High street skin care products - which are best?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb78

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've done a search on this and can't find exacty what I'm looking for, so thought I'd try a new thread.

I'm 34 and my skin is now awful (never suffered with bad skin up until about the past year)... dark rings round my eyes, dull skin and lots of spots and blemishes, particularly round my jaw line... yuk, it's horrible! I do the whole cleanse, tone, moisturise routine and keep trying all diff products - but nothing seems to suit my skin - which, to be fair, I would best describe as combination as I have dry bits, oily bits, spotty bits etc!

Money is tight at the moment (having opened my own salon at the start of this year) and so I can't afford anything too luxurious, so the likes of Dermilogica and Elemis are out! Can anyone recommend any great products that I can buy on the high street for a pretty cheap price please??

Thanks guys, I'm at my wits end with it :( xx

Can I ask what you are using at the moment? Xx

Ohh I've tried them all... got conned into using Clinique for a while (prior to money issues!!!!) and ended up buying loads from them - that made matters worse - was far too harsh for my skin, then used L'Oreal, then some brand which I bought from TK Maxx (I bet you're all cringing at me, haha!) called Coryse Salmone... which I did a search on and it had good write ups, but has made my skin awful :(

I'm back to the L'Oreal at the moment, but thats not doing anything either. xx

Ohh I've tried them all... got conned into using Clinique for a while (prior to money issues!!!!) and ended up buying loads from them - that made matters worse - was far too harsh for my skin, then used L'Oreal, then some brand which I bought from TK Maxx (I bet you're all cringing at me, haha!) called Coryse Salmone... which I did a search on and it had good write ups, but has made my skin awful :(

Hi I can't check at the moment but boots do a few good ones, if you put in there search yr skin concerns it will show you the brands and you can put in yr price range, most people leave feedback too do you will get an idea what's good ect, I used Clinique for four weeks and made my skin worse! I sent it back to them and got a refund :)
X x

Oh great, thank you - I didn't realise you could do that on the Boots website. I'll check it out now.

I've been looking at the likes of Nivea and Simple - I know these really are the cheap end of the market and I'm under no illusions that they won't be as good as the better named products - you do get what yu pay for after all - but if I can get a brand that is pretty good and cheap, that would be great until the salon picks up and I can start spending money on myself again as well as the business!! :rolleyes:

xx

Yeah, Clinique is like paint stripper. Usage of alcohol in their products really dries out the skin. Depends on your budget really, and like you said you do get what you pay for.

The main products you need are a good cleanser, maybe you could get a two in one cleanser toner? And a good moisturiser... So you're cleaning the skin and protecting it too.

Liz Earle are quite reasonably priced and I've heard really good stuff about them.. Maybe something to look into?
I'm not a huge fan of Clarins but they're quite reasonable too with a wide variety.
Hope you find something :)
What facial range are you using in salon?Xxx

Liz Earle is lovely, especially the Hot Cloth Cleanser, which works as an exfoliant when used with the muslin cloth x

Can i ask how long you are using a product before switching? Changing frequently could be causing some of your problems. If this isnt the case simple might be best, no perfumes to irritate. If money was no object id definatley say dermalogica, im a junkie and i preach to anyone who will listen haha

Sent from my GT-I5500 using SalonGeek

Your skin sounds very stressed!

Out of the ones you have suggested I would probably go for simple, due to it's gentle ingredients. Your skin will need time to get used to a different range so use it for at least 3 months before changing.

Would you be able to buy one product from a higher quality range? My skin used to be very much as you describe yours until I started using Elemis. I would suggest if you can the Herbal Lavender Repair Mask. It will help with the blemishes and also brighten your skin. Use it once or twice a week, so it should last a good while.

Rhiannon x

Liz Earle is lovely, especially the Hot Cloth Cleanser, which works as an exfoliant when used with the muslin cloth x

This was what i was going to suggest. Awesome products love them. No7 have some good ones too.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Hi hun, stepped over from nail geek here..! I'm not qualified in skin care whatsoever do my opinion isn't professional but I had to comment as I've had problems with breakouts & terrible skin the past few years (had absolute no problems as a teen, clear skin all the way until my 20s!) anyway I've tried everything, lots of different creams from the docs, various face washes including dermalogica, simple, garnier, loreal, origins, Nivea, olay to name but a few! but I've been using the new skin care range from no7 in boots, the green bottle is for oily/combination skin, along with a simple toner I've used all the way through trying different face washes, and I've found it's really improved my skin! Although for the same period I've also been using the no7 bb cream at the same time so it could be either or the combination. Good luck, I feel your frustration!! xxxx

Awww, thanks for all the replies folks, that's really helped and glad to see I am not the only one who suffers! Likewise, sailed through my teens with good skin, was ok in my 20s, hit my 30s and I'm like an adolescent teenager!!!!!

I actually used to use Liz Earle years and years ago - so will look back into that, thank you for the reminder, had forgotten all about that brand.

Yep, I could stretch to one higher priced product and so will look at the face mask that was suggested, thank you. I'm just thinking I can't kit out my whole new skin care routine in a high end brand at the moment... so good to hear some thoughts on the cheaper ones.

In the salon, I use Priadora, which is actually not that expensive and I only trialled it a couple of months back as they sent me some free samples. I got such great feedback from my clients who have regular facials, that I have stuck with it. I had planned to use Elemis or Espa in the salon... but given it's taking a while to build up our client base and my facial regulars seem to love Priadora... I'm thinking, why change at the moment!!

Thanks again, xxx :)

I love the soap and glory face wash (forget its name, but its in a clear tube and is a green gel with pink bits). I too suffer from spots around my jawline and when i am stressed. This face wash really helps! Not too drying but makes your skin feel amazing after you use it.

Second to this I like the no7 foaming face wash teamed with the matching face scrub to use twice a week :)

Can i ask how long you are using a product before switching? Changing frequently could be causing some of your problems. If this isnt the case simple might be best, no perfumes to irritate. If money was no object id definatley say dermalogica, im a junkie and i preach to anyone who will listen haha

Sent from my GT-I5500 using SalonGeek

I'm giving things a good four to six weeks, but finding that quite quickly, my skin will get worse. I know, Dermalogica is great, it's just out of the question on budget at the moment.... when I'm running a mini beauty empire, I'll indulge then... in the mean time, I'm off to Boots or Asda, haha! xx

I'm giving things a good four to six weeks, but finding that quite quickly, my skin will get worse. I know, Dermalogica is great, it's just out of the question on budget at the moment.... when I'm running a mini beauty empire, I'll indulge then... in the mean time, I'm off to Boots or Asda, haha! xx

Hope you find something that suits your skin.

I slap on the Lavender Mask when I'm having a bad skin day and it really does help. Also if you buy it from an Elemis counter ask if you could have a sample of a cleanser and toner. Elemis are normally pretty good at handing these out if you ask nicely :)
Rhiannon x

Hope you find something that suits your skin.

I slap on the Lavender Mask when I'm having a bad skin day and it really does help. Also if you buy it from an Elemis counter ask if you could have a sample of a cleanser and toner. Elemis are normally pretty good at handing these out if you ask nicely :)
Rhiannon x

Fabulous, thank you - I will def give this a try,

Juliet x

One other thing I forgot to mention is, I use a gentle face wash (using Olay at present) first before the green no7 foaming face wash (in a pump bottle) - read in a magazine & done it ever since, think its helps dry out my oily skin :)

Hi there!

I am using Skin Truth at the moment and have found their range quite good and really cheap. I've used Clinique in the past but went off it eventually.

I have recently changed to Skin Truth from cheap rubbish out of Superdrug and already my skin looks a lot better. I know its maybe not 'high street' but we have a non-trade Sallys on our local High Street, also when u consider the price of their products compared to some of the high street ranges such as Simple etc they are probably better value for money.
Thought I would suggest this to you as a cheaper alternative to the dearer products for the time being :)

Hope this helps and good luck!xx

I hope you don't mind me asking but why don't you use priadara if that's what you use in the salon ?

I hope you don't mind me asking but why don't you use priadara if that's what you use in the salon ?

Hi,

I have tried it and I'm personally not overly keen on it if I'm totally honest, it's a bit too heavy for me (hence why it wasn't a brand that I was going to go with when I opened the salon) BUT I have had great feedback from clients, so if they like it... who am I to disagree!!!! Also, you can only buy huge containers of it in Ellisons and it's not that cheap - about £15 a bottle (which I know is not expensive either), but I am looking for a bit cheaper than that for myself. xx

Latest posts

Back