Is the bad weather affecting business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachcob27

Reaction score
Hi, I have noticed that since we've had all this terrible rain my Spa has been very quiet. I have only been open 2 months but have gone from pretty busy to quiet and am wondering if anyone else has got the same problem?:sad:

I would say so. I know myself I'm not thinking about putting anything on my toes until the sun's out and stays out. Just an example.

I have also noticed that when we do get a bit of Sun, folk do go out more.

However I would also think that its effecting the whole of the high street not just beauty.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

I'm glad it's not just me! When the weather was good I had lots of new spray tans (just trained in it) coming in and pedicures and now it's all a bit flat.

Business has gone slow for me I've done 2 people up to now this week! It's so hard been quite. The shops we're I am are also quite, its just dead out!

I find leading up to bank holiday weekends are SOOO busy! Last week before the bank hol I tripled my record for the number of spray tans done in a week! This week, I'm back to normal. Hopefully the sun will come out soon and we'll see a REAL May!

I've not been that busy with tanning lately as im not kidding it has rained on & off for 2 weeks flat here!

weathers a joke! & its starting to really pee me off now....... Roll on next month so I can go on holiday myself & have a bit of sun!! X

I'm booked solid until the 19th June, not even space for an eyebrow shape, but not with pedicures and traditional 'summer' treatments, rather it's with facials, body treatments and massage! Perhaps you might be better promoting some 'cosy' treatments for people who want to escape the weather?

Yes I think you're right I'm better off promoting hot stone massage this month!

Never busier.
New treatments, regular contact with my clients, and being very good at what I do!

Snap !! Could do with five pair of hands !! x

We're dead and def busier when the weather is nice, so you're not alone. I don't think people are going out as much - when they get home from work on a Friday night and it's piddling down, who wants to venture out -night in with a take away and unfortunately for us, you don't need to look fabulous for that.... so I am def blaming the weather!!

Come out please sun before we're all bankrupt!!!! :| x

I'm having the same problem!! Very glad to know I'm not the only one!! Adding massage, facials and body wraps to my treatment list in June so hoping this boosts it all again!

We're dead and def busier when the weather is nice, so you're not alone. I don't think people are going out as much - when they get home from work on a Friday night and it's piddling down, who wants to venture out -night in with a take away and unfortunately for us, you don't need to look fabulous for that.... so I am def blaming the weather!!

Come out please sun before we're all bankrupt!!!! :| x

Perhaps then it is worth looking at building up other parts of the business that aren't just about getting dolled up for going out? Personally, that side of the business has never interested me, I'm much more interested in skin health, well being and grooming. Thankfully this type of business is not weather dependent. The majority of my clients book 2 to 3 months ahead, some put in a whole year of appointments; vagaries like the weather don't come into it!

Yes, we do cover skincare and holistic treatments too, I was just saying that I've found people are coming less when the weather is bad, as areas of the business such as nails, tanning, manicures and pedicures are our busier offerings. I'm running an offer on facials at the moment, which like you suggest, is concentrating on other areas of the business, but it's not where most of my client base lies.

When I first started out and didn't have many clients I used the time to get new clients by networking like crazy.
I also started a thread about more ways to promote your business and loads of people have added some totally brilliant ideas. It's grown into a mahoosive thread now but if you're quiet you could check it out and see if any of the ideas work for you?
The worst thing you can do when you're quiet is to sit there and worry about it; get out there and market yourself!

I was quiet over easter but now i am really busy because of weddings and holidays coming up so the weather has not meant that i am less busy at the moment.
I am also starting to get new clients through word of mouth from friends,i love that hehe :)

We're getting our regular clients just not as many walk ins but it's not just our industry we have a pet shop next door and some days they have said they've only had 2 customers!

So glad I'm not the only one! I am only in my 6th week of my new business but I'm really hoping to get busier soon! I know it's always slow to start and I left a huge client base at my last place of work (miles away!) so I'm starting from scratch. I've done everything that Lynne and everyone else has suggested on "more ways to promote your business" and I'm constantly telling everyone what I'm doing. Get really worried sometimes that it won't pick up, maybe it is down to weather? Or maybe I've done the wrong thing/wrong location etc, but you never know until you try these things and can't go through life without taking risks, or we'd all be wonderong what if! Hope eeryone else gets busier soon too!

Last edited:
Like a couple of you I too have just opened! My busiest week was week before last but purely because of proms. The last few days have been quieter but this is definitely weather related....why bother so much with your body/nails etc when you're all wrapped up and under a brolly?? I find it hard to be out promoting myself as much as i'd like as I don't want to pay for extra staff till I really need them, but I have found the power of FB and twitter to be invaluable! I've managed to get to 550 FB friends in a month so can update my page with offers, last minute cancellations etc! That works quite well for me considering we're new! Got more training lined up in some new nail techniques as well so trying to think ahead all the time! Can't wait for some sunshine though!!

Wow 550 new friends, how did you find them all? I post nearly everyday and have kind of reached a peak at just over 100 likes. Invited all of my Facebook friends but find the majority of people ignore these invites! Plus I want people on my business Facebook that aren't necessarily my actual friends, just don't know where to find them!

Latest posts

Back