How much massage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
I have seen threads on this before but I wanted to ask this question in terms of a specific ammount of hours.

In an 8 hour working day I probably spend at least half of that time doing massages. That is to say that there are days where I can be schedualed to do (for example) 5 20 minute back massages and 3 45 minute full body massages.

The tutors at my college tell me that I should be doing no more than 3 hours of massage a day both in terms of my own health and safety and in terms of insurance (insurance relating to my employer I presume?)

I feel ok doing lots of massage. Like I don't feel terrible from it even though I wouldn't mind doing less if that makes sense?

I'm guessing that doing lots of massage in a day is the sort of thing that feels fine at first but might catch up with you later?

I like doing massage so don't get me wrong. I've always understood that it's a good way to get your foot in the door in terms of the spa/beauty industry before you progress onto other treatments.

What are your thoughts?

ETA: also, does the 3 hour limit include massage treatments where you are sat down, for example head and foot massages?

I didn't realise there was a limit. I worked in a Hotel doing treatment, I could send the whole 8 hours a day doing mainly massage with a the odd facial. It's a long day.

Are you still at college or working in the industry I couldn't figure it out.

You can do more than 3 hours of massage in a day, when you go out into the world and work for someone else you will be expected to do more believe me.

It is all about body mechanics and pacing of appointments. There is a lot you can do to self care to prevent injury.

Although you say you can do lots of massage, day in day out this wears you down and you start to pick up injuries, from little niggles through to bad back.

I currently have issue with my thumbs and I am an experienced Massage Therapist who owns my own place so I can control what I do, working for someone else it isn't so easy.

I personally have never heard of a three hour limit, and doubt it exsists and boy if it does there are thousands breaking it that is for sure.

I was talking to my old college when I popped in to say hi. I finished there nearly a year ago and am working in industry as an employee.

I do lots of massage and feel fine. Like I feel slightly achy or sleepy at times but it's nothing that I feel I can't cope with. I guess what I'm asking is, "does the ammount of massage you can do in your career have a shelf life?" "Will I reach a point where I suffer the symptoms that people who have been doing it longer describe?"

Unfortunately yes if you keep going at this rate you will feel the effects.

It is said here in the US that the average career span of a LMT is about 4 years.
Each year hundreds leave the profession and yes there are a few die hards that have been doing it for years and will all tell you about their aches and pains.

I have always limited myself to 4 full body massages a day but most days it can be broken up with facials and where I can I leave 30- 45 minutes in between, some days if it is a group booking perhaps I will do one more or a couple BNS.

Last edited:
I hope this is not true as I am planning to make a living for myself and daughter from massage after college?!

I think maybe 3hrs massage before a break might be what is meant...

Lindsey x

Lindsay - sadly the chances are that unless you are extremely lucky you will not be able to massage all day every day without feeling the effects... my ITEC instructor is an occupational therapist now working for the NHS and as she put it "90% of my patients are massage therapists - so my job is to teach you how to massage but most importantly how NOT to end up seeing me again in 2-3 years time!" - The main injury is damage to thumbs... and this can be permanent! second is back problems from not having a good posture and technique. Needless to say I have no intention of doing more than 1 or 2 a day as she works at my local hospital and frankly I won't expect any sympathy if I have to go and see her as a result of my massaging :)

Is your course an ITEC or similar level?

There are occasions when you can sit down and I fully utilise these, some die hards will tell you you shouldn't sit or they never sit but things change and massage therapists are more aware of their limitations. And of course there is a difference between beauty massage and massage therapy.

There are also certain moves/strokes that you can use which also massages your hands, forearms etc. whilst you are massaging.....does that make sense as I know what I mean...lol!!!

You can also use tools but this is something I am generally against really as you can't pick up and feel the muscles as such.

Last edited:
We are having it drummed into our heads constantly about body mechanics and posture. I do intend on looking after No1 first and find that doing massage actually helps my posture because it makes me much more aware of my mechanics.

Thai foot is great because an implement is used for half the routine, Onsite Acupressure is a lot of elbow and forearm work :)

Thumbs definitely need to be looked after and if you can't get enough pressure with it use some other part! Lol never strain yourself there's no point, if you break your no good so as Jaqueline mentioned know your limitations!

It's quite funny that when doing massage using good body mechanics, breathing and yoga-like stances I find myself moving into a great state of mindfullness :)

I also do a lot of large clients and that is a challenge at times and quite hard on the body but I personally use an extra wide masssage table which is hydraulic and has 6 inch foam and I can take it low to get a good deep pressure massage without knocking off my body mechanics.

Ah yes hydraulic couches are amazing! The height of the couch is so important, I'm 5'3'' and when I get stuck with a high one my joints end up in all kinds of crazy angles lol.

Absolutely loving Onsite but still trying to find the right position for my wrists :S

Hi there, I'm at college at the moment, BTEC 1st year, our massage tutor is also a working massage therapist, our full body massage is 1 hour long and she constantly impresses on us about good posture because we could find ourselves doing 6 full body massages in an 8 hour day.
She has never told us that there is a 3 hour limit, only stressed to us that we must never let a client feel short changed by shortening the time, so if a client can't have or doesn't want part of their body massaged more time must be spent on the rest of the body, adapting the movements to suit the client and their needs.
However employment law is for everyone regardless of the industry they work in.
My daughter is the expert there and she's not here for me to ask, but I think it's 45minute break for every 4 and a half hours worked. But don't quote me on that ;)

I am a massage therapist (only do massage) and on average I do two to three full days (5-6 hours a day) of a mix of acupressure onsite/sports/remedial massage, and one to two days of private clients (4 hours per day). I usually work 4 days a week and may have the odd client on the fifth day. I've been working like this for the past 18 years, so it is possible to have a good career, however, the most important thing is to get good massage training. If you want to have a career in massage, I would recommend massage training rather than beauty massage training. Body mechanics, techniques and indepth knowledge are hugely important to providing a good treatment with minimal stress on yourself. Good training is not cheap, but a real investment that will provide a long career.

I am a massage therapist (only do massage) and on average I do two to three full days (5-6 hours a day) of a mix of acupressure onsite/sports/remedial massage, and one to two days of private clients (4 hours per day). I usually work 4 days a week and may have the odd client on the fifth day. I've been working like this for the past 18 years, so it is possible to have a good career, however, the most important thing is to get good massage training. If you want to have a career in massage, I would recommend massage training rather than beauty massage training. Body mechanics, techniques and indepth knowledge are hugely important to providing a good treatment with minimal stress on yourself. Good training is not cheap, but a real investment that will provide a long career.

Agreed! - And for this more possibly than any I'd recommend going on recommendation... find someone who you KNOW will teach you good posture... it's so important! The first few weeks I REALLY felt my back when training, now I know instantly if I'm not rocking properly or have forgotten even briefly about my posture...

Couldnt agree more!! I spend most of my working hours doing massage and plan to for a long time! And touch wood I'm yet to.have an injury!! (Funnily enough I spent a yr training as a hairdresser, constantly blow drying, and ended up getting carpel tunnel! )

I would try and find someone you can buddy with and swap massages as well. You need to look after yourself and those shoulders and forearms.

I have to have regular chiropractic and acupuncture sessions now, my back is twisted a bit, probably from using the same side of the couch. When you first train you think you are invincible to injuries, but urgh you aren't :hug:

(or maybe I'm just a bit delicate...)

We where told 4 hrs max a day, if you want to reduce burnout and massage for a long time. I refuse to do more at the salon I work at. I'm not burning out for a small wage. in my own clinic I do 8 hr days however I do half to full treatments in spinal reflex therapy. Which is not taxing as it's attachment point therapy using elbows mainly. I fing it's also good to learn to use your forearm and knuckles as the save your thumbs.

I looked into the 3hr limit a few years ago and rang acas and several departments of my local council and was told no such limit existed. I have been performing between 8-10 bns or upto 5 fbm per day 6 days a week for over 4 years and I dont get a break in a 11 hour day but to be honest i've never found a spa that offers any better conditions, even working for a few large chains. I'm nearly 5 months pregnant at the moment too and will be struggling to fit between the bed and the wall soon haha :o

Jcpark- struggling to quote here but would like to ask you a question regarding your comment about finding great training...

Would you recommend training with the Jing Institute? I have been looking into advanced training and although Jing is a few hundred miles away I'm thinking about saving up and planning a holiday to Brighton with a cunning plan ;)

I have been very lucky with my main lecturer have 20+ years in the industry working in spas, running salon and having good experience with sports/remedial massage. She is a very good teacher of body mechanics and postural assessment so I know I am being kept right with my own posture. I treat every massage like a yoga/ThaiChi lesson for me lol

Think I will ask her to give me a 1 to 1 for Onsite so I'm not starting that off with bad habits!

If you are seeking for a 3hr limit to massage then you must really not want to do more than 3hrs so you might be better taking the matter up with your employer, I suppose of you are doing beauty treatments then you might get away with this but there are definitely people who do make a good healthy career from massage :)

Latest posts

Back