Calling all ingredient geeks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LifelongBT

Reaction score
I'm just wanting to pick the brains of those who are pretty knowledgeable when it comes to ingredients. Can anyone tell me if the ingredient listing for this serum looks good/ok? Would this be an effective product or do these ingredients need to be in a different order/higher up in the listing etc?

Hope I'm making sense!

*Purified Water, Liposomes, *Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis), Sclerotium Gum, Centella Oil (Gotu Kola), Evening Primrose Oil (Oenothera biennis), Vitamins A (Retinyl palmitate), B3 (Niacinimide), B5 (D-panthenol), B6 (Pyridoxine tripalmitate) and E (d-alpha tocopherol acetate), Essential Oils of Neroli Absolute (Citrus aurantium ssp amara), Australian Sandalwood (Santalum spicatum), **Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), Frankincense (Boswellia carterii), Carrot Seed (Daucus carota). and **Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis CTIII Verbenone), Grapefruit Seed Extract (Citrus paradisi), *Vegetable Glycerine, Rosemary Leaf Extract (Rosmarinus officinalis)
(*organic, **certified organic)

Thanks geeks :hug:

What make of serum is this hun?
I'm looking for a organic natural serum!

Looks a nice formulation!
No nasties
What is it out of interest?

looks great to me. it has natural preservative, and lovely ingredients. no nasty or irritating ingredients. id day its pretty damn good.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your comments/knowledge :)

Its from an Australian brand called ishiki-skin. She just sells over the internet (so essentially its more of a retail product) but I've been using it personally for the past couple of years and if I can find a way to "super charge" the facial treatments, then I'd like to use/stock it when i get up & running with my home salon. I used to use dermalogica for a good number of years, and ishiki-skin has been far, far better for my skin.

I suffer with oerioral dermatitis and although cleared up if I use over the counter creams with parabens in etc I get lumps under my skin. Iv spent a fortune lately

Tried priori serum and that brought me out too.

Will see if this skin care do samples it sounds lovely

Do you see a change in your skin?
Nenee

Nenee, definitely send Carmel (the owner) an email; tell her whats been going on with your skin and I'm sure she will send some samples - she's pretty good like that. As she formulates the products herself, she can alter/tweak the ingredients to suit if you react to something or don't want any oils in for fragrance etc.

Overall I have seen a vast improvement with my skin. When I used dermalogica, everything just seemed to sting (even the sensitive range!) and I don't consider myself to be super-sensitive. With ishiki-skin I've never had a problem with any product, so blotchiness has settled down and texture looks more hydrated & smooth/even. I still get breakouts at the moment, but I know for me that its hormonal as with both my pregnancies my skin was perfectly clear (so working with a naturopath on that one!).

How long have you had trouble with perioral dermatitis? Its so frustrating when these things plague us :evil:

Hi hun

Do I just google the name of the product and her website will pop up?

I had the PD only once but lasted months after a facial and peel now my skin sensitive to creams and I think it's the parabens etc so will email her and see what she recommends the product looks well made ;-)
X

Just go to www.ishiki-skin.com.au and you will find all the info there.

That's what worries me about doing deeper peels & things - the possibilities with sensitizing the skin and having more trouble afterwards!

well i was taught if the performance ingredients are in the first five listed then the product can probably back their claims as they are listed in order of concentration- (Liposomes...what type of liposomes?)other than that they may list to "say" it contains what evers hot now ingredient-also retinoyl palmitate is too big of a molecule to be effective, so im not impressed with this. its also the problem i have with dermologica... But if you have conclusive evidence that its working for you, who am I to say...

*Purified Water, Liposomes, *Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis), Sclerotium Gum, Centella Oil (Gotu Kola), Evening Primrose Oil (Oenothera biennis), Vitamins A (Retinyl palmitate), B3 (Niacinimide), B5 (D-panthenol), B6 (Pyridoxine tripalmitate) and E (d-alpha tocopherol acetate), Essential Oils of Neroli Absolute (Citrus aurantium ssp amara), Australian Sandalwood (Santalum spicatum), **Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), Frankincense (Boswellia carterii), Carrot Seed (Daucus carota). and **Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis CTIII Verbenone), Grapefruit Seed Extract (Citrus paradisi), *Vegetable Glycerine, Rosemary Leaf Extract (Rosmarinus officinalis)
(*organic, **certified organic

Thankyou indigolovely - I appreciate all opinions. I thought the first few ingredients were the most important, but just wondered overall how this serum sat in terms of being active. I don't know about the different types of Vit.A, so always learning something new! I've found the products to be better for my skin, but just like every brand it works differently on different people.

There are some nice sounding ingredients in there, however, the main ingredient is water. I personally think the serum would be far more effective if the key ingredient was an oil of some sort.
Now, it if had something in it along the lines of Rosehip seed oil or Sea Buckthorn, it would be cooking on gas :)
Even more 'normal' oils like almond, grapeseed or sunflower oil are power packed with vitamins & minerals.

As an aside, Sea Buckthorn is the richest oil on earth, rich in natural minerals and vitamins it is a skin god, reviving, renewing, replenishing, protecting & anti-ageing.

I'm just wanting to pick the brains of those who are pretty knowledgeable when it comes to ingredients. Can anyone tell me if the ingredient listing for this serum looks good/ok? Would this be an effective product or do these ingredients need to be in a different order/higher up in the listing etc?

Hope I'm making sense!

(*organic, **certified organic)

Thanks geeks :hug:
Mmmm, this serum sounds lovely. Some really nice ingredients, and no nasties.

How did you get on with it?

also retinoyl palmitate is too big of a molecule to be effective, so im not impressed with this. its also the problem i have with dermologica... But if you have conclusive evidence that its working for you, who am I to say...

Could you give a source for Retinyl Palmitate being too big a molecule to be effective? Besides the fact that it is one of the main antioxidants found in the skin (Toxicology and Industrial Health, May 2006, pages 181-191), as far as I have read it has been shown to be a very effective antioxidant and skin-cell regulator (European Journal of Medical Research, September 2001, pages 391–398; and Journal of Investigative Dermatology, September 1997, pages 301–305).

I have always understood that it has good conversion properties, changing to retinol once on the skin, which in turn converts to retinoic acid, which of course is shown to aid in collagen synthesis, increase dermal levels of hyaluronic acid etc etc (Skincare & Cosmetic Ingredients Dictionary, 3rd Edition, pages 261-262).

Martin - correct.
In regards to water being mentioned first you will find this is an Australian thing. Majority of products formulated in Australia will mention Water first, it is not necessarily in order of importance. Regulations are very different there so it is best speaking directly with manufacturers, trainers or reps from the brands. I was a trainer in Australia for a SKincare company so i know this first hand.

Could you give a source for Retinyl Palmitate being too big a molecule to be effective? Besides the fact that it is one of the main antioxidants found in the skin (Toxicology and Industrial Health, May 2006, pages 181-191), as far as I have read it has been shown to be a very effective antioxidant and skin-cell regulator (European Journal of Medical Research, September 2001, pages 391–398; and Journal of Investigative Dermatology, September 1997, pages 301–305).

I have always understood that it has good conversion properties, changing to retinol once on the skin, which in turn converts to retinoic acid, which of course is shown to aid in collagen synthesis, increase dermal levels of hyaluronic acid etc etc (Skincare & Cosmetic Ingredients Dictionary, 3rd Edition, pages 261-262).

Also, if this molecule is too big to be effective the whole philosophy of Environ is untrue. I have personally seen amazing results from this brand, and have also read other independent articles relating to Vitamin A, like it seems Martin has also. I too would love to see some evidence to support your thoughts that this molecule is too big to be effective.

Be careful with essential oils, especially fragrant ones such as lavender and rosemary, they are cytotoxic and can cause cell death within the skins structure . Organic and natural can be good, but also deceiving!

Martin - correct.
In regards to water being mentioned first you will find this is an Australian thing. Majority of products formulated in Australia will mention Water first, it is not necessarily in order of importance. Regulations are very different there so it is best speaking directly with manufacturers, trainers or reps from the brands. I was a trainer in Australia for a SKincare company so i know this first hand.

Australian ingredients listings and labelling require that the ingredients be listed in order of highest to lowest % making up the formulation.

Latest posts

Back