How would you feel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c bare sticks

Reaction score
I had a client who used to visit me at a salon for a good couple of years then I left that salon and started renting a room elsewhere which this lady also visited me at. One day she cancelled on me which was very unusual for her and I since found out she has been visiting the new beauty therapist at the salon I used to rent the room at originally for the same treatment. She is slightly more expensive too?! Since then the therapist has walked out suddenly and the lady has this morning got back in touch with me asking to book in?! I maintained a professional attitude and booked her in of course but feel a bit used?? How would you approach this?

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

i know its hard as we get attached to clients and form friendships but from my experience its not always the therapist that the client is coming for but the salon. Don't take it personally, your client is torn between you and the salon and the salon probably enticed her in with a special offer she couldn't refuse as they knew she may follow you.

She has come back to you, business is business we are not here to make friends x

Just take it on the chin!

Youre taking it far too personally.

Think of it this way - you go to say Tescos regularly, then stop and start going to Sainsburys instead. After ages the Sainsburys moves to a new store futher away, so you go back to Tescos.
In effect its the same thing.

It doesnt mean youre a bad therapist.

Very true, that's what I thought when I found out as why would you pay more. Just dint know if I was being a mug. She probably did also like the salon. It's a good job I'm a good actress. I shall act completely normal with her when I see her as that's what good business people do. Had a horrible experience with a business man recently when I got him out for a quote and then told him i had found a better one and he had a go at me. How do people survive in business like that?!

I find people will always do that. Don't worry though it's probably nothing against you. This other therapist might have had an offer on or something like that. My mum did it before I started my own salon. She tried a few different ones just for variety but alway went back to her original one.
My ex father in law taught me only 1 thing about business "do they have money to spend, and do I want it?". Glad you didn't turn her away xx

I find people will always do that. Don't worry though it's probably nothing against you. This other therapist might have had an offer on or something like that. My mum did it before I started my own salon. She tried a few different ones just for variety but alway went back to her original one.
My ex father in law taught me only 1 thing about business "do they have money to spend, and do I want it?". Glad you didn't turn her away xx

Yes very true. Wise words and this lady definitely has bags of money lol

Good points already made. I just wanted to add that it is not always about money. Some perceive it to be a better service if they spend more ;). She could have moved on after this therapist left but she has come back to you, I think that shows she does appreciate your services. I also agree with it being the salon that some clients feel more comfortable with.

I too wouldn't take it personally.
Maybe the client was curious & wanted to see what the new therapist was like
Maybe that salon is nearer to where she works/lives
Maybe the new therapist was offering different treatments to what you do
Maybe the client just fancied a change

There could be all sorts of reasons & you'll drive yourself bonkers reading too much into it all.

At the end of the day, the client has re-booked with you, so you get on with it & make sure she re-books :)

Try not to take it personally, I think it's a good sign though that she's coming back to you! The other therapist might be moving somewhere else but she's not followed them.

Thanks guys. Yes the other place was slightly nearer to her so it probably was also a case of distance too. Hopefully she will like where I am now as its brand spanking new and beautiful and will hopefully keep her coming back!

I don't quite understand why you say you feel you are being used?

If you were treating her for a reduced price I would better understand that view.

But I am assuming she pays you for your services and you are operating a business.

There have been lots of good reasons offered as to why she may have gone back to the original salon.

And none of them may have anything at all to do with you but more convenience for her.

Clients can be very fickle.

You are clearly a good therapist which is why she has chosen to return to you .. And because she pays you for her treatments you were absolutely right to maintain a professional approach.

We don't own our clients!

Be happy she has come back my lovely.

Jacqui xx

Had a couple more thoughts...

It could be of course that if the original salon is now without a therapist, the client wouldn't have any option but to go elsewhere.

I don't think it should make any difference though if the client 'has bags of money' & is irrelevent really in the scheme of things.

With regards to feeling used, it just kind of made me wonder whether when the other salon has replaced their therapist since the sudden recent events of her departure, Whether she will cancel on me again and continue to go back there. i guess I'm just not used to it as my clients have always been rather loyal to me but like others mentioned its like changing your supermarket, sometimes its just convenience so to the people who have pointed this out and shown some kind words of reassurance. I see where you are coming from and thankyou.

Latest posts

Back