When do you start to be taken seriously!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammiC

Reaction score
Sorry for the rant but I'm getting pretty sick of the old " oh so you've only been waxing for X amount of time" line and the "I've had bad waxing experiences before"

Yes I'm fairly new to what I do but I'm trained and qualified and I believe I do a great job, albeit I'm still fine tuning my timings and tweaking the way I do things to become more efficient but I've never hurt or damaged anyone todate (fingers crossed) and i have in truth received nothing but great feedback from all my clients. Everyone has to start somewhere right! All I do to counteract it is advise them of my quals and that I'm serious and dedicated to what I do and try not to slap them in the face lol... Breaaaathe!

When do you loose the oh so your new at this stigma?

Oh how long have you been doing it then? Do you work in a salon or are you mobile?

Best thing is, is don't tell them how long you've been doing it? Chances are, they don't know what else to say to you so decide to slag off their old waxing therapist, so I would take it as a compliment that they trust you to wax them and are plreasantly surprised at how well you done it. Or do I have the wrong end of the stick? xx

I never tell people that I am new! If anyone asks I tell them that I have been doing beauty for a while, never the amount of time. Thus stops them asking any questions :) I've only started working properly in December, up until then I was studying, so only joined the industry last year, but haven't had anyone comment on me negatively - fingers crossed :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

I never tell people that I am new! If anyone asks I tell them that I have been doing beauty for a while, never the amount of time. Thus stops them asking any questions :) I've only started working properly in December, up until then I was studying, so only joined the industry last year, but haven't had anyone comment on me negatively - fingers crossed :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

I'd never say I was new to something either... if you do it kind of gives them a platform to moan & try conning a refund!

When asked how long I've been doing it.. I just politely answer 'oh quite a while now' x

I've been doing it for 7 months from a home salon. It's not being questioned when I'm with the client at the time of treatment or anything like that. It happens when I get phone or email enquiries and it's oh I've had a bad experience before or my friend told me your new to this etc then they ask can you tell me how long you've been waxing for, how many of X have you done etc then say theyll think about it as they've had bad experiences before etc :(

I never bring it up but if I'm asked specifically I tell them, I'm not ashamed plus I'm not good at lying and don't want to either especially if they say they've been informed I'm new etc

Last edited:
I've been doing it for 7 months from a home salon. It's not being questioned when I'm with the client at the time of treatment or anything like that. It happens when I get phone or email enquiries and it's oh I've had a bad experience before or my friend told me your new to this etc then they ask can you tell me how long you've been waxing for, how many of X have you done etc then say theyll think about it as they've had bad experiences before etc :(

I never bring it up but if I'm asked specifically I tell them, I'm not ashamed plus I'm not good at lying and don't want to either especially if they say they've been informed I'm new etc

I agree with this. I've been tanning since December and (if asked) I say "not long, since December. But this was a great time to start as I had loads of customers booking in for their Christmas parties and NYE parties so I managed to get quite a lot of experience quit early on". It's a little White lie - I was quite busy but mainly spraying family & friends rather than full paying customers! But was still getting loads of practise.

It's not about how long you've been doing it anyway. Yes some people will have years of experience etc but some people could have been trained in waxing 3 years ago, but hardly done any since, whereas you may have fairly recently qualified but done lots!

The best thing you can do IMO is be honest, tell them how long you've been doing it (if they really want to know) and then just do your best and leave them with a lovely treatment! Xx

I think if you guys are in a position where your asked if a clients had a bad experience. Its your personality and your professional attitude to reassure them.

I always have a cheeky line of "you'll be fine with me then!" "dont panic!" "your ok!" etc.

Im young(ish) but i always get asked because i run my own salon, but i have a wealth of experience , growing up around a salon + talentled mum...makes it easier for me to have the confidence to reassure my clients. xoxo

I think it takes a while. Ive been a therapist for five years now and people ask me a lot. I always smile and say, "five years."
However, there is always a know it all client that says, "oh my friend has been doing it for 10 years." then I want to say, well why aren't you at your friends place then? Lol.

Some clients like to intimidate or quiz you for some reason. Don't let them. Just say you trained in 2011 or whatever year and that you qualified with outstanding qualities and are very passionate about your job. That shows more promise than however many years of experience.

I think they don't know what else to say to you so decide to slag off their old waxing therapist, so I would take it as a compliment that they trust you to wax them and are plreasantly surprised at how well you done it.
g.gif

Thanks everyone! Youre right! You've helped pick me up as it was starting to eat at me. Glad to also know I'm not the only one it happens too! I love what i do and my salon.

Latest posts

Back