Chloasma and MDA

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TracyS

Reaction score
Evening Geeks,

Ive had a friend come to me who has 2 patches of chloasma on her cheeks, quite dark roughly 20p piece in size. Her doc told her that she had exactly the same thing and had 1 (yes 1) MDA treatment (not course) and it disappeared so my friend should try that.

I have to be honest and say I told her I was pretty certain that it won't disappear after 1 MDA session but I was wondering if other geeks had any experience in this.

I use the skinbase crystal MDA system.

MDA and Chloasma are not 2 things Id put together but I'm willing to be corrected if my info is wrong.

What do you think?

Any advice on this would be greatly received

Thanks geeks

Hi, does your friend know what caused the dark patches? The MDA could benefit your client - I would also advise your client to keep her face out of the sun - the patches might then fade and along with the MDA she might see an improvement - all of this is a might as I have not seen your friends skin - good luck! x

Thanks for that. The first one appeared during her 1st pregnancy (10 years ago) and hasn't changed during that time. The second one is a lot more recent, maybe 12-18 months. She has had a pregnancy since the first one appeared, that was 8 years ago now, and didn't get any more.

Ive done 1 MDA on her and the older of the two seemed more faint which was pleasing.

I've advised her to use a high SPF in her moisturiser/foundation and keep her face in shade as much as she can but it's her GP's indication of 1 treatment of MDA and all will be fine which has baffled me!

Thanks for your advice though

xx

MDA will do absolutely nothing to lift melasma, in spite of certain manufacturers claims. If you think about the nature of the cells it really is not possible. Some melasma's are easier to treat than others, depending upon the depth - dermal or epidermal. I have great success treating melasma with specific peels, but these are medical use only along with correct topicals. For isolated lentigos IPL can prove effective.

In fact, MDA can actually appear to make melasma more evident, due to removal of dullened surface skin. I am completely baffled as to why your gp would recommend this. I would not be advising your client to go down this route.

Latest posts

Back