally terrified of stuffing up too!

I am a very mature starter - at 48 years old! I have a background in nursing so am used to dealing with people, just get worried I will forget all I've learned in my panic to get treatments done on time :sad:

Any advice for a new starter who is anxious but equally excited too? :eek:

Thanks everybody

Many of my clients have said (and I'm quoting here) they love the fact that I'm not young, thin, orange, wearing tons of makeup that's a different colour to my neck, Daisy the cow eyelashes and I'm someone who has a firm handshake and with whom they can have an intelligent conversation. People buy people.

Welcome, and all the very best to you.

BTW, I'm also an ex-nurse (but I'm only 29. (In my mind that is. I'm 41 in the flesh!!) :D

I'm 32 so kind of in the middle but only just starting out too :) just don't worry too much :) as a nurse things get critical quickly - this industry is about making people feel beautiful and in turn better about them selves... Not far removed from nursing :)

Thank you everybody for your responses.

Hope it is just the anticipation - only a week to go :)

Will keep you up to date with how it all goes.

Good to know I'm not the only ex-nurse pursuing another career and that my age may just help me :)

Thanks again, the reassurance is great

Some credit card -size pieces of card, with key words for each treatment. You won't need them, but if they're tucked in your pocket they'll act as a comfort blanket.

Good luck, you'll be great!
ps I was much older :)

Thanks dandelionpoppy - great idea.

Will start on them in the morning :)

I qualified last year aged 45. I am now 46 & have gone from being mobile to having my own place.

You will be fine hun, just stay calm & enjoy it all.

Best of luck xx

My life is never so straight forward :cry:

I was due to start my new job on Monday but my Dad passed away on Saturday :(

So I didn't start on Monday but am due in tomorrow. As much as I want to start I am not sure if it is too soon - but equally don't want to test the patience of my new employers :(

He has been ill for the past 5 months, but is still such a huge shock at my reaction to his passing. He was only 72.

The worst part for me is that it is his funeral tomorrow evening (NZ time), Thursday lunchtime UK time.

Can I concentrate on my first day in the business with this around my neck? Not sure what to do?

Don't want to let the spa down? Shall I just go and see how I cope?

Thank you for your advice everyone - really appreciated.

May be old, but this is new ground for me!

:sad:

Do sorry to hear about you dad not an easy time. My dad passed away in 2006 50 years old. All thought its difficult clients will and can be so what of a distraction you've done so well to qualify and start a new job just see how your first day goes you may be pleasantly surprised at the buzz you get from making others relaxed and beaittiful hun play it day by day speak to your boss explain you don't want to let her down just remember every day your dad would be so proud of your first a nurse now qualified in beauty with an Excellant job big hugs xxxxx

Thank you for your quick reply. Will give it a go and fingers crossed making others feel good will help :)

So sorry for you xx but maybe something new is just what you need. Look after yourself tho xxx

Thank you so much :)

Im so sorry for your loss :hug:, maybe working is best though to keep you busy xx

You are all so wonderful and supportive! Thank you. Glad to be part of this industry :)

So very sad for you hun, I lost my beloved grandad just before Xmas and it was heartbreaking. I agree with the other girls that work may be something to keep your mind busy tomorrow but I don't think anyone would judge if you didn't feel ready for it. You really have to decide what is best for you, if you can make it into work think how proud your Dad would be, but if you need more time I'm sure your employer will understand, and if not there will always be other jobs xxx

Honesty... best policy :) Speak to the salon owner and discuss it with them. They may be really stretched and it may be that you just helping with a treatment or two would help them enormously - or they may prefer to let you calm down and deal with your turmoil and feel you upset is more likely to damage their reputation.
Loosing a parent must be very hard, I found it very hard to loose both my surviving grand parents when I was pregnant within a month of each other 3 years ago... whilst it was a release for them it was terribly hard for all of us and frankly I would have told work to stuff it, but then my ex employer was not a nice place...

In hindsight I think working would have helped me get through the day, but we are all different.

Thank ou again. Will let you know how it goes tomorrow.x

Please do let us know take care Xxx

Well things aren't going too well today. Overnight (NZ) time my mum has collapsed :(

Am on my way home now, just at AKL airport waiting for my

Long flight :( to Manchester

Funeral postponed to next week, but at least will be there

Not sure if mum has had cva or mi, but either way not good news

Third visit to Manchester in 5 months - hate flying too

:cry:

Sorry geeks, just feels like will never start in beauty :(

Latest posts

Back