Any advice on milia?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chezzababy

Reaction score
I have about 2 spots under my eye. After looking on the Internet, see that you can remove them yourself.

Any other advice into how avoid them coming back?

Thank you

XxX

When you say on your eye, is it very close to the eye? As long as its not to close to the eye(ie not with in the orbit of your eye) you can lance them, or even better get another therapist to do it, then just stretch and roll and the blockage should come out easily, make sure you wipe with tea tree oil afterwards though. They are probably caused by you using to rich a cream around your eye.
xxxx

When you say on your eye, is it very close to the eye? As long as its not to close to the eye(ie not with in the orbit of your eye) you can lance them, or even better get another therapist to do it, then just stretch and roll and the blockage should come out easily, make sure you wipe with tea tree oil afterwards though. They are probably caused by you using to rich a cream around your eye.
xxxx

They are below my eye, on my cheek, thank you!

Xxx

I 've also had milia under my eye a few times. Normally it's a result of a dry skin. It's quite difficult to get rid of it, I really wouldn't squeeze it as it can damage the skin. Make sure you exfoliate your skin well.
My ones always disappeared on their own.

I was taught they were caused by using too much heavy cream, I always thought the more anti wrinkle cream I use the better but apparently not.

If they really are milia no amount of squeezing will get them out as they are blind-ended and thus have no opening. There are three methods:

Advanced Electrolysis - a probe is inserted into the milia to dessicate it, works quickly & easily with little discomfort. In my personal opinion the only advisable method.

Localised exfoliation to remove the surface - not really ideal as it will thin the surrounding skin, risk damaging the skin, thread veins etc.

Piercing the top with a needle or lance - I can't really believe anyone seriously offers this anymore, especially for those near the eyes.

I use a lance or electroylisis, works fine. Often cause by using heavy creams near the eye, important thing is you get rid of it during a facial.

Whenever I've had milia I've always lanced them myself - it's never hurt nor has it caused any damage to my skin.

Whenever I've had milia I've always lanced them myself - it's never hurt nor has it caused any damage to my skin.

You might however want to check your insurance before using lances on clients though. Even Habia don't advise the use of lances around the eye area, which after all is one of the most common places to find them. Electrolysis on the other hand can safely be used round the delicate eye area.

Habia guidelines:
It is common practice for a trained beauty therapist with Level 3 Beauty Therapy qualification (or equivalent) to remove milia with a disposable/sterile micro lance (also used for the removal of ingrown hairs). It is standard procedure in a facial to remove a small number of milia, if evident. However, if there are lots of milia around the delicate eye area, it is advisable to refer the client to the doctor, so that they can be surgically removed under anaesthetic.

You might however want to check your insurance before using lances on clients though. Even Habia don't advise the use of lances around the eye area, which after all is one of the most common places to find them. Electrolysis on the other hand can safely be used round the delicate eye area.

Habia guidelines:
It is common practice for a trained beauty therapist with Level 3 Beauty Therapy qualification (or equivalent) to remove milia with a disposable/sterile micro lance (also used for the removal of ingrown hairs). It is standard procedure in a facial to remove a small number of milia, if evident. However, if there are lots of milia around the delicate eye area, it is advisable to refer the client to the doctor, so that they can be surgically removed under anaesthetic.

Only on myself as I don't offer facials to clients. :)

Go to someone for electrolysis. I have had so many clients come to me after they have tried to remove them themselves and are left with thread veins instead.

Electrolysis is the best way to remove them safely

Latest posts

Back