Over spraying clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Zoe*

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am just looking for some advise from an experienced spray tanner here. I know there are few threads on here of a similar nature, but none of them answer my question.

I had a client last night who was quite pale and wanted a spray tan. I booked her in and did 8% on her (I use LA Tanning in case you are interested, but Sienna X trained).

She has text me this morning to say she likes her tan but it is a little darker than she had hoped.

I think the problem is my technique. I am using far too much solution so I think my clients are getting a 'double dip' effect. I try to only put a light spray on people, then get worried that there is not enough on and they will have streaks and end up going back over them so they have a good coating of it. Not dripping, but still far too much.

My main question is how do you know when you have put enough on? I need to learn what is a good enough coating of spray tan so I don't keep worrying and over spraying people.

Any reply/advice will be much appreciated.

Zoe

Hi

Has she washed the guide colour off? I only ask as I was under the impression that going over areas twice would only make the guide colour darker and once washed off be be a 8%?

I still use abit too much solution as Im new to spray tanning as well but whenever Ive sprayed a area twice my friends have said the guide colour is darker but it washes off to a 8/10%

Or maybe its abit of a shock if its her first tan and pale?!

Like I said I may be wrong - im new myself but that was my thinking!

xx

I was taught by Aviva Labs to turn the gum down very low so you can hardly see the guide colour. You follow the movement of the skin instead. The client should almost be dry to the touch when finishing. you can always go over shoulders chest and legs if need be. It might take slightly longer but you will use so much less solution!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I was taught by Aviva Labs to turn the gum down very low so you can hardly see the guide colour. You follow the movement of the skin instead. The client should almost be dry to the touch when finishing. you can always go over shoulders chest and legs if need be. It might take slightly longer but you will use so much less solution!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I will give it a go. Just wish I had someone local to be a mentor :-(

I used to do the same as you until i watched the spray trainer show my daughter,and i realised how bad i'd been i used to use about 100mls a tan, i now use 40-50mls.i had it in my head that the client had to look very brown when they left, but this is not the case. Do your routine about 6" away from client vertically with spray dial at 6 oclock.la tan gives a dark guide so you should see where you've been. when you've finished get them to step out of tent in good lighting and see if you've missed anywhere, if you have go over them bits.What have you got your solution dial set at? what kind of machine have you?:Love:

Am keeping an eye on this thread. I too am new to spray tanning and probably use about 60ml per booking. Am so afraid I miss any bits.

Anyone any tips on best technique for hands greatly appreciated also!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Am keeping an eye on this thread. I too am new to spray tanning and probably use about 60ml per booking. Am so afraid I miss any bits.

Anyone any tips on best technique for hands greatly appreciated also!

when doing arms get the client to slightly claw the hane ad as you stroke down the arm and get close to the hands simply pull the gun away thus reducing the amount of solution going onto the hands and eliminating those horrid tan line margins where the tan ends on the hands
Given that hands,through washing up etc are mostly effected by wear sometimes it is appropriate to lightly mist the hands (held in a claw again) just to give an additional light coating to this area
HTH

Thanks for that, worry that too much would give that horrid dark knuckles. Will follow your advice and report back, many thanks!

Thanks for that, worry that too much would give that horrid dark knuckles. Will follow your advice and report back, many thanks!

Good luck and remember practice/usage and technique makes perfect :wink2:

The skin can only absorb so much dha in one go so if you used 8% and sprayed twice it doesn't mean the end result will get darker, just means the guide colour is darker. I've trained with 3 different brands and been told this twice. Double dip will not give a darker end result. So perhaps your client is just not used to having a colour as she's so pale and maybe spray tan isn't for her. Or it might take a few more for her to get used to the colour she goes. If not I would suggest a gradual manual tan.
Hth

The skin can only absorb so much dha in one go so if you used 8% and sprayed twice it doesn't mean the end result will get darker, just means the guide colour is darker. I've trained with 3 different brands and been told this twice. Double dip will not give a darker end result. So perhaps your client is just not used to having a colour as she's so pale and maybe spray tan isn't for her. Or it might take a few more for her to get used to the colour she goes. If not I would suggest a gradual manual tan.
Hth

Good to know about the double dip, thank you. I had a client recently say that their hands and feet were lighter than everywhere else even though I went back to go over the feet as they were concerned they looked lighter. Could it just be their own individual skin that caused this?

I think that Tantric do an even lighter color than 8% ( such a long time ago now) but maybe a lighter color for her next time? I have also found that some clients just seemto suck up solution and end up darker than another with the same comlpexion. Maybe her skin was very dry LOL

I think that Tantric do an even lighter color than 8% ( such a long time ago now) but maybe a lighter color for her next time? I have also found that some clients just seem to suck up solution and end up darker than another with the same comlpexion. Maybe her skin was very dry LOL

Yes we do manufacture Tantrick in a 5% variant.
Whilst this variant may be suitable for the overall skin tone outcome requirement from the client I dont somehow think that this will deal with the problem at hands(forgive the pun lol)

I also disagree with the other posting....when lightly misting a double application will in fact provide a darker tan outcome than that of a single light misting and therefore feel,and experience this as a good solution to the hand problem here
HTH

Yes we do manufacture Tantrick in a 5% variant.
Whilst this variant may be suitable for the overall skin tone outcome requirement from the client I dont somehow think that this will deal with the problem at hands(forgive the pun lol)

I also disagree with the other posting....when lightly misting a double application will in fact provide a darker tan outcome than that of a single light misting and therefore feel,and experience this as a good solution to the hand problem here
HTH

Thanks that certainly explains hands being lighter then cause I did go over arm area twice, and scared still at hands though! Will just have to practice practice. Thanks again for the advice-do you know any good you tube videos that demonstrate a spray tan method/sequence you would endorse?

use a bit of barrier cream on knuckles x

Thanks that certainly explains hands being lighter then cause I did go over arm area twice, and scared still at hands though! Will just have to practice practice. Thanks again for the advice-do you know any good you tube videos that demonstrate a spray tan method/sequence you would endorse?

Here you go few too keep you busy.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=GB#/watch?v=hIAL70WMwcU

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=GB#/watch?v=yayKf2svePI

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=GB#/watch?v=hIAL70WMwcU

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=GB#/watch?v=ZlGeFlCN3HE

Ignore the second video that's not even showing you the technique lol added the wrong link x

Thank you! My homework tonight! ;-)

I meant double dipping overall when spraying normally, not misting over hands or feet. just to be clear on what I was meaning!

Latest posts

Back