Tan % & mixing different %

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucyboo

Reaction score
Am I being daft in thinking I read somewhere that you can mix different % of solution to get a completely different %??
Reason I'm asking is I'm almost out of 10% Sienna x but need it for a client on wed morning. I have 8% & 12% can I mix these ti get a 10%???

Yes use the same measurements of both % and you will have a 10! Same if u mix a 10 and a 14 u will get a 12 and so on...but be careful if they are different scents per diff % as you may concoct somethin nasty :)

Thankyou x all solutions have the same scent, got some measuring to do!!!

Thankyou x all solutions have the same scent, got some measuring to do!!!

Hi

Never mix different percentages! There is a very high risk that this will give your client and patchy tan.

You could do her an 8% tan and call her back after 24 hours for top up with 8% again. This will give her a deeper colour.

It is absolutley fine to mix percents of tanning solution (but please dont mix brands).

% + % = ?? ...... ?? / 2 = new %

So:

10 + 14 = 24 ........ 24 / 2 = 12
12 + 18 = 30 ........ 30 / 2 = 15
8 + 18 = 26 ........ 26 / 2 = 13

You must ALWAYS mix equal quantities for the equasion to work but those quantities can be any amount so you could mix 10ml + 10ml to get 20ml then mix that 20ml + 20ml = 40ml (1 tan) or 500ml + 500ml = 1 litre.

Remember to shake/mix/swirl your solutions before mixing to ensure the DHA has not settled and mix/swirl it again before using it.

*TIP* I find a pippet or a turkey baster is the easiest way to ensure you get equal quantities.

Am I being daft in thinking I read somewhere that you can mix different % of solution to get a completely different %??
Reason I'm asking is I'm almost out of 10% Sienna x but need it for a client on wed morning. I have 8% & 12% can I mix these ti get a 10%???

Whilst it is generally not a good idea to mix different % solutions to create a third solution however provided that the ingredients are the same and the volumes also in an emergency why not.
Just be careful to get the mix quantities correct and mix well

In closing...best to avoid such things generally
HTH

Latest posts

Back