Semi permanent makeup business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twinigins

Reaction score
Hey everyone

I am a complete newbie and would love any help and information that you all have to help me.

I am going to be doing a course in semi permanent make up to then go on and start my own business but I have no idea what I need to do or what steps to take... Do I need to work from a salon or can it be in homes and mobile?
Funding anyone have gotten before?
Licenses needed and where to get them etc etc

Basically everything :(

Hope someone can help me

Kayleigh
XxxxxxxX

Are you doing just semi permanent makeup? You need to ring the council if your doing semi permanent makeup and they can advise you more. Also insurance, are you mobile or salon based, insurance may not cover both do best to ring round and see. Also if you asked the person who is training you then may be able to help

Make sure you go on a good accredited course! From what I gather semi permanent make up is 1 step away from tattooing so I suspect the same rules would apply... So you need you premises to be checked and approved in order to get insurance... check your local council website for details specific to your area.

Funding... personally not heard of any - could just be me though :)

No idea if you can get insurance to do this mobile - check with some of the providers before you make your mind up about how you are going to do this...

You need to be council licences you will be taken to court if not.
If your doing it from home you need to have a wash basin in the room, wipeable floors, blinds, emergency lightening exit signs, yes in your home! Needless to say you have to own your house, your all need fitted paper towel holders, the list goes on! Also the council ensure you have sharps collection, you do a first aid course. If you do it properly it costs money.

Hi Kayleigh
I've been doing SPMU since last Sept and I can honestly say its been a roller-coaster of a job you have many ups and downs and with it comes big responsibility of your clients. Its not an easy job and you have to put a a lot of hard work, commitment, time and practise or you won't be any good if you don't. I've heard of many girls who have paid all this money and given up trying because they can't get the work or they just aren't pushing themselves everyday to practise. Theres a lot of competition in this game some good work some terrible everyone charges different prices, do your research before parting with your cash on a course.

You have to think about the cost of your materials, as soon as I make money it goes out again on buying more pigments and needles and its super expensive. I trained with Nouveau Contour and I think they have a very good reputation .. Jody Knight trained me, she is a wonderful trainer! I have spent over £8000 so far but for N/C are the best in my eyes.

There are different levels you pay for, if you do a bronze course you are wasting your money you really need to do a Silver level or gold if you can afford it. With these levels you get 6 or more workshops and many more training days this is where you learn your stuff.

I'm going to be totally honest with you not many girls make a good living out of it, they may need another job to keep the Penny's coming in.... There are the lucky few who make it and can earn thousands of pounds a week if you are at the top of your game! I have found most SPMU Artist have to travel to different salons to build up their client base to make big money. I just keep pushing myself all the time the 1st and 2nd year are the hardest I've been told. But if you are that determined you can do anything you want you have to 100% committed or you won't make the big bucks.

I found most of my business on Facebook but you do need to get yourself in the car and knock on a lot of salon owners doors to find more business. Build a great website and a lot of before and after pictures to prove how good your work is so client trust you.

If you need any help I can give you my mobile number? L xx

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love your number to ask a few questions if you wouldnt mind x

Hey everyone

I am a complete newbie and would love any help and information that you all have to help me.

I am going to be doing a course in semi permanent make up to then go on and start my own business but I have no idea what I need to do or what steps to take... Do I need to work from a salon or can it be in homes and mobile?
Funding anyone have gotten before?
Licenses needed and where to get them etc etc

Basically everything :(

Hope someone can help me

Kayleigh
XxxxxxxX

I know someone who has a beautiful, high class salon, has spent a FORTUNE on her training, and many many hours of practice.......but has very few request's for this service....
There are, as with all other beauty related treatments, alway's someone who will do it for less!
Satisfying health and safety is quite a task....not sure how that would be possible as a mobile!!!
How could you sanitise someones home?

Hi . All your questions would be answered by the school of your choice ( hopefully ) nouveau contour have got a good reputation . But you will only ever be as good as the tutor that trains you. It's not about the schools reputation it's about the tutors . And you have to makes sure your are getting the most current up to date training available . Most colleges will have training material and use this all year round things change new techniques become available but you'll never get to know this because the tutors qualify and very few will seek new procedures they will teach today the same as ten years ago.

There's only academy in Bradford called ashwood academy . The tutor who trains is a guy and he has owned and run successful business for 20 years . He never stops learning which is fantastic for students as you get the very latest training available . Recently he was doing advanced training in Munich with world famous Long Time Liner . He was awarded a elite therapist status one of only 6 in the UK which is a excellent achievement . He then flew to Vietnam again to do advance training . He has trained with dawn CRagg the only spmu MBE in the UK . I am biased in a way because no one is harder to please than me . I do not work for ashwood academy but feel he was so thorough and it was a excellent course I have to sing his praises .
I expect you to check everything out not just listen to me. You should also ask to see the qualifications your tutor has .
I know ashwood academy courses which cover everything are under £6000 the same training with other s establishments start at £8000 for like for like trainjng or you could so brow only course which included machine pigments etc for £3000
Call them 01274 686330 www.ashwoodacademy.co.uk
Good luck x

Carms, we're you new to the industry when you started SPM?

Sheila, did you do the above training?

Hi Kayleigh
I've been doing SPMU since last Sept and I can honestly say its been a roller-coaster of a job you have many ups and downs and with it comes big responsibility of your clients. Its not an easy job and you have to put a a lot of hard work, commitment, time and practise or you won't be any good if you don't. I've heard of many girls who have paid all this money and given up trying because they can't get the work or they just aren't pushing themselves everyday to practise. Theres a lot of competition in this game some good work some terrible everyone charges different prices, do your research before parting with your cash on a course.

You have to think about the cost of your materials, as soon as I make money it goes out again on buying more pigments and needles and its super expensive. I trained with Nouveau Contour and I think they have a very good reputation .. Jody Knight trained me, she is a wonderful trainer! I have spent over £8000 so far but for N/C are the best in my eyes.

There are different levels you pay for, if you do a bronze course you are wasting your money you really need to do a Silver level or gold if you can afford it. With these levels you get 6 or more workshops and many more training days this is where you learn your stuff.

I'm going to be totally honest with you not many girls make a good living out of it, they may need another job to keep the Penny's coming in.... There are the lucky few who make it and can earn thousands of pounds a week if you are at the top of your game! I have found most SPMU Artist have to travel to different salons to build up their client base to make big money. I just keep pushing myself all the time the 1st and 2nd year are the hardest I've been told. But if you are that determined you can do anything you want you have to 100% committed or you won't make the big bucks.

I found most of my business on Facebook but you do need to get yourself in the car and knock on a lot of salon owners doors to find more business. Build a great website and a lot of before and after pictures to prove how good your work is so client trust you.

Hi Kayleigh

Hi CARMS
Hows the SPMU business going now?
After much research i've signed up to train with NC next month...... v excited but scary too!

Hi CARMS
Hows the SPMU business going now?
After much research i've signed up to train with NC next month...... v excited but scary too!

Unfortunately, the quoted poster has been absent from the site since 2014, so if you still need an answer to the question, you may prefer to create a new thread instead?

Latest posts

Back