Best way to train? Opinions needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluffaduck

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been lurking for a while reading and collecting info. But I took the plunge and registered :D

I currently have no qualifications in beauty (had applied at a local college 4 years ago, got a place but couldn't go for personal reasons but now I know I need to do this!

I'm in my early 20's and have a 2 year old and hope to go self employed in the future.

Now my predicament is how to train? I am moving to a new area in the foreseeable future, I could go to college to do SVQ level 2 & 3 (taking 2 years) and this option is ok however im worried about how much of this course is 'core skills' maths English and it (I've done 2 years at college in social care and these are compulsory to all courses) and other things unrelated?

I hate the fuss of college and after years of being in classes with people just out of school that are only interested in ema and don't mind being disruptive etc (OBVIOUSLY not every class / student is like this)

So the other option is seperate courses? Which are best? Cost? And financial help (I'm a stay at home mum and my partner works part time shifts)

What are the pros and cons of each of these methods? I want to provide a quality service to any clients I may have :)

I am interested in waxing, nails, lashes, tanning, facials etc

Thanks for reading :)

I've been on a lot of recruitment websites lately and most places ask for level 3 or hnd.
Im almost at the end of my level 3 and two years at college has flown in! Its been much harder work than i expected but to do all this training separately would have cost a fortune so i think its been worth it.
No maths involved as far as i remember but lots of English both written and verbal skills required. We had a block of IT training too. And there is a LOT of human biology too obviously. My old brain has just about coped!
Think most hotels, spas and salons will want at least level 3. Good luck whatever you decide x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I completed three years at college and although a hell of alot of it was theory work, it is so rewarding and you may at the time think you will never need to know this but every now and then you will get a client that will ask hows things benefit them and there specific needs, and I also dont believe it to be possible for a complete novice to do day courses and to learn all about contra-indications, different techniques and A and P. I dont have any problems with the day courses Im planning on going on one myself, however I think they should be used as refreshers or for people who have a good knowlege on contra-indications, health and safety ect, If I was you I would defo go to college, Im not sure about your area but up here they help alot with funding and childcare, and dont worry bout students acting up, they wont last!!! You have to take it seriously to fully understand the theory well atleast I did!!!
Doing courses individually will cost!! Good luck on what ever you decide to do x

Latest posts

Back