Mixing tanning %

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tezzajezza

Reaction score
I've got loads of 12% and 20% solutions left that I'm not using. 16% seems to be my most popular so I was thinking of mixing 12 and 20 together to make 16? Is this advised?! Don't want to waste what I've got but don't think I'll use it! Lol x

12 + 20 = 32 ..... 32 / 2 = 16
so yes you could mix them to get 16% and as long as you mix in equal quantities (and you shake/swirl the bottles before mixing and then shake/swirl the mixed solution before use) then the resulting tans should be fine.

Hi ,

Which solution do you use? Ordinarily you could mix them if you make sure you use the same amount of each, eg. 50ml of 12 and 50ml of 20. I wouldn't mix the fast tanning ones with the ordinary ones and also not the "gold" with the "brown". You can also dilute solutions with water to make up different colors, again depending on the solutions you use ( I learned this tip in OZ years ago and it was or is still often done in Australia and South Africa)

I would suggest you calling your supplier and asking them direct. hth's

I've got OMG. Wanting to use them up as thinking of changing now to suntana. Might give them a call and see what they say! X

I've got OMG. Wanting to use them up as thinking of changing now to suntana. Might give them a call and see what they say! X

Be interested to know what they say If you can let me know ;-) thanks x

@baggybear so would I mix the 12 and 20 then half it and dilute with water?

Will post OMG comments it a jiffy!! Lol x

I've got loads of 12% and 20% solutions left that I'm not using. 16% seems to be my most popular so I was thinking of mixing 12 and 20 together to make 16? Is this advised?! Don't want to waste what I've got but don't think I'll use it! Lol x

This is something that is not advisable as a regular thing but in times of need then go with it

Yeah I don't want to do it all the time but seems a waste to throw full bottles away if I could use them up somehow!

Yeah I don't want to do it all the time but seems a waste to throw full bottles away if I could use them up somehow!

indeed so go for it :wink2:

No water.

Just shake both bottles then put a measured amount of each solution into whatever your using - an old clean bottle or your tanning cup, (I use a turkey baster to measure the solution accuratley and minimise mess :wink2:).

And I'm sure there have been other Geeks who have mixed OMG - I think they are the scented ones that make interesting smells when combined like cherry bakwell and choc cherry.

I've knew you could mix equal amounts of Nouvatan together, but wasnt sure if it depended on product. Be good to hear I have OMG too.

Thanks! x

I would think that the water dilution would be more for hotter climates as things evaporate faster. I have done it in the UK before but only for my own tans. I try to always use "unblemished" products on clients. I usually use up my left over super dark solutions this way on myself

Don't want to seem thick..... I mix 20 + 12 = 32 how then do I half it to 16?! Or is that just 50ml of one add 50ml of the other makes 16? Lol

You divide the 32 because it is 2 solutions sharing the total amount of DHA.

So long as you add equal amounts the 12% + 20% will give you a 16%.

The equasion I gave you will allow you to work out what percent you would get when you mix any 2 percents.

8 + 12 = 20 .... 20 / 2 = 10%

16 + 8 = 24 .... 24 / 2 = 12%

and so on....

Personally I would add booster drops to them to make them darker, but then I'd be panicking about get quantities right and my low maths ability lol!:eek:

Personally I would add booster drops to them to make them darker, but then I'd be panicking about get quantities right and my low maths ability lol!:eek:
I think booster drops are a lot more unpredictable than mixing 2 percents together (meaning getting the exact same results from 2 seperate mixtures).

If you used a turkey baster (with measurments on it like the one in the link below) as I sugested above the issue of adding the correct amounts would be massivly reduced.

NEW PRESTIGE SILICONE TURKEY BASTER & BRUSH PRESTIGE MAKE | eBay

I love using booster drops they work great for me, but if you've got the time to mix then that would be fine too but I know I would never get it right! :wink2:

Nat if you can add a set amount of booster drops to a set amount of solution then you can add a set amount of 1 solution to another.

You are making it seem a lot harder than it needs to be, honestly it is easy.

If your happy with paying for booster drops and using them then that is fine.

Haha I think you're misunderstanding Cheryl I've never tried it I'm just joking about maths really! I've no need to mix solutions to be fair as I have all %'s I just use booster drops on the rare occasions someone wants to be darker! Two drops into 50mls and job done lol! It's usually when they're about to go intent they decide to darker do it's easiest option then for sure! Cx

I think so long as the client gets the percent tan they want it doesn't matter how we go about getting that percent. Booster drops or mixing, both easy and both effective so long as you know what your doing (the correct amount of booster drops per 50ml/100ml or the correct pecents to add together to get the resulting percent).

:biggrin::biggrin:

Latest posts

Back