Eyelash extensions and swollen eye?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahhh123

Reaction score
I have been doing this ladies lashes for over a year, obviously patch tested and she's been fine until she came in Thursday, had her maintenance and now she's got a swollen eye :( we've taken them off and I kept finding gunk under the lashes during removal! In my 6 years doing lashes I've not come across this before! Amy ideas what could have happened? Obviously I sterilise my tools x

I have been doing this ladies lashes for over a year, obviously patch tested and she's been fine until she came in Thursday, had her maintenance and now she's got a swollen eye :( we've taken them off and I kept finding gunk under the lashes during removal! In my 6 years doing lashes I've not come across this before! Amy ideas what could have happened? Obviously I sterilise my tools x

Obviously stating the obvious :D could she have contracted conjunctivitus?? Other than that, we all know that you can have extensions applied for years and then all of a sudden develop an allergy :(

Have you asked her if shes had ANY signs or irritation in the infills leading up to this episode?

Hate to say it, but sounds like an allergic reaction booooo.

Ofcourse the other thought is, its spring and there is alot of pollen around which could have brought on hayfever, but in one eye ..... unlikely

Could just be a eye infection caused by not cleaning the lashes and alot of people can fiddle with their lashes causing bacteria to enter the eye.

What do you mean by gunk?

I have a few clients who wear makeup and eyes hadow and this can collect at the base of the lashes?

But, if they're swollen then there is an infection. Is it all the way along the lash line and on both eyes? If not, it could be a stye (infected follicle) or just an irritation.
Otherwise, she could unfortunately have become allergic (as it can happen after a period of time).

Also, has she started taking any new medications, or new eye products?

x

Sadly I have had 2 Ladies become allergic to lashes around 6 months into having extensions. Red, itchy, swollen lids. I myself had a set of lashes applied last week and also reacted. I truly believe there is nothing you can do to prevent it as I do a thorough patch test, am scrupulously clean, prep lashes etc and still the reaction happened. I haven't tried using a sensitive glue as I know the bondng just isn't so strong x

Sent from my AT100 using SalonGeek

Has anyone had an luck finding a solution for clients or self whom are allergic? Anyone have success with sensitive glues? If so, which?

Sadly I have had 2 Ladies become allergic to lashes around 6 months into having extensions. Red, itchy, swollen lids. I myself had a set of lashes applied last week and also reacted. I truly believe there is nothing you can do to prevent it as I do a thorough patch test, am scrupulously clean, prep lashes etc and still the reaction happened. I haven't tried using a sensitive glue as I know the bondng just isn't so strong x

Sent from my AT100 using SalonGeek

Has anyone had an luck finding a solution for clients or self whom are allergic? Anyone have success with sensitive glues? If so, which?

What happens is the glue doesn't cure until it sucks up enough moisture to harden it. We as lash techs assume that the glue dries in the air, but really it needs moisture to 'cure'. While it is curing, it is exposing the eyes to the harsh fumes. Some people build an intolerance to the glue in time.

A couple of things we did: First we found a low fume glue that even the most sensitive clients can wear, and it lasts well.(PM me if you would like info about this glue) Second, we started curing with a humidifier, or a nebulizer.

Since we changed the glue a year and a half ago, we haven't had any new allergies form.

That being said, I think your issue sounds more like an infection of some sort. I would have your client go to an eye doctor, and have her eyes checked.

Latest posts

Back