Yet another chancer trying to get something for nothing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady Murasaki

Reaction score
Hi geek and Geekettes

Today some chancer sent me this email :eek::eek::eek:

""I know this incredibly short notice my original make-up artist let me down and has now been a mission to find someone that would be able to help me

[FONT=Trebuchet, Verdana, Lucida Grande, Sapir Sans, Tahoma, sans-serif]I am currently studying photography at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx For my Final Major project I am recreating the four elements using make-up and hair [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet, Verdana, Lucida Grande, Sapir Sans, Tahoma, sans-serif]styling[/FONT]

i am looking for a hair and makeup artist to help me recreate the four elements

and wondered if you maybe interested in helping me with this creative shoot.

Im not able to pay a big amount for your fee for the day but am offering £30 and food and drink for the day .

The shoot will take place on the XXXXXXXX June at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx at xxxx

I have two models that will be doing all four shoots so when im doing one shoot the other model can be getting ready and then swapping over.

If this is something that you would be interested in please let me know".

WTF!!!!!!

I dont normally get 'upset' by things like this however, had the person taken time and looked a my website before sending me this email she would of known that I do hair/makeup for a living, am professional, done commercial/editorial work.

Thus I would not work for all day and do 8 hair/makeup changes for £30.00, a pack of pringles and a tesco meal deal !!!!

I did though politely email back saying that she might have more luck trying one of the beauty colleges and that I'm worth more than £30.00 and I dont take food as a form of payment due to my bank manager, suppliers and my taxman/woman do not except food as a form of payment as they preferred to be paid it cold hard cash.

rant over!!!

I know this is annoying, but look at it from the other side.

It is likely she did not know how experienced you are and what are your fees. However, it is quite common to work for free on photoshoots when one requires to build a portfolio of professional images and get credits in media to build up the reputation and break into media or fashion word.

I think she was bearing this in mind when offering you to work for a meal.

Aawwww you heartless moo !!!!! :wink2:

Tescos do a nice meal deal, and who knows it might even have been Marks and Sparks with some Kettle fried crisps AND a drink. Now you'll never know:biggrin:

lol yeh she might have even had a mars bar for you!!

aw dont be offended take it as a compliment that she likes your work and no harm but at least she is using initiative

I know this is annoying, but look at it from the other side.

It is likely she did not know how experienced you are and what are your fees. However, it is quite common to work for free on photoshoots when one requires to build a portfolio of professional images and get credits in media to build up the reputation and break into media or fashion word.

I think she was bearing this in mind when offering you to work for a meal.

There was no intention of offer me images, she just wanted me free for her shoot...she didnt even send me a link to her portfolio or send me images of her work.

I understand that its common to do free shoots or testing with photographers to build portfolios, however I only test when needed and with photographers and models that benefit my porfolio.

I have over 12 years experience and already work within media and freelance for national newspapers, so for me working with a amuture photographer that is trying to do a project for her uni photography degree is not going to enhance my career one bit.

Aawwww you heartless moo !!!!! :wink2:

Tescos do a nice meal deal, and who knows it might even have been Marks and Sparks with some Kettle fried crisps AND a drink. Now you'll never know:biggrin:

lol

There was no intention of offer me images, she just wanted me free for her shoot...she didnt even send me a link to her portfolio or send me images of her work.

I understand that its common to do free shoots or testing with photographers to build portfolios, however I only test when needed and with photographers and models that benefit my porfolio.

I have over 12 years experience and already work within media and freelance for national newspapers, so for me working with a amuture photographer that is trying to do a project for her uni photography degree is not going to enhance my career one bit.

i see your point and thats cool you dont want to do it

but... did no one ever help you out on your way up your career?

i see your point and thats cool you dont want to do it

but... did no one ever help you out on your way up your career?

When I first started out I did lots of free shoots to get my name out there, yes people helped my out but I always paid them their rates as I valued thier time, expreince and knowledge.

Because of this I got to work with some very talented people, got some great images in return and was offered paid jobs myself by people i'd hired.

Latest posts

Back