Client has 'shadowing' above top lip which isn't hair?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l.a.m.x

Reaction score
Hello geeks!

I have a female client in her early 50's who has shadowing above her top lip. It is not hair, she is fair haired with a light-med skin tone but it is more of a long dark shadow mark above her lip.

Any ideas what it is or what causes it? Or what can cover it?

She also mentioned it became quite noticeable after her summer holiday last year?

Any help much appreciated x

Hi, its more than likely a pigmentation mark, its quite common, is she menopausal? Its usually caused by hormones, some steroid medication can also cause it or excessive sun exposure...and it will get a lot worse in the sun, she will find that unless she covers up with min factor 50 that year on year it may darken. The problem with it being on the top lip is that it can look a bit like a moustache and women get very self consious of it. The only way to totally get rid if it is laser, dermabrasion (she would need a course) or a glycolic peel...all very strong treatments I am afraid. If it is hormonal she may find that it fades with time.
If she is going through the menapause then she could maybe ask her doctor what he thinks?
Hope that helps tinaxx

I know I young girl of 16,
With this and her mum used jolena bleach, I think that's how you spell it.

when i was younger i used all my pocket money on hair removal cream for my hairy top lip as i was getting picked on at school, and when it didnt work i got some pre-waxed strips and waxed, taking off not only the hairs but also all of my skin on my lip!!! :-o now i always have pigmentation which i cover with makeup :(

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

I have the opposite to this! .. My upper lip always appears white?! .. And much paler to the rest of my skin!? ..Does anyone know what this could possibly be?! .. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'd never of thought to ask but as this thread came up, I thought I would! :) x

After waxing a top lip clients should really apply some SPF cream. Your face is open to the elements and even if the sun's not shining the UVA and UVB rays can still be get through.

If its pigmentation then she could try a product such as Clinique Even Better Skin Tone Correcting Serum. Its clinically proven to improve pigmentation, discolorations and dark spots by 58% in 12 weeks, with first results in as little as 4 weeks. Its comparable to the leading prescriptive ingredient (hydroquinnin) excuse my spelling of it. It basically controls the over active melanicites in the skin and it gently exfoliates the skin to improve skin tone. It will give the same results as the hydroqunnin but without the irritation or other side effects. Its a wonderful product, easily available, easy to use, gentle on the skin and gives clinical results! bargin!!

There are lots of usless products in the ever growing skincare market however you do occasionally get some amazing ones that lots of years of development has went into like this one and it actually works! They also have a foundation that combats uneve skin tone too is she wants instant results, i use it a lot as it give a natural coverage but really hides discolorations and quite good for acne scars too, and no, i dont work for this company:p they just have some really good products that i think totally work!

hi,
It sounds like pigmentation mark to me,i have tried lightening face creams such as ceteum scr gold creme de lite and these have really reduced the pigmentation marks on my cheeks,hope this helps :)

Cetuem | SCR Skin Care | Crème de Lite

Amazing help geeks, as always. Thank you xxx

My sister in law has this, it has appeared since she started medication for an illness she has x

Just skimmed this thread so dont know whetger it has been mentioned but the contraceptive pill causes dark/ light changes in the top lip!! I know ur client is 50 but u never know!! Lol. However this may be the case with younger ladies who are on the pill.

I have the opposite to this! .. My upper lip always appears white?! .. And much paler to the rest of my skin!? ..Does anyone know what this could possibly be?! .. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'd never of thought to ask but as this thread came up, I thought I would! :) x

My friend is a five element acupuncturist and he told me that this is a sign of a metal imbalance.
I'm seeing him tomorrow and so will check!

Last edited:
Is she a smoker, or x smoker? Fine creases can cause shadowing. hthx

My friend is a five element acupuncturist and he told me that this is a sign of iron deficiency ( from memory!), as I have had this occasionally.
I'm seeing him tomorrow and so will check!

Really!! That would be great if you could check- thanks :) .. If that is the case, what can I do? Take iron tablets from holland & Barrett possibly? Xx

it's not advised to take iron tablets without first having a blood test done as it could mask other deficiencies.
advise to visit her gp and get her bloods done first.

it's not advised to take iron tablets without first having a blood test done as it could mask other deficiencies.
advise to visit her gp and get her bloods done first.

Oh, it's not for a client! I hijacked this thread with my own question and somebody pointed out it could be an iron deficiency.. Il get myself to my gp :) xx

Latest posts

Back