Help - wax disaster

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jade - portia

Reaction score
I recenlty did brow training, but it didn't cover how to manage the wax, pots and heater and today I ended up having a disaster and getting it everywhere.

I couldn't get the lid off the honey wax pot so I put it in the heater to warm up (inside the inner tin), but then I couldn't get it out because it was too hot - so I had to tip it out.

Then to get it back in I dropped it in the inner tin, but that didn't fee very safe at all. I did a couple of friends brows and then I wanted to try the creame wax. But I didn't know how to get the honey wax out. I dropped the lid on to it and tipped it out.

But when I tried to get the creame wax out following the same procedure it went everywhere, and every time I touched it to try and clean it, it just went everywhere else. And that small bottle of equipment cleaner that came with my hive kit wasn't a great help! I'm sticking to everything I touch!

I'm also not really understanding the way you heat the wax up. I feel like I'm either getting it too hot or not hot enough pfft

So could some kind geek please share how you manage your wax, pots and heater so I can prevent another major disaster like today.

Hi, sounds like you had a hectic day! I just take the lid off wax first, then place the plastic wax pot into the inner pot , I set the temperature to about 7 then leave it all day, the thermostate stops it getting any hotter! I leave it there until my pot is empty , then I put gloves on take wax pot out and put new one in :)))

lwoody lol it was awful :( green tea tree creame wax everywhere.

I'm going to be working mobile so I'll be doing a bit of moving about and I'm worried about spills. The highest setting on this hive heater is six, so do I just put it on six and leave it there till I've finished working? That's useful to know.

So do you just leave the lid off your wax and put the lid back on the heater?

If it's a hive heater then you only want it at around number 3.
I have a separate wax heater to heat my wax in and then pour it in to my main wax pot as and when needed :biggrin:

Hi Angelina - thanks for the info about the heater. I'm sorry for being duh but I'm not sure I understand how you use your wax?

Do you decant just enough for the treatment and if so how do you get the the pot clean, because trying to get the wax off everything was a nightmare!

I put my wax in by turning it all the way upto 7 and resting the pot on the bar that you scrape your spatula on(not sure if theres a technical term lol) and leaving it until its all poured in. I then get a spatula and scrape the last dregs out into my heater. As for heating it for use I turn it to between 3 and 4 and just leave until heated it usually takes about 20 - 30 mins depending on how much wax is in the heater.

Yes I leave the wax pot lid off and just put the wax heater lid on, but mine isn't transported, I had a travel pot once and thought it was brill but left it in car for a few weeks not using it, what a mess when I needed it, I suppose the car got hot ,and wax stuck every where!! Would love to know of a pot that is more transportable!!!:)

So how does everyone clean their equipment because trying to get the wax off even just the inside of the removeable pot with that spray of options equipment cleaner was difficult.

Everywhere was sticky even my hair lol

So how does everyone clean their equipment because trying to get the wax off even just the inside of the removeable pot with that spray of options equipment cleaner was difficult.

Everywhere was sticky even my hair lol

Now thats a tough one! I dont clean inside mine until my wax is basically finished. I obviously clean the outside after each client though! To clean the inside I heat the remaining wax up and then when its runny pour it into a carrier bag and then put it in the bin. I then clean the insert with equipment cleaner and cotton pads although I would like to find a better way than this as I end up in a right mess with the cotton pads!!! :|

For different wax types you could buy extra inner sleeves hun. Number 3 is temp I use in hive. I angle my pot on bar then left till Wax goes into inner metal sleeve. I don't turn temp up incase wax doesn't cool quick enough before client for transporting have a box that got pot will fit snug into in car xxx

Hi Angelina - thanks for the info about the heater. I'm sorry for being duh but I'm not sure I understand how you use your wax?

Do you decant just enough for the treatment and if so how do you get the the pot clean, because trying to get the wax off everything was a nightmare!

I'm salon based so I fill my wax pot right up. I have a Hive 1000cc heater.
I then have a small heater that I put my new wax pot in and when it is fully melted I pour it straight into my Hive heater. Most of it just slides in and then I scrape the edges with a spatula.
You can buy empty tins to put in your Hive heater. They are a snug fit and the scraper bar will just about stretch over the top. I personally remover the scraper bar and just scrape on the side of the heater.
I think Berins sell the empty tins. They cost about £1 each and it's easier to just chuck the tin in the bin and replace with a new one when you need to clean your pot.
No cleaning and a lot less hassle!

I think Berins sell the empty tins. They cost about £1 each and it's easier to just chuck the tin in the bin and replace with a new one when you need to clean your pot.
No cleaning and a lot less hassle!

Thank you so much for this!! You've just saved me hours of scrubbing time, that I can now spend scrubbing my dishes instead lol:sad:

Not all equipment cleaners are equal. Some are really industrial! And you need the heater warm in my opinion, when you're cleaning it.

Sorry if this has been said, but in addition to a good solvent, I have a hairdryer in my waxing room and I turn it on high heat when I'm giving everything a thorough clean and it's great for melting wax on the outside of the heaters and trollies etc.

Spray with a mist of solvent ( I keep mine in a water spray)

Take a piece of couch roll and if needed, a spatula and direct the hairdryer one area at a time and it melts in front of your eyes.

Some fantastic tips, thanks everyone :)

I'll definately be using the hair dryer suggestion, Kim. Wish I would have had that tip in time for my wax disaster, it would have been really useful :) Anything that's less hassle certainly works for me Angelina ;)

So do most people decant their wax, our tutor had the wax pot in the heater? What is the advantages and disadvantages of the two ways of working?

Latest posts

Back