Let there be light-please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jowo

Reaction score
Since my training I have been doing lots of practice tans, I have set up my front room with tan tent (which has a clear top) and put up a window blind for privacy, I have a 3 bulb ceiling light (60w each) and a clip on lamp on the tent but am still having trouble seeing what I am doing, when my client goes into daylight I notice bits that have been missed, this is mostly on parts of the arms, I have tried a few different techniques but I feel that I am let down by lack of light. Today I invested in 2 60w daylight bulbs but they are even worse. Any ideas would be great as this is really getting to me now :sad:

I don't have a clip on light on my tent & I can see just fine... what solution are you using? I use nouvatan which has a nice colour guide which you can definitely see x

I am also using Nouvatan, it is only when I look at the tan afterwards in daylight I can see that I have missed any bits, it is usually on parts of the arm and a ask then if I can touch it up before they leave, which is not a problem, i feel it is a little unprofessional though. I want to give my clients a great tan and feel that this is letting me down. I live in an old cottage, which tends to have darker rooms than a modern house.

Maybe worth investing in daylight bulbs if ur not using them already. I use one for my clip on light. They cost about £10 each but the light is definately better. HTH

:( feel for you Jowo lights always a problem at mine too so will watch with interest! not so bad during the day but i have spray tan the o/h this evening and its hard when u have shadows due to poor lighting :(

Thank you for your sympathy:lol:. I bought a 60 w daylight bulb which cost £2.50 which was no better, but is was not a spiral one. Maybe that's where I am going wrong! It would be no problem if people didnt mind exposing themselves and I could have the blind open!

I take a clip on light to my clients houses incase they have dim light. Sometime tho it does more harm than good as it causes a shadow which makes it even harder to see the guide colour!

I ask clients to step out the tent and turn round slowly for me so I can check I have covered them all (I was also taught this by Nouvatan). People actually find this professional and would rather this than me miss a bit. It also shows that I care about the results. The lady I sprayed last night had to get back in the tent as I missed an area in her bum so I just asked her to step back in and resprayed that area.

It sounds like you will be doing your tans at home so if you got a daylight bulb in a tall standing lamp (not just a clip on light) you could ask them to step out and look at them properly with the lamp on? Then if any spots are missed they can step back in quickly?

I've found I've had this problem too. I also found the clip on light to sometimes be as much a hindrance as a help.

I do agree with severnrose, asking the client to step out of the tent and the end of the tan, into better lighting to check all over, is a good practice.

What would be good is if there was a way of getting strip lights veriticly on the inside of the tent in the front corners, but there would be a problem with the heat on the tent. :irked:

yes, i thought about an old fashioned flouresent light tube! I am using Nouvatan and also ask them to step out of the tent to check them over but still cannot tell until I get them into 'proper' daylight. I have ordered 2 halogen lamps on a stand which can be altered into position, to see how that goes, as it is driving me mad. Just thought, i cant be the only one, it makes it easier to know that there are others out there with the same problem :lol:

Hi,
I find legs tricky due to light issues and always get them to come out of tent and turn around.
Why don't they just makeacompletely see through tent that let's in all available light. We tan in a private space anyway so tent isn't doing anything by being opaque!
I'm waiting for a windfall so I can buy an extractor booth! X

If you are using a twisted daylight bulb there will be no shadows. It also needs to be a white light daylight bulb not a yellow light.

This site has a cool little demo thing to show what I mean about white light or yellow light.
Choosing Daylight Bulbs - How to Choose your Light bulb — (UK) Light bulbs, halogen lamps, spot lights and tubes by mail order in the UK

The white light gives you bright light like the sun.

I use 1 daylight bulb in my clip on lamp and I don't have any trouble seeing and I don't miss bits :biggrin:

That is a great help, thank you. Do they sell them anywhere on the high street, B&Q, Wilkinsons? I am doing a tan tomorrow night, so could do with getting one in the morning. It is definately the white light that is needed :lol:

I am unsure if the white daylight ones are on sale in any highstreet shops, I've always ordered mine online but I'm sure if you went in and asked someone to help you find one & then asked if they could check it in one of the display lamps (Wilko's & B&Q defo have different display lamps and stuff that they should be able to use to show you the bulbs colour when it's on).

I take a clip on light to my clients houses incase they have dim light. Sometime tho it does more harm than good as it causes a shadow which makes it even harder to see the guide colour!

I ask clients to step out the tent and turn round slowly for me so I can check I have covered them all (I was also taught this by Nouvatan). People actually find this professional and would rather this than me miss a bit. It also shows that I care about the results. The lady I sprayed last night had to get back in the tent as I missed an area in her bum so I just asked her to step back in and resprayed that area.

It sounds like you will be doing your tans at home so if you got a daylight bulb in a tall standing lamp (not just a clip on light) you could ask them to step out and look at them properly with the lamp on? Then if any spots are missed they can step back in quickly?

This is what I do, I find it so hard just relying on customer ligthing and I find I can end up with shadows if I use the clip on light. I completely agree that the client feels it's more professional and have been told so by my clients, they feel like they're getting a better service and know that I do actually care that they're happy with their tan. You're doing the right thing by touching up, better to touch up and know you've done the job properly than not and having a disappointed client xxx

On my tent the clear plastic roof comes off I then place the tent directly under my light or I place it so the lights hanging over the front of the tent so it shines in the front, if in doubt once you have sprayed them bring them out the tent into the light and have a quick look for White bits x

I have been doing some research and lots of places have 'warm white' bulbs but not 'daylight' I can find lots of places to buy them online but not much use if I want it for tomorrow!:sad:

I got one from local electricity wholesales it was a daylight bulb but not the twisted one. I am still looking for one of these. It will have to be on the Internet but the ones I have found have been the wrong attachment thingies.bayonet or screw cap. Not sure if they will make much difference tho. I dread how difficult it will be on winter as hopefully will get some clients then also. Iay have to stick with my ka tan double dipped guide colour as this one is the only successful one so far for spraying in the dark.:)

That was meant to say L A tan lol

Thanx for all the comments. I found a 20w daylight spiral bulb at Hobbycraft, but on the way popped into Homebase, where I bought the last 2 'Cool daylight' bulbs which were half the price of the Hobbycraft ones. Didnt realise that buying bulbs could be. So anyway, put 2 clipon lights on the tent and it worked a treat :) I am happy as I can now see what I am doing! :lol:

Lighting is SOOOO important isn't it!!! It's underrated!

I set up my tent in my kitchen facing two large sash windows. Luckily they're that obscured glass and I have no curtains on them so I get lots of natural light.

I haven't heard of that white daylight bulb - I may have to invest in one for when I do night time tans.

Latest posts

Back