Big, big problem with ingrowing hairs, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glamcwtch

Reaction score
Hi there,
I really need some help, I have Noticed that a few of my clients that have a Brazilian/hollywood wax are getting really bad ingrowing hair's. Some have said they used to get them before and other's have said they have never had them before.
So is it me am I causing this?? I've trained with Kim Lawless and I use Perron Rigot Hot wax, I dont double dip, I wear golves and have all the pre and after care range that Perron Rigot sell. I stick to what Kim trained me to do but I really feel this is my fault and need to know what it is I'm doing wrong ,I have lost one client to this she still has her nails done but is taking some time off her waxing because she can so many ingrowing hairs.
Any help would be great, Thank you

Well a lot will be down to you giving them the correct after care advice... What are you telling them to do???

I'm sure this would have been covered on the training with Kim?

Hi I tell them and give them my aftercare sheet

Brazilian waxing

Keep the waxed area clean, and avoid heat and friction during the next 24 to 48 hours. This means:
  • No hot baths or showers (washing with warm water is fine).
  • No saunas, hot tubs or steam rooms.
  • No tanning (sunbathing, sunbeds or fake tans).
  • No sport, gym work or other exercise.
  • No sexual activity.
  • Avoid touching the waxed skin with unwashed hands and take particular care with cleanliness after using the toilet.
  • Wear clean underwear and avoid friction from tight clothing.
  • Avoid swimming.
  • Do not apply deodorants, body sprays, powders, lotions or other products to the area, other than those recommended by your therapist.
  • To soothe and protect the skin, apply an antiseptic cream to the waxed area regularly for 3 days following your treatment. Always wash your hands before.
Preventing ingrown hairs
Ingrown hairs occur when a new hair can't break through the surface of the skin and curls back into the pore instead.
Starting a few days after your appointment, gently brush your skin with a body brush, do this every 3rd day but no more than that as this can cause ingrowing hairs. Also moisturise the area every day, which will keep the skin supple and help new hairs to break through.
I recommend regular waxings every 4 weeks.

Brazilian waxing

Keep the waxed area clean, and avoid heat and friction during the next 24 to 48 hours. This means:
  • No sexual activity.
  • Avoid touching the waxed skin with unwashed hands and take particular care with cleanliness after using the toilet.
  • Avoid swimming.
  • Do not apply deodorants, body sprays, powders, lotions or other products to the area, other than those recommended by your therapist.
  • To soothe and protect the skin, apply an antiseptic cream to the waxed area regularly for 3 days following your treatment. Always wash your hands before.
Preventing ingrown hairs
Ingrown hairs occur when a new hair can't break through the surface of the skin and curls back into the pore instead.
Starting a few days after your appointment, gently brush your skin with a body brush, do this every 3rd day but no more than that as this can cause ingrowing hairs. Also moisturise the area every day, which will keep the skin supple and help new hairs to break through.

Depending on the kind of hair people have some people are just prone to them despite following all of your aftercare, it is nothing that you are doing wrong. I used to get them so badly with waxing that I have now had IPL and no hair so no ingrown ones! :D:D

Your aftercare sounds fine to me - there is a product out there that you can get - it's like a tiny roll on I think... which will help with the ingrown hairs - no doubt someone who can recall the name will be along shortly lol

Your aftercare sounds fine to me - there is a product out there that you can get - it's like a tiny roll on I think... which will help with the ingrown hairs - no doubt someone who can recall the name will be along shortly lol

PFB Vanish?

I stock this but the product I advise clients to use is Magnesium paste, it's excellent and very cheap.

Jacqui xx

Have you ever tried ingrow go products. Not sure wat the general feeling is on there products but i used to use them and found them fairly good x

I have the same issue with a few clients. The magnesium paste sounds great any one know where I can tell clients to get it from? I usually suggest the ingrown hair cream from boots roughly £2 a small tube. I've tried prep oil, talc, sensitive wax. I use warm wax and hot wax on Brazilian and Hollywood but only ingrowns occur on area that was warm waxed. So no idea. I'm really prone to them if I have my staff do it or I do it or shave or epilate. I guess some people just get them no matter what. Which is a little disheartening for you and client

Magnesium paste?

Sounds very interesting :)

You can get it from any chemist.

It will be in a small white pot, nothing fancy and it won't cost more than £4 or £5.

My most successful client had ingrowing hairs all over her legs and bikini and they are improved by about 90%.

She tells me she put it on at night.

It's also good for drawing out a splinter lodged under the skin.

Jacqui xx

I'll have to try that - I use it for the odd splinters (was taught by my ex's dad bless him - we used to have an allotment together and the brambles!!!!) and it works great for them :) It seems logical that it would work for ingrown hairs though it never occurred to me!

PFB Vanish?

I stock this but the product I advise clients to use is Magnesium paste, it's excellent and very cheap.

Jacqui xx

Do you just leave it on or do you have to massage it in? x

Thanks everyone:Love:
Will buy some cream and ask my clients to try it, I will give a up-date.
Thank you again.

Put it on the area and rub it in a little bit.
What a fab tip - i've got some in the cupboard - i'm gonna try it tonight !X

Is it very sad that i'm a bit excited about trying it out??? Ha ha:biggrin:

What a fab tip - i've got some in the cupboard - i'm gonna try it tonight !X

Is it very sad that i'm a bit excited about trying it out??? Ha ha:biggrin:

Let us know how you get on.

xx

Brazilian waxing

• No sexual activity.
  • Avoid swimming.
Preventing ingrown hairs
Hiya! Don't get in a panic as some people are just prone to ingrown hairs. I've got clients who never get one and they don't do any aftercare and some who get them and follow all the rules.

Out of interest, is your client quite fleshy as opposed to thin? I find that heavier clients are more prone to them.

I always say that prevention is better than cure, so dry brushing and a little baby oil works wonders and I've seen the results. Even better still is A Bit Of Rough - Japanese Style Wash Cloth - About and I've had great feedback from my male and female clients. You can retail them as they're really cheap.

By the way, that's not my list of aftercare, but I'll answer that on a different reply as I can't see it in this reply box as I'm typing. x

After Brazilian waxing, I simply tell them to avoid any extreme heat or public swimming baths for 24hrs. To exfoliate with either a dry brush or the Japanese washcloth that I mentioned in my earlier reply after a couple of days and a couple times a week. Apply a little baby oil after or keep the area moisturised.

I don't tell them to avoid sex or anything else after brazilian waxing. If you use a good hot wax, they don't need to.

Strip waxing is different and the aftercare is a little more involved (such as avoiding the gym for 24hrs etc), but I would just keep it simple.

Brazilian waxing

• No sexual activity.
  • Avoid swimming.
Preventing ingrown hairs

Latest posts

Back