Can anyone please give me tips on lash and brow tinting?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarfield

Reaction score
I'm having some probs with lash and brow tinting, and my exams are in a few weeks. The problem with lash tinting is that often some tint gets onto the skin, even with all the proper protective pads and vaseline. I don't know what i'm doing wrong. I do paint right down to the bottom of the lashes, but that's because i don't want to get marked down for not tinting the roots properly! But the tint seems to stain the skin at the base of the lashes.
Is there a way to avoid this, whilst still getting the roots completely done?

The brow tinting problem i'm having is also tint getting on the skin. But if i just brush the tips of the hairs i feel like i'm not doing it right so i go further down but then it always gets on the skin!

Please help, i'm really worried about this! :(

Hi,
do you mean you are getting tint on skin on the under eye for lower lashes or upper eyelid part? i don't know if you are allowed to use this in
college or if you have to use the paper shields i use damp cotton wool cut in half moon shape with vaseline spread on the part you put on skin, as sometimes i felt the tint can go through paper, although shouldn't do. just make sure your tint is not too runny,
if you get tint on the upper eyelid part you could try wiping off with damp cotton bud, again i don't know if you are allowed to do this in college, but i put my cotton wool in place under bottom eyelash & make sure fits as close as poss & then with client keeping eyes open i put tint on bottom lashes very carefully & this way i can go close to roots & adjust cotton pad if i have to & then get client to very gently close their eyes, (please check if you are allowed to do this with your college tutor, it may not be allowed & i don't want you to not pass your exam! you also need a steady hand) this may be something you could try later on when more confident & qualified.
for eyebrows all you can do is make sure you put vaseline around eyebrow where you don't want tint to mark, if it goes on skin under hair just make sure you really wipe off after, some people like that anyway & i think people who do hd brows put tint on the skin anyway,
hope this has helped, sorry for long reply but i really enjoy tinting & people always say that i do it well & never sting them.
Angela x

Yes the tint sort of gets round the top and bottom eyeline area. During the lash tint it doesn't look like there is any on the skin to wipe off, but once i finish the tint it's visible. So it's really annoying cos then it's too late.

And yeah it was the skin underneath the brow hairs that gets tint on, although it does seem to wipe off ok, but just will look bad if the examiner is looking while it's still on.

We use half moon cotton pads too. Can i ask, do you pull the cotton moon apart into two halves to make it even thinner? Or do you just put a full round pad in half and then use the two moons as they are?

I do exactly the same as pebbles and as also mentioned not sure what your allowed to do or not during your exam, especially as I'm trained in Australia and not the UK. The tint I use comes with a remover so any tint left on the skin after is easily removed leaving no staining, just beautiful lashes and brows. Again I agree with pebbles, it's best to check with your tutor as they will be the ones assessing you and it will remove your worry. Good luck on your exam! X

Yes the tint sort of gets round the top and bottom eyeline area. During the lash tint it doesn't look like there is any on the skin to wipe off, but once i finish the tint it's visible. So it's really annoying cos then it's too late.

And yeah it was the skin underneath the brow hairs that gets tint on, although it does seem to wipe off ok, but just will look bad if the examiner is looking while it's still on.

We use half moon cotton pads too. Can i ask, do you pull the cotton moon apart into two halves to make it even thinner? Or do you just put a full round pad in half and then use the two moons as they are?

Sorry I must of been typing as you posted! For me I generally don't pull them apart to thin them as the pads I get then start to fray too much and are too thin, though sometimes when I can get the really good ones (albeit expensive) I can and do.
Sorry not much help am I!

No that is a help, thanks!

I think i will stick to not pulling them apart then, cos i find them a bit too thin that way too.

We don't get tint remover with ours, i think they deliberately make everything as difficult as possible for us :(

Hi,
I've been trying to think of other tips for you!

Are you using a proper tint brush they are quite small & not a thicker brush, try applying the tint to lashes halfway down & not right at the root & then push it back up to the root so your brush is not too loaded, iykwim.

Also i do thin out my cotton pads not quite half but may be take a slither off, after i have dampened them, & then cut across, shouldn't be too much fraying then, & then put vaseline on the pad with plastic spatula (the same size ones as waxing spatula).

For eyebrows maybe try applying with your tint brush & then go through brow back against growth lifting hairs with a mascara wand, just an idea.

I have just looked in my ellisons catalogue & refectocil have a colour remover, i have not used this myself yet as only just changed over to refectocil as recommended by geeks as to be the best tint.

Finally try not to worry, the examiners want you to pass really! Good luck!
Hope this helps & thanks for the heart SammiC x

For brow tints I use a q tip to neaten the tint do if it does get on the akin it's underneath the hairs!!
I use cotton wool pads cut in half under the eyes soaked in water, u could try putting the vasoline on the pad where it contacts the skin, good luck xx

I'm a bit confused about you saying you try not to get brow tint on the skin?

I push the tint right through the hair and DELIBERATELY put it onto the skin. This is the only way to get the tint right to the roots. I just tidy around the outline of the brow with a cotton bud to ensure the tint doesn't stain outside the brow line.

I split mine in half again (the undereye circles) and make sure they are really wet, then place them under the eye after having put vaseline on the under eye area. Once placed use a cotton bud with vaseline on on the areas at the side where the half circles are (so the inner and outer eye). I do this when the client's eyes are closed.

I use a cotton bud or microfibre brush to apply tint myself, and find this works well, though as previously mentioned you may not be able to make these variations for your exam!

Once tint is applied and all the vaseline etc to protect the skin I put 2 dry cotton wool circles over as was always taught wet ones inhibit the reaction to tint the lashes. Then I put an eye pillow over to weigh it down so they are less likely to flicker their eyes and get tint in them.

As for brow tinting I apply it thickly and press firmly, and like elliebee said, you need to do this to get it to the root. Leave for as long as necessary and then remove. Baby wipes are great for removing, or I use damp cotton wool pads in a firm sweep.

HTH

Try putting Vaseline on the damp cotton wool as well as the eye area,make sure the Vaseline is right up to the edges, not too thickly applied or it can get on the lashes and create a barrier. Make sure the cotton wool or the paper protectors are cut exactly to fit the eye and once you have completed the bottom lashes you readjust your protectors as they can move creating a gap. I also ask my clients to gently close their eyes rather than clamping them tightly shut as this can wrinkle the protectors and allow seepage.

When removing lash tint, remove excess tint first with orange stick, then cotton buds, this helps prevent it from going onto the skin when removing with just damp cotton buds.

Also try applying tint on the bottom lashes ,underneath the lashes rather than on top, this makes it easier to avoid getting the tint onto the skin. Hope that makes sense.

Take your time, when doing the brows I know they didn't used to like you getting any on the skin and I was taught to lift the brow hair up and away from the skin using either a mascara wand( the very small type) or an orange stick, apply the tint whilst hair is still pulled away with the wand,again this prevents the tint going onto the skin.
You can alway wipe around the areas if you get any tint seepage on the skin with a damp cotton bud. This won't mean a fail, it shows competence. Use minimal amount of tint, you dont want to overload the brows or lashes or you will get it seeping onto the skin.

Hth a little.

Latest posts

Back