First back wax model

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzycat

Reaction score
Hi Geeks
Im just after a bit of advice. I am doing my first ever back wax tomorrow on my cousins partner. Thing is he has never had a back wax before but I looked at his bax today and he is EXTREMELY hairy! and the hair is quite thick and long down to his arms. I dont want to get it wrong as he is extremely nervous about how much pain he is going to be in. i have advised him to take 2 paracetamol and a piriton an hour before he arrives.

Ive been reading some other threads and have read responses to say that it is best to wax down the centre first then do the sides. should i use strip wax for the whole lot? which are the most sensitive places? he would also like his chest waxed at some point (not tomorow though)

Also because the hair is so thick and dense and long, would you trim it first or is it better to leave it long?

many thanks for your advice. any thing else i need to know.

First - be VERY careful about telling people to take any medication... even over the counter or off the shelf stuff...

When you did your waxing training did you not cover back waxing? I will admit I didn't put mine on the "menu" until after I'd done my male intimate waxing with Andy at Axiom as frankly "full body waxing" is definitely more geared towards female waxing and having done the male intimate I have to admit it's something I think should either be covered on the other courses or shouldn't be insured by the insurance companies...

anyway short answer is - follow the hair... yes if it's REALLY long I'd definitely trim it - nothing worse than wax getting caught in the hair you're not yet waxing - it WILL hurt the client.
I start with a strip down the back assuming it's a full back of hair... It gives you a line to finish your strips on and helps section it in my mind. Also the upper back and shoulders I tend to do with my clients sat up - I find it easier to work with them that way... so hard to explain... might be worth seeing if you can find a video on youtube? :)

dont worry, youll be totally fine. I agree with above deffinatly trim if need be. Just take your time and keep calm!! He is going to find it sore but dont let it stop you, once you get going itll be ok! Im the same I like to work in sections in my mind to make it easier for my self. If yo prefer strip it probably going to be easier to stick with it for the whole treatment, usually heading up to the neck is the sorest part, and again just go with the grain! HTH xxx

If the hair is long yes I would trim first, depends how long though. You don't want a matted mess.
I have my male clients lay down for the entire back wax, I work on one side then get the client to turn round, so his head is where his feet were this makes it easier to reach the hair, especially if you're short lol.
The most sensitive areas are the sides, the area that runs down from the underarms to the waist.
Usually I tend to speed wax but some men find it very uncomfortable and I have to do it in smaller sections to give them more breathing space,bless them.
I use strip wax for back waxing, non strip uses too much when doing a back.
I would advise suggesting anti histamines if the client tends to have a reaction, so if he becomes very spotty or has a lot of hives then tell him to take them for 24 hrs, following advice from leaflet enclosed.
All men are different, some find it excruciating, like the one I did mid week who I had to do very slowly and then you get others who you can do in 20 mins approx and who don't have a problem at all.
There's no real need to do a separate waxing course for back waxing. It's very simple and not like doing intimate areas where I would always advise doing the advanced training for. It's actually one of the easiest areas to do because it's a nice big area with no real awkward areas to worry about. If you can do leg waxing then you will find back waxing a doddle. Sterex witch hazel gel is a lovely after wax product to use as its really cooling and calming. I always use it on my male clients. Hth a little

thank you so much for your replies. I am a bit anxious about it but just because of how much hair he has and the sheer volume of it and how long it is. When I was looking at it, i was thinking to myself, if i only do the back, then it is going to look like he has a tshirt on coz his arms are sooooo hairy. So if i trim it, what number should I trim it with? number 4? Im worried I trim it too short then it wont come out as well.

I am using perron rigot strip wax cristal ocean and I have the after wax cooling gel for after.

Hi luvy, I know Andy Axium has a you tube video on back waxing, I've watched it.
Back waxing is so much easier because you can get them to stretch the skin by rounding their shoulders, if it's a first time wax he will probably do that anyway :).
Just wanted to add, when you get to the top of the shoulders to avoid having a hard line on the upper arm, use the wax strip you have just pulled of and with out adding wax to the tops of the arm rub the strip down hard and pull of, work around the arm and what you will see is that the hair line will gradiate as the strip becomes loaded with hair, it gives a more natural look.
The other way to do this is with electric clippers, just make the blade guide longer as you work down the arm, again this will stop a hard line.
Good luck with it and tell him to get his partner to ex-foliate his back every couple of days to make sure he doesn't get break outs.

^^^ What I was thinking. Also agree with all the other advice.

Another tip is that alot of men can get very sweaty if they're nervous, so just have a bit of extra powder on hand to dust over if he seems like hes getting a little clammy.

And wax a bit further down past where his trousers sit to avoid a line showing - just tuck in some couch roll so that no wax gets onto his clothes.

I always feel sorry for the guys as it doesn't look comfortable, but it is a nice & easy area for us to do!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll breeze through!

I would trim to a No 3.

Do the shoulders with him sitting, and so it does not look silly, over the top of his shoulders to the collar bone, along with the upper arms, and blend in to the T shirt line.

And yes, do the centre strip first.

And do use the Perron Rigot jasmine oil prior to the wax.

Oh, and use hard wax for the neck area, you do not want him leaving with what could look like love bites lol

eek love bites? now im worried lol.

Im just watching Andy's video on youtube from Professional Beauty, its a great video. Although from the looks of it, there is not much stretching of the skin, however, ,the close up vid of the back is a video within a video so its not easy to see. does the back not require much stretch?

Andy mentions retailing an antiseptic cream or spray to put on like tea tree or witchazel. Can anyone recommned where to buy these wholesale that I can retail and also as this is just my guinea pig and I havent got anything in stock.........would something like a savlon antiseptic spray do the same thing? does he just spritz it on for the first week? sorrry for the million and one questions :o

Andy mentions retailing an antiseptic cream or spray to put on like tea tree or witchazel. Can anyone recommned where to buy these wholesale that I can retail and also as this is just my guinea pig and I havent got anything in stock.........would something like a savlon antiseptic spray do the same thing? does he just spritz it on for the first week? sorrry for the million and one questions :o

The back needs very little stretch unless you have a very large gentleman, and I'm not talking tall. You can buy witch hazel retail from Sally's. Your local chemist will sell witch hazel products if you just want something to use after this practice run.

Make sure you remove all of the wax as its easy to leave a residue. He can be uncomfortable for 48 hrs afterwards as well if he's particularly sensitive to waxing as my chap I did last week was and spotty.

He can use the spray, gel or cream on his back for as long as he feels the need. Usually they only use for 48 hrs most don't even bother after the first 24 hrs, being the typical man lol.

By far the best product for use by guys is the Outback Organics Post-Wax Spray. The difference this makes to clients is amazing - and most importantly they keep on buying it because it is that good. It helps calm the skin, and keeps outbreaks of spots to a minimum or if they do come it helps clear them up a lot quicker.

By far my best selling aftercare product. If you google Outback Organics you'll find them easily enough.

Just thought I would update you as you very kindly took the time to respond to my thread............he didnt turn up lol. I suppose he had a valid excuse, he had been in hospital. Oh well, i will update you when I actually do get round to it. My husband has offered his chest and back and he is not very hairy so maybe he would be a better place to start

thanks once again x

I am so glad I came across this thread. I have my first Back Wax tomorrow, by all accounts he has said hes not overly hair but I guess I will be the judge!

I think I see how much hair he has and then decide between the two waxes but I would imagine Ill end up using mostly strip wax. I saw in a post earlier that its recommended to use Jasmine oil, even under strip wax? I only usually use this with my hot wax.

Fingers crossed as Im super nervous!

I did my first back wax last night and i loved it! Couldn't stop smiling....is that weird? Having that amount of hair to remove was fun and even though i was a bit nervous i acted like id done it a hundred times. The guy was pretty brave which was good as i might have panicked if he was a sweaty mess!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back