Exfoliation; why do clients skimp on this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandelionpoppy

Reaction score
I find it SO difficult to persuade clients to make this part of their home routine.

I explain why it is necessary, why it is good for their skin and how it will actually SAVE them money by making their moisturisers more efficient.

They can see, feel and love the results after a thorough exfoliation by me. They agree that it makes sense.

Then the next time they come in I can see and feel the build-up......and I start my mantra again....

Any ideas?

Try giving them a sample to take home, enough for one weeks worth of exfoliating (this depends on their skin type of course).

I use little plastic jars that i buy at a dollar store but i'm guessing you might be able to find them on Ebay or Tesco. I give them the amount them need with a sticker stuck on the top that tells them the amount they should use and how many times a week ex. pea size 3x per week.

By doing this your getting them to actually SEE the difference in the product consumption and they can feel/see how great their skin is. they will come running back to buy a full size!

Thanks, Jen.
I've given sample sachets......asked how they got on, at their next appointment, and most "haven't tried them yet"

Oh, well, it makes my facials look twice as effective!

It's because we are lazy!

In my own situation, I always seem to be rushing for everything. I know it takes a small amount of time to exfoliate, but it's not on my mind at 05.30.

If you find a way that works for your clients, can you let me know?!

Sorry to butt in on a skin thread, but would love to be more proactive in maintaining the lovely effects of my facial, so will follow this one. :biggrin:

Palmolive do an exfoliating shower gel which is fab! Sooooo lovely, I use it all the time and so do all my friends now after my recommendation! Not sure if it's recommended for faces, however, I use it on mine :-/ I will see if it says anything on the bottle later

It's because we are lazy!

In my own situation, I always seem to be rushing for everything. I know it takes a small amount of time to exfoliate, but it's not on my mind at 05.30.

If you find a way that works for your clients, can you let me know?!

Sorry to butt in on a skin thread, but would love to be more proactive in maintaining the lovely effects of my facial, so will follow this one. :biggrin:

Hurray! I've got a captive audience :)

Nicole, exfoliation can SAVE you time. How long does it take for your moisturiser to sink in before you can apply foundation? You will cut this time down if your skin is ready and receptive.

Exfoliation need not be a lengthy, separate step.You could, for example, use a muslin cloth to remove your cleanser. This will provide a gentle, everyday mechanical exfoliator.

Would be happy to give you some more ideas!

Do you retail the exfoliator or just have samples to give?

I retail ours and recommend it as the at home, in between facials, home care must have product! Some clients go for it some don't but I guess when the regular facials are in the £50-£80 range, perhaps they don't want to spend another £25 on a take home product?

I guess you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it use exfoliator:lol::lol:

Last edited:
We're leading into retailing, so the samples are softly paving the way.

I hate the thought, though, that products may be bought, and then just left in the bathroom cupboard...I'm a bit evangelical about skin-care!

You might find it easier when you have the item to retail, I give a couple samples the first time and gently explain we have it for retail.

The next time I ask how they got on at home with it and subtly have it on display so they can see it without me having to go for the hard sell as such but when I am finished I always recommend a home care routine so it is really their choice. I find the older women are more up for purchasing it that the younger ones.

Would be happy to give you some more ideas![/QUOTE]

I would love to know what I should be doing for a good skincare regime. Mine has always consisted of just face wash and moisturiser! I've never really taken the time to look after myself as when I was younger I just didn't feel I needed it, then two children later not having the time. Now I'm in my 30's I know I should make more of an effort but don't really know where to start :confused:

You might find it easier when you have the item to retail, I give a couple samples the first time and gently explain we have it for retail.

The next time I ask how they got on at home with it and subtly have it on display so they can see it without me having to go for the hard sell as such but when I am finished I always recommend a home care routine so it is really their choice. I find the older women are more up for purchasing it that the younger ones.

Thanks, J! Good advice......but do they use it?

I would love to know what I should be doing for a good skincare regime. Mine has always consisted of just face wash and moisturiser! I've never really taken the time to look after myself as when I was younger I just didn't feel I needed it, then two children later not having the time. Now I'm in my 30's I know I should make more of an effort but don't really know where to start :confused:[/QUOTE]

I really recommend you do a little research on local therapists, salons and mobile, by asking friends, looking at reviews, visiting salons and then book your choice for a consultation, or skin analysis.

To have an expert examine your skin, talk through your priorities and look at your time/budget can be invaluable, and actually save money in the end.

I would love to help you generally, though.

You are already in a routine; well done.

A good plan would be to have a look at your skin after your face wash. Leave it for a few minutes. Does it feel tight or slighly itchy? If so, it may be a little harsh, or alkaline. Your skin may be working hard to re-establish its natural acidity. If so, re-think your cleanser.

A toner should help correct your PH value, ie acidity.

Add in an exfoliator, usually 2x weekly......my previous posts will tell you why.

Is your moisturiser meeting your needs? Remember that these needs may change with external/internal conditions.

You may also want to consider adding masks, eye products etc ......but most of all wear an SPF at all (day-time) times, avoid sun/sunbed tanning, wear sunglasses and try to give up smoking, if you do.

HTH, and message me if I can help further x

I would love to know what I should be doing for a good skincare regime. Mine has always consisted of just face wash and moisturiser! I've never really taken the time to look after myself as when I was younger I just didn't feel I needed it, then two children later not having the time. Now I'm in my 30's I know I should make more of an effort but don't really know where to start :confused:

I really recommend you do a little research on local therapists, salons and mobile, by asking friends, looking at reviews, visiting salons and then book your choice for a consultation, or skin analysis.

To have an expert examine your skin, talk through your priorities and look at your time/budget can be invaluable, and actually save money in the end.

I would love to help you generally, though.

You are already in a routine; well done.

A good plan would be to have a look at your skin after your face wash. Leave it for a few minutes. Does it feel tight or slighly itchy? If so, it may be a little harsh, or alkaline. Your skin may be working hard to re-establish its natural acidity. If so, re-think your cleanser.

A toner should help correct your PH value, ie acidity.

Add in an exfoliator, usually 2x weekly......my previous posts will tell you why.

Is your moisturiser meeting your needs? Remember that these needs may change with external/internal conditions.

You may also want to consider adding masks, eye products etc ......but most of all wear an SPF at all (day-time) times, avoid sun/sunbed tanning, wear sunglasses and try to give up smoking, if you do.

HTH, and message me if I can help further x[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much I will look into seeing someone locally x

Hurray! I've got a captive audience :)

Nicole, exfoliation can SAVE you time. How long does it take for your moisturiser to sink in before you can apply foundation? You will cut this time down if your skin is ready and receptive.

Exfoliation need not be a lengthy, separate step.You could, for example, use a muslin cloth to remove your cleanser. This will provide a gentle, everyday mechanical exfoliator.

Thank you Dande :)
I use a muslin cloth with my cleanser! I admit to using it too many times before using a different one though, so I can feel it's not working as well :o i also use the daily microfoliant, but not daily! i don't wear foundation, I don't like the thought of something being on my skin all day and I never remove make up, just flop into bed!

Thank you Dande :)
I use a muslin cloth with my cleanser! I admit to using it too many times before using a different one though, so I can feel it's not working as well :o i also use the daily microfoliant, but not daily! i don't wear foundation, I don't like the thought of something being on my skin all day and I never remove make up, just flop into bed!

Okey-dokes...you're on the right lines! You need more than 1 cloth so that you can wash them in between. They will soften, but that's OK, they're still working.

Sounds like you've got Demalogica (daily micro-foliant)? Great product;if used daily with your cloths you're doing well!

I DO understand the thought of foundation on the skin; I share it, and my break-through came when I switched to Bare Minerals. It has an SPF of 15 and is actually good for your skin.

Right. Get ready for the smack on the wrist :)

Please develop a night-time routine. Even if you don't use foundation your skin is exposed to pollutants and dirt throughout the day. Plus, night-time is when your skin works best......so my best advice is cleanse well and moisturise. This is probably your main skin sin, so try to prioritise this.

I hope I've been of some help. Good luck!

Smack on the wrist accepted gracefully and appreciatively!

The thing that I annoy myself with is that I already know all of your advice is correct, yet I remain in a less than adequate routine.
I get these slow growing lumps that can turn into the biggest and ugliest spot eventually (only one at a time and only once per month, ?hormonal).

I have a px for a topical AB especially for these bad boys and it did work but using it once per day, not twice. But I've even stopped using this which is probably why they have decided to come back and on my forehead this time.

I had to stop my Dermalogica facials as I could not afford it so regularly, but I swear by using their products at home, I love them! I know I need to step it up though.

You are very helpful :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back