Waxing and massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunshineinme

Reaction score
Hello Geeks!

I have a bit of dilemma. I've been asked to do the massage and leg, bikini and underarm waxing during one visit.

Personally I think it's a no no. Even if I do massage first I think because it improves circulation and obviously affects the skin it would make my customers more sensitive and I am worried that waxing would be a nightmare. Not mentioning the drama of removing oil from the skin after the massage prior to waxing.

Can you please share your thoughts on this?

Many thanks x

I'm about to do my ITEC exam in massage and I have to say that my view would be no... not the same area at least. If they insist then compromise with a back and shoulders massage, but not on an area you have been waxing... (And I'd wax first...)
Some customers really don't understand that a proper massage is more than just rubbing them to make them feel a little more relaxed - they have no idea about lymphs and all the stuff you release from the muscle tissues etc so it's up to us to educate them as to WHY this is a bad idea :)

Thanks tinxy! I fully agree!

I will speak to her and hopefully she'll understand ;)

Has the client asked for a full body or a BNS massage?

Performing a full body massage AFTER waxing would be a no,no due to open follicles and doing the full body before waxing totally defeats the object of a relaxing massage.

Advise the client to have a BNS massage or to come in different days.She will thank you for your honesty.

Hya, its definately better to do it on another day.

Waxing before massage is a definate no-no and waxing after massage makes it really difficult to remove the hairs after having oil on the skin.

I've been in this dilema lots of times. You could offer a facial instead or a scalp massage if she insists on needing some relaxation.

Kindest Regards

Natasha J Gordon

As previously said ...
No massage and waxing together. Don't forget that oils penetrate and wax can react with the oils and bring an allergy or rash and massage after wax, as stated before, is not a good idea because of the open pores and either way - reaction might be ONE of many contra-actions.

the only area you would have to worry about would be the lower legs as you wouldnt be massaging the underarms and bikini areas. Will prob get shot down for this but I would wax first and then when it comes to the legs, give them a light massage using after wax oil instead of masage or aromatherapy oils. The skin shoudnt react as you are using an after wax oil andif the strokes are light you wouldnt be increasing the circulation too much. I have done this many times without any problem, but i am aware that many people will disagree with this. Do what you feel most comfortable with.:)

the only area you would have to worry about would be the lower legs as you wouldnt be massaging the underarms and bikini areas. Will prob get shot down for this but I would wax first and then when it comes to the legs, give them a light massage using after wax oil instead of masage or aromatherapy oils. The skin shoudnt react as you are using an after wax oil andif the strokes are light you wouldnt be increasing the circulation too much. I have done this many times without any problem, but i am aware that many people will disagree with this. Do what you feel most comfortable with.:)

I'll stick my neck right out here and admit that I have massaged clients after waxing.

A lady came to be recently who had had a full leg wax 2 hours prior to coming to me. Her skin was completely fine (no "chicken flesh", erythema or irritation), in fact, unless she had told me, I would never has guessed that she had been waxed! Her legs were absolutely fine.

We compromised with me using plain unscented oil (just grapeseed oil) on her legs and scented oil everywhere else. I didn't massage her legs too strongly and she was absolutely fine and the oil helped to condition the skin on her legs.

Personally (and as is so often the case in beauty therapy), I think you have to use your common sense if someone is really red and rashy after waxing then it would be plain daft to massage them!

PB
x

Last edited:
Thank you for all your comments. She's not my regular so I don't know how her skin would react to waxing etc.

I will offer her massage either BNS on the day or full body next day/day before. I'll see what she says.

Big kiss for your support :)

You would usually end with the relaxing treatment, however, you shouldn't massage straight after waxing.

You would usually end with the relaxing treatment, however, you shouldn't massage straight after waxing.

Thank you Kim for your precious comment! Xxxx

Latest posts

Back