A little bit of a rant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tammye1234

Reaction score
am i the only 1 getting slightly peeeeed off,ive spent 2 years at collage (which wasnt cheap plus with child care that i had to pay for ) plus £90 for a spray tanning course not including what ive spent out on equipment etc,then u get some people thats never been to collage/trained in nothing then the advertise on facebook thats there doing all these treatments and getting clients-and im hardly doing anything. i live in a smallish town with so many people offering cheap/quick untrained in treatments arrrrgh. sorry guys rant over just a little annoyed x

It is really frustrating that the industry isnt regulated enough. Youve got people going around doing treatment without training and therefore without insurance! If this were any other industry it would be cracked down on straight away. Unfortunately until this happens theres not a lot we can do.
I always try to worry more about what I'm doing rather than other people, and take pride in what you do.

Sorry I'm confused... is the rant about someone who hasn't been to college or people without training... because they are quite different things in my book... and I'd like to know if I should be offended or not... :)

this was a rant about people i know never been to collage or trained in anything just buy equipment from ebay etc and google stuff-sorry if you were affended but i dont know you so dont see why you should be xx

Well I've never been to college for one... and your first post seemed at first few reads to be against those of us not college trained :)

As for anyone operating without approved training - you and I know they won't keep those customers if they aren't going to do a good job - even if they do a good job then without approved training they won't get insurance... not circumstances I'd like to work under!

FB advertising is all about how many mates you have... on FB. And how into the threatments they are etc - I don't have many friends into beauty etc so struggle with FB advertsing - so going to do flyers and find other ways of getting my name out there :)

I understand your rant Hun but as the last post said if they have no training they won't be good enough to retain client's anyway! Also just think wait for the day they do something stupid and get sued with no insurance that'll teach them! I had a friend the other week go to someone for cluster lashes only designed to last a few days applied with semi permanent lash glue! That'll soon bite her in the bum!
🌸xx

The industry is flooded with therapists,home learn,college trained,long distance,day courses etc and no training whatsoever so it would seem.

We have to be comfortable in knowing that it's our treatments and professionalism that count. The ones who are no good will not be successful in the long term.

I know of therapists who are fully qualified and are rubbish, short cutting on time and treatment,over charging for bad results etc so all in all don't let this person/people worry you.

Concentrate on doing your best and gaining more and more experience as the years go by and the clients come through your doors. Then these people will long be forgotten because nobody will continue to go to a therapist,nail tech who hasn't had the correct training.

Treatments don't generally come cheap and when there's lots to choose from why would anyone spend their hard earned cash on a sub standard treatment? first time maybe but again!!! and that's what this business depends on,repeat business,our regulars. So don't fret, and be happy in the knowledge you're qualified and insured:biggrin:

My bourough now insists on all therapists being council registered. I had to prove qualifications, and ID. They do not accept one day courses or purely product based training.
They phased this in over 18 months to allow people time to get NVQ's or equivalent.

Coming to a town near you soon.....

They probably got sick of all the complaints about bad therapists.

Sorry to all the people who call themselves "professionals" after one day of training. I know you will be offended, but Bromley council have made the judgement call that one day is not enough. "passion" aint the same as knowledge.

Working without registration, the appropriate qualifications or insurance will now land you up to £10000 fine in Bromley.

We are all delighted. All in my salon are level 3 qualified, fully insured with the best insurance I could find, Fully checked, inspected and have all correct documentation.

The competition can worry about themselves. Our backs are covered.
The moment I get wind of any cheap therapists, I shan't hesitate to check with trading standards that they are registered. If they arent, they will be reported.
No shyster with a youtube habit is nicking my business.

Am also in discussion with trading standards about doing the same for hair ext. As I have a city and guilds in wigmaking, as well as several hair ext diplomas, I have nothing to worry about, but Bromley is declaring war on people doing one day courses, so I am lobbying for this to be extended to hair. I think they might go for it.

I want the sort of thing that persianista is refering to to become the case nationally.

I would also like to see more regulation about who can and can't open a salon...for example, I have seen so many people without beauty training running a salon because they feel like "having a go". No offense meant...I'm just talking from experience.

I want the sort of thing that persianista is refering to to become the case nationally.

I would also like to see more regulation about who can and can't open a salon...for example, I have seen so many people without beauty training running a salon because they feel like "having a go". No offense meant...I'm just talking from experience.

Or "business minded" people.
That always makes me laugh. What on earth do they do when their staff go sick?:eek:

My bourough now insists on all therapists being council registered.
That's good to hear, but does that apply to mobile therapists? I have an exemption because of my professional membership, but I know my local borough requires registration for therapists working out of premises (including home), but mobile therapists are not covered.

In some of London boroughs therapists also need to be council registered. Which I am of course very pleased of. However, it's not enough and I hope one day this industry will get regulated all over the UK.

I'm totally for it, don't get me wrong however, say for example you have a fully NVQ2 & 3 trained beautician, (which we do) and want to add to their skills. Example eyelash extensions, a new trend that hits the market and not originally covered in the NVQ, how will that be perceived by councils?

Will all training have to be NVQ, even add ons?
How will they manage the paperwork?
How long will they act in order to allow the service to be introduced into salons?

As for people having no training or insurance, just watch them fade away. Seen several on facebook in our area that seem to have disappeared. Whether they were trained or insured I'm not sure but the silly prices they were offering for some treatments can only read as they went under.

Interesting thread, especially as someone looking to do a beauty course!
The one day courses are fine for an add on treatment provided you have a full NVQ first, eg lashes or spray tanning is fine as long as you hold an nvq2.

What you can't do is a lash ext course on its own and work as a lash extensionist in Bromley. It's a 10000 fine.

My bourough now insists on all therapists being council registered. I had to prove qualifications, and ID. They do not accept one day courses or purely product based training.
They phased this in over 18 months to allow people time to get NVQ's or equivalent.

Coming to a town near you soon.....

They probably got sick of all the complaints about bad therapists.

Sorry to all the people who call themselves "professionals" after one day of training. I know you will be offended, but Bromley council have made the judgement call that one day is not enough. "passion" aint the same as knowledge.

Hi Persianista,

I am looking on the Bromley Council website just to get some more info on this out of curiosity but cant find it, could you advise me whereabouts it is on the site please? I would be very interested to see if they bring this to my borough too...
x

I do like the idea, and agree there should be some sort of regulation within the industry, but I worry if they are so hard about 1 day courses that people like me won't get the chance to get started. I am now at college just finishing my level 3 and starting my Foundation degree in sept, but if I hadn't had the chance to start working mobile after a few 1 day courses that wouldn't have been an option. I lost my job and needed to work, nowhere else employing me so with help re trained and went mobile. I am not a charlatan, or just in it because I like the idea, this is my career now and My future and I am and will continue to be successful, however the fact that I had to start the way I did due to having to earn, would go against me and isn't fair. You should have to prove that even if you start on one day courses that you continue to learn and that you are going to be an asset to the industry.... Just saying... :)

Look under environmental health, then licensing

Persianista

The expression on your profile pic must truly reflect how you feel at the mo :lol:

On the back of what you said, I for one have just applied to do an NVQ 2 at my local college at the grand old age of 53 :eek:

The only thing stopping me from doing this before is the embarrassment of being the oldest bird in the class :o Hey ho, this is the price I pay for a mid-life crisis career change!

I'm usually one for a cause and not afraid to speak up about it but I am guiltily quiet when it comes to the regulation of the hair & beauty industry, due to the fact that the solution probably does lay in a substantial underpinning of knowledge accompanied by a nationally recognised qualification. At least I'll be able to stop feeling like a hypocrite now and stop justifying to myself that short courses and self education is enough.

Wish me luck in September and hopefully I won't get bullied as the odd one out :eek:

Kathie x

I'm really pleased to hear about these changes being made. I live in a small village with lots of 'self taught therapists' so I've just taken great pleasure in posting this information on Facebook for them all to see :)
Hope it reaches Northern Ireland soon xx

Hi

I agree there needs to be a set standard - but I think you can have people who have done short courses who are terrible and people who have done short courses and are amazing, people who have done a NVQ and are bad and people who have done NVQ who are good as well, the problem is education in general needs to be more flexible - not just for beauty industry but as a whole. I wonder if a trade standards test would be best so regardless of if youve done a NVQ or a short course you can apply then if you dont meet the standards you dont meet the standards - realistically I dont know how this would work

Im doing a mixture of short courses and NVQs and I can see both sides.

Latest posts

Back