Pregnancy massage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazzybabe

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm a bit concerned as I have been booked in for an hours pregnancy massage tomorrow and I have never done one before and I'm not trained in it, I'm only qualified in Swedish massage, I have a quick briefing before hand but I still don't feel comfortable, surely I shouldn't be allowed to perform this without correct qualification?? Any help please :)

You really should never perform any kind of pregnancy massage with out the correct training, although its unlikely that you could cause any problems why take the risk? I am assuming that you work for someone, I would approach your employer and explain that this is not something that you are qualified in and that you aren't comfortable treating someone who is pregnant.
tinaxxx

Yeah I work for someone, I said that I am not qualified in pregnancy massage and one of the therapists response was you don't need a qualification :-/ ?? I don't feel comfortable doing it an I wouldn't want someone performing any treatment on me without correct training! Xx

Yeah I work for someone, I said that I am not qualified in pregnancy massage and one of the therapists response was you don't need a qualification :-/ ?? I don't feel comfortable doing it an I wouldn't want someone performing any treatment on me without correct training! Xx

One of our tutors is pregnant and there are a couple of things you should know. You will need to perform the massage with them sat on a chair, with the client leaning forward onto the couch. Depending on how far along she is will depend on how much lower back work you can do, I've not worked on our preggy lady except for pedicure work and an underarm wax. But I wouldn't be happy unless my massage tutor talked me through it the way she has done with the two girls who have worked on her. Its not that you need to do a course on pregnancy massage but in your shoes I'd want to talk to the person who taught me massage to find out how best to help her and if there is anything I must avoid. If you can't talk to your tutor in time, then I would pm hippy chick on here and if I couldn't get hold of her I would tell my boss I'm not doing it because I can't be 100% sure that anything I did wouldn't cause distress to an unborn child. Let's face it, we know a massage lowers blood pressure, drains the lymphatic system effects blood sugar and the urinary system and while normally that's all good stuff, in a pregnant lady, I'd want to be completely sure of the affect on the baby before I went ahead.

Hi,
I feel sorry for you. I am qualified and experienced in pregnancy massage and no one should ever preform a pregnancy treatment without correct training. I agree there isn't too much damage that can be done, however there are certain pressure points ad movements you can't do. Also you need to be able to identify health concerns the mother to be may have which could contra-indicate the treatment, and you need to make the client feel confident in the unusual positions.
They really shouldn't be forcing you to do this because at the end I the day it's you reputation as there's plus the insurance !!!
I know it's difficult but try and speak to your boss .
Good luck x

Personally I wouldnt be comfortable doing a pregnancy massage if i wasnt qualified to do so, I am sure that you were told this when you were training, though i can see why it would be difficult if your employer has booked it in for you, I am not really sure that its as simple as saying that the responsibility lies with your employer as clearly you as a therapist are not comfortable, I would hold your ground and say that you arent going to do it, clearly explain why and maybe you could swap treatments with a therapist who is qualified???
xxx

Good advice here. You really shouldn't be doing it and your boss should know better. If something happens who will be to blame?
It never good to take a risk with a pregnant lady. Best to talk to your employer and say you are not happy to do it.

Ok thanks for all your advice I've decided I'm not going to do it and will tell my manager tomorrow, there is someone else who can do it anyways, just need to find a way to say it without sounding crappy if that makes sense x

It's hard saying no but in this case it shows that you have your clients interest and safety as your first priority. Hopefully your employer should see that you have integrity and not make an issue of it.

I don't know how training works when you are in a job but you could possibly suggest that you would like to do the training?

Let us know how you get on, good luck :)

Lindsey x

I am trained in pregnancy massage and it's not as simple as sitting in a chair. In first trimester I won't massage, side lying is best position with pillows placed in correct position. There is a artery on one side of the body that when compressed can cut off blood supply to baby, laying on this side can compress it enough. Never should a pregnant client lay on their stomach it puts the weight of all the organs on the baby. So I think you have made a wise choice in refusing as so much can go wrong there are other considerations but they are the main ones.

Chazzy ... How did today go ?
X

Hopefully you were able to stick to your guns and didn't carry out the massage.

I am sure the client wasn't told they were going to be massaged by someone who wasn't trained in that field!

I have a couple of pregnant clients and one with a newborn who has been back in this week and you really need to know what you are doing for them to get the best out of these type of massages. I actually dislike side lying massages but it isn't about me when I am massaging pregnant (or very large) clients who cant lie prone/supine.

I had massages when I was pregnant, thankfully my usual therapist IS pregnancy massage trained :), but despite having an ITEC in massage myself I'd never dream of doing a pregnancy massage... I don't even feel the need to ask my insurer if I'd be covered because I just simply won't do it...
I had a really good instructor and she was very clear on the subject -No... no... NO! :) What IF something goes wrong with the pregnancy... would you EVER be able to sleep again WONDERING if it was something you did?
I hope it went ok for you today :)

Yeah I stuck by my guns and said I don't feel comfortable doing massage I said to another colleague who was trying to show me a routine!! at the end of the day if something went wrong you wouldn't be at fault I would so I'm not doing it and she was really argumentative so I went up to my manager and said do you mind doing the massage as I don't feel comfortable as I'm not trained an she was like yeah ok that's fine but can you practise it in future so you do feel comfortable!!!

Well done !!
Maybe ask if it is possible they send you on a course for pregnancy. Most product houses do a pregnancy treatment and if you have an account it is free or very little cost.
X

Latest posts

Back