Are my prices too cheap?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forever Summer

Reaction score
Hello!

Just a quick question really...

I have had a few people say to me that my prices are too cheap.

I charge £12 for a full body spray tan, apart from Tuesdays where we offer "£10 Tuesdays" (mainly because Tuesdays are very quiet)

I also do an offer where if you come for 5 spray tans, you get one free.

Any thoughts are welcome :)

Last edited:
I charge £12 - £15 a full body and I have also been told im too cheap although I think it's quite reasonable xx

Depends on where you are... round here salons charge £25-£30 for a tan, mobile charges range from £10 up - I charge £20 and £15 on special offers. It's not just solution but my time getting there and setting up though... :)

Ive just started spray tanning and im charging £15 for a full body. Im mobile, but a salon not far from me charges £12. If a client is happy to come to me at home, then I'll charge £10 (because my tent has to go in my living room, so its only in a REAL emergency when I cant get the them if husband has the car).
But I also charge £20 for Gelish and been told "How much?" erm, I'll leave it thanks..even after I tell them, yes, but it lasts for up to 3 weeks!

I prefere to sit somewhere in the middle.
What are other salons/mobiles around you charging? Try raising your prices by a few pound and see what happens? So if that makes any difference, unfortunately in this business too cheap has the same effect as too expensive. Its a very ard situation to figure out! lol
xx

Thank you both for your replies.

Before I set up my salon, I telephones every salon in the area and asked their prices. The average price came out at £15. Therefore I think £12 is a good starting point for my salon.

Hello!

Just a quick question really...

I have had a few people say to me that my prices are too cheap.

I charge £12 for a full body spray tan, apart from Tuesdays where we offer "£10 Tuesdays" (mainly because Tuesdays are very quiet)

I also do an offer where if you come for 5 spray tans, you get one free.

It costs me roughly £*.**per spray tan, so I personally think charging £12 is a healthy profit for 10 minutes work.

Any thoughts are welcome :)

You're not supposed to put product / trade prices on here as this is a public website. Do you really want your clients to know how much you charge?

Your prices sound a little low. What you need to do is find out how much everyone else is charging in your area and take the average price. You will find spray tanning is a quick earner whereas some other treatments not so. It boils down to what people are prepared to pay.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're not supposed to put product / trade prices on here as this is a public website. Do you really want your clients to know how much you charge?

Your prices sound a little low. What you need to do is find out how much everyone else is charging in your area and take the average price. You will find spray tanning is a quick earner whereas some other treatments not so. It boils down to what people are prepared to pay.

Sorry I have just repeated what every one has just said- I just read it quickly.

You've only just started up but do not make your prices lower than everyone else- keep them the same or higher. At least if your normal prices are the same or higher, you can then run special offers when you get quiet periods.

Thank you for your advice.

I was just slightly worried when I was doing my research and found out that the total annual revenue in the beauty market has dropped by 2 billion pounds since 2007.

Adding that to the obvious recessions, job cuts, etc. People have less disposable income to spend on things such as beauty treatments.

After speaking to over 20 salons in the area I found some charged £12, most charged £15, and one or two charged more.

That's how I come to my price of £12. It wasn't just a rash decision.

Hi, you have a home based salon dont you? To me your pricing sounds fine - you can earn more if they come to you than if you were mobile and doing one tan an hour with travel and set up plus petrol etc.

I work from home and charge the same as you. I will only go out if it is for at least two people at the same house and I charge them £15 each, (and they have to be very local lol).

There are girls round here charging £10 mobile. I dont know if they are busy I dont care I have managed to build mine up really well purely by word of mouth, and the fact they can pretty much come whenever they want has been a huge plus point for me. It just takes time.

Hi, you have a home based salon dont you? To me your pricing sounds fine - you can earn more if they come to you than if you were mobile and doing one tan an hour with travel and set up plus petrol etc.

I work from home and charge the same as you. I will only go out if it is for at least two people at the same house and I charge them £15 each, (and they have to be very local lol).

There are girls round here charging £10 mobile. I dont know if they are busy I dont care I have managed to build mine up really well purely by word of mouth, and the fact they can pretty much come whenever they want has been a huge plus point for me. It just takes time.

Yes I built an extension on the side of my house and turned it into a salon. We are open almost all the time too. That has been our major success point. We only go mobile for spray tan parties (5 or more). There are others who charge less than £10 around here and they are also mobile, but I would doubt if they are even trained. We are very busy and that is the main thing I guess. As long as I am happy and my customers are happy :)

To be fair, I see your ad you posted on here & me being me had a nosey on your website & see you only charged £12, I think you should definetly raise your price. especially as your not using a tacky tan. x

personally i think you are too cheap! and forget what other salons are charging, you need to work out how much it costs you to do and then put a percentage on top for profit,

you need to work out how much solution,sticky feet, hair net and whatever consumables you use per tan including to clean up after, then add your salons hourly rate and divide by how long client is with you from start to finish,

hourly rate being - taking into account how much you want for your own time, rent, rates, gas/electric,water,insurance

lets say for example in solution/consumables costs you £5 and rent/time etc is £5 then it would cost you £10 to do without a profit so you add another xxx, otherwise how are you making money???

all costs are for example only

Well one way or another her clients will find out what she charges? surely she has a price list to give to them. i dont see the difference? i think you're not meant to put how much a spray tan costs YOU as the provider, and how much trade prices are for solutions/equipment etc!

Well one way or another her clients will find out what she charges? surely she has a price list to give to them. i dont see the difference? i think you're not meant to put how much a spray tan costs YOU as the provider, and how much trade prices are for solutions/equipment etc!

i retract this...didnt read it properly haha! :irked:

Thank you all for your replies.

Some of you are saying they are fine and some of you are saying they are too low.

I wouldn't do it for that price if I was earning pennies, and I have all my costings worked out. Charging £12 is still giving me a healthy profit, considering I only have to pay for solution, barrier cream & my own time doing it. I pay my own NI and there is only a 1 off payment for insurance.

I will stick at £12 for now and possibly raise it to £15 in the future.

Thank you once again :)

Last edited:
I would have the higher price on my price lists etc, and reduce it on offer,if you get no takers! It's easier to reduce price not increase it x x

Hi

Personally my spray tans are £20 mobile, £15 home salon (when its ready) and I will do a tan tuesday £12.50 (home salon only as well) as I have a good profit margin I can play around with special offers without affecting my bottom line 2 much!

I know Worcester very well (I grew up there)!!

Plus as others say its easier to put prices down than up!

x

I would have the higher price on my price lists etc, and reduce it on offer,if you get no takers! It's easier to reduce price not increase it x x

I def agree that it's easier to reduce than raise! I made that mistake :( doing well now though :)

Thank you all once again.

As I am a new salon, I have clearly stated "introductory offer" on all of my price lists, therefore it shouldn't cause too much of a fuss if I raise them by a couple of pounds in a few weeks time.

ClaireL - Oh really? Small world eh! At least if you ever pop back you'll know where to come for a spray tan ;)

Thank you all once again.

As I am a new salon, I have clearly stated "introductory offer" on all of my price lists, therefore it shouldn't cause too much of a fuss if I raise them by a couple of pounds in a few weeks time.

ClaireL - Oh really? Small world eh! At least if you ever pop back you'll know where to come for a spray tan ;)

If you've called it an "introductory offer" then you will be fine hun :) if I were you though, when the time comes to change your prices, try £15. Like said before you can always lower it if it doesn't work :) good luck with everything :D xxx

Latest posts

Back