How do you 'drop' a client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
What do you do if you have a client and for whatever reason you don't want her as a client any more?

I know this sounds a bit odd, but I have one who just gives me the heeby jeebies - she's a bit stalkerish, IYKWIM, I have tried being unavailable but she's happy to make appointments way in advance and I even tried cancelling a few due to illness but she keeps coming back. She has an appointment in my diary in 2 weeks and it's for her anniversary so I don't want to let her down but by the same token I really don't want her in!

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound unkind but she just seems a little unhinged and it concerns me...

What do you do if you have a client and for whatever reason you don't want her as a client any more?

I know this sounds a bit odd, but I have one who just gives me the heeby jeebies - she's a bit stalkerish, IYKWIM, I have tried being unavailable but she's happy to make appointments way in advance and I even tried cancelling a few due to illness but she keeps coming back. She has an appointment in my diary in 2 weeks and it's for her anniversary so I don't want to let her down but by the same token I really don't want her in!

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound unkind but she just seems a little unhinged and it concerns me...
Oh gosh this is a bit difficult.

I've pondered on different scenarios but none of them are really suitable.

Except this one -

Regardless of how far in advance she wants to book YOU NEVER HAVE A FREE APPOINTMENT. Never. Hold her gaze, keep your voice steady and tell her that you are really sorry but here is the number of another salon.

You will just have to tough this one out for the duration of that encounter and then it's done.

Good luck.

Jacqui x

Can you not possibly say that you have been to the gp who has advised you that you need to not work for say 2 months as you have a condition that simply won't heal on its own, you need to rest as working is making it significantly worse? .. Then offer her a number for an alternative place saying that you go there yourself, and you hate to lose business, but you are unable to give a date of when you may return to work so it is your only option at this time?

Failing that, what is it she has done? .. You could say that your insurance is due for renewal and upon attempting to renew your insurance, because your certificate in 'her desired treatment' is now 'x' number of years old, they require you to do a refresher course in it in order to insure you again, so at this moment in time you are not currently covered by your insurance to provide the treatment she requires!! Apologise for the inconvenience caused and state how daft it is that your insurance company require you to do this!!

Hope you get out of it hun, it's a horrible situation to be in! Xx

I too have a client like this and debating whether to keep them on. However I usually say when I find a client not right for me that I am cutting back on hours and working less and hence will no longer take her appointments. Making up long winded reasons I personally would not bother with - too complicated.:eek:

I would agree with NEVER having an appointment available

I would phone her, say due to unforseen circumstances I will not be able to commit to our appointment, here is a number for x salon, unfortunately I doubt I will be able to commit to any other appointments for the foreseeable! Don't start worryingly about making excuses! If it was the other way round I'm sure a client wouldn't think twice about dropping a therapist!!

Like Iconic said, give her another therapists number. Stalkerish people can take a good bit of 'batting off' and have many reasons available to why they can't go to this person or that one so I'd be armed with a directory of therapists TBH :S

Good luck :)

Lindsey x

Hi, please forgive my naivety but why is she a problem? It may be because I do not have any 'stalker' customers so I have never experienced it so I don't know what you mean. All I can think is if she is giving you loads of business why worry?! Does she make you feel uncomfortable at the appointments? Im sure if i'm ever in the same situation I will think back to this moment!

In answer to your question tho, I think if I wanted to get rid of a client I would definitely say what someone above said and that is that you are sorry but you are unable make the next appointment and will be unable to commit to any appointments at the present time. But you know of someone else who could help and give her their number.....lucky them!!! X

How did it go?? Did you manage to drop her?? X

Ive dropped a couple before , just said due to a family crisis will be away from the buisness for a while and not sure when I will be returning back at the moment ...and just hope they dont call back ...its worked for me ...;) Ive done it because Im mobile and sometimes theres just some situations you just dont wanna return back to unfortunatly it has to be done...

Last edited:
i have to say reading through this thread and the replies, it did make me chuckle! haha

I cant say iv ever had a 'stalker' client but maybe you could also say you no longer do that certain typoe of treatment that she has?!

Good luck! keep us posted :p

Latest posts

Back