Deposits when mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Severnrose

Reaction score
I have searched on previous threads and have found them useful regarding the above topic however I have some quite specific questions that I still can't find the answer to and wondered if anyone had any advice.

Up until now I have never asked anyone for a deposit for their spray tan. I have had a few cancellations here and there which is annoying but it's always just been 1 tan so not too much of an issue. Last night I had 4 tan's booked in for 6pm all at the same house. The host called me at 1pm to cancel. It was for a genuine reason (the party they were all going to was cancelled last minute) and i know she Wouldnt Have cancelled unless there was a real reason. Genuine or not, I still lost out on doing 4 tans. SO, I'm now thinking that I might start collecting deposits for 3 or more people. I have a party of 5 booked in for this Friday and as that's my busiest night I will be so gutted if any of them cancel as I've booked most of my evening out to do them (it's also out of my usual area).

My questions are:
1. Do u think I could now ask for deposits from those coming on Friday? (it's my cousin hosting it so I feel I probably could, although is this wrong as I didn't ask at the time of booking?)
2. Going forward I'm thinking of asking for £5 per person deposit which I will request by sending an email invoice to them from Paypal as don't want to run round using petrol collecting deposits off people. Does this sound about right? (I charge £15 per tan if 2 or more people there)
3. Is it ok for the deposit to be completely non-refundable or should I offer it back if they give me more than, say, 48 hours notice?
4. Does anyone find that taking a deposit sometimes puts customers off?
5. Should I put a time limit on when the deposit is due, ie 48 hours before the appointment?
6. If someone books in for the next day, do you bother collecting a deposit at all?

Sorry, they may seem like simple questions but I need to get this straight in my head before I put a notice on my Facebook page & website.

Thanks!

Hello? Anybody? Is everyone out sunning themselves?!!

I'd definitely start to take a deposit, as you say you have just a lost a lot of money.

not sure I'd do it for your booking on Friday though as they've already booked & you didn't mention it at the time iyswim

I'd definitely do it on all future group bookings though. xx

I'd definitely start to take a deposit, as you say you have just a lost a lot of money.

not sure I'd do it for your booking on Friday though as they've already booked & you didn't mention it at the time iyswim

I'd definitely do it on all future group bookings though. xx

Thank you for the reply :) I'm so worried about it, I've just got this feeling that collecting deposits is going to start causing problems & confusion

I personally only take deposits for large hen /party groups.
I dont think its a very good idea to take deposits for other booking as I think it puts people off and they wont want to be faffing around with paying a deposit for what (to them) is only just a few tans.
Unfortunately, these things happen. I know its annoying, but it doesnt happen all the time.
x

I personally only take deposits for large hen /party groups.
I dont think its a very good idea to take deposits for other booking as I think it puts people off and they wont want to be faffing around with paying a deposit for what (to them) is only just a few tans.
Unfortunately, these things happen. I know its annoying, but it doesnt happen all the time.
x

This is exactly what I'm worrying about. It's only happened once so far, maybe I should wait and see if it happens a few more times then I'll start taking a deposit. It's just so hard when we 'rely' on this money....I love what I do, but I'm not doing it just for the fun of it!!

I work mobile doing makeup, nails, hairup and camouflage makeup and for the last 10 years have always ask for 50% non refundable deposit to secure the clients date/treatment.

I started doing it for weddings then 3 years ago i rolled it out for general clients too.

in the time that I have requesting non refundable deposits only a hand full of clients have cancelled or had to change the treatment date, most have been happy to rebook and secure their new date with another deposit.

reason for this is that most people do not want to or cant afford to loose money by simpley cancelling on a wimm or not being at home when i turn up, so by taking a non rundable/non transferable deposit theres a really insentive for them to go through with the treatment and not mess me about.

Buy asking for a non reundable depost it gives the client an oppertunity to think if they really want to 'invest' having a treatment done and if they can really make the time/date they are asking to book or afford it.

As i work mobile i dont have 'passing trade' and can not fill apt cancelled at short notice that easliy, I also have bills to pay, food to put on the table.

I do this as living, not a hobby.

Last edited:
I work mobile doing makeup, nails, hairup and camouflage makeup and for the last 10 years have always ask for 50% non refundable deposit to secure the clients date/treatment.

I started doing it for weddings then 3 years ago i rolled it out for general clients too.

in the time that I have requesting non refundable deposits only a hand full of clients have cancelled or had to change the treatment date, most have been happy to rebook and secure their new date with another deposit.

reason for this is that most people do not want to or cant afford to loose money by simpley cancelling on a wimm or not being at home when i turn up, so by taking a non rundable/non transferable deposit theres a really insentive for them to go through with the treatment and not mess me about.

Buy asking for a non reundable depost it gives the client an oppertunity to think if they really want to 'invest' having a treatment done and if they can really make the time/date they are asking to book or afford it.

As i work mobile i dont have 'passing trade' and can not fill apt cancelled at short notice that easliy, I also have bills to pay, food to put on the table.

I do this as living, not a hobby.

Thank you very much for your reply. Can I ask how you collect a deposit? My main concern is if the host paid me the deposit which is the equivalent of £5 per person then one of their friends doesn't turn up. The host is then out of pocket by £5 as she has paid me it initially. Now I know that's not my problem but I can imagine the awkward situation in their house where they might argue they've paid me an extra fiver and I end up feeling sorry for them and knocking a fiver off their tan! I need to grow some balls I think and just stick to my guns....

Hiya
I ask clients to pay via BACS, after they receive an invoice fro me:)

I never accept cheques or BACS on the day of the treatment and final payments must be made before I set up in cash :)

I state that it's the hosts or the brides responsibility to collect deposits from each person in the party and to make sure I get them on time.

so if only 5 out 7 people wanting a tan give the host/bride a deposit only 5 get booked and the other 2 will be seen if I have enough time or any goodwill left by the end of the session lol

If a host or bride wants to pay for every client without getting the money from each person in their party first, that is their decision and not something I would get involved in or advocate due to the problems it causes.

Thus i wouldn't look to refund the host/bride if someone in the group flaked or cancelled and she'd paid for them up front without getting the money from them first.

If this happens the bride/host needs to seek payment from the person that has cancelled/flaked not me.

I also ask the host/ bride to sign a contract outlining my t&cs and payments when they sent their deposit.

HTHs

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back