Additional waxing courses-bikini phobia

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabrina29

Reaction score
Hi,

I qualified in my NVQ beauty around 3 years ago, i have since been doing mobile offering various treatments but have had little requirements for waxing.

I have recently started work in a salon and had a lady come in for a bikini wax. I was a little apprehensive as i onyl got to do it maybe once or twice at college and have not done it since.

I tried to play it cool, false confidence and all that then some wax just would not come off the an area. I eventually managed to remove it after feeling highly embarrassed, i asked her to check the area and she required more removing from the same side and the wax would not come off again :eek:.

I have researched a number of threads on here but there are just too many. I notice that a lot of geeks recommned using oil beforehand, would baby oil be sufficient, the wax used in the salon is honey wax?

Also this does sound like a daft question but do you do both sides of the bikini from the same side of the bed or do you walk round to the other side of the bed in order to get a better application and stretch?

I am going to watch some video's / tutorials etc and am forever going over my college notes and books however these are very brief.

I would love to do an additional course but my funds are also limited, can anyone recommend a good one thats reasonably priced in the leeds/Bradford or surrounding area? I am ok with waxing other area's although I believe you can never know enough and I also lack in confidence.

Thanks

Sabrina

P.S I dread any more bikini waxes booking in, i even gave the lady the bikini wax for nothing as I can imagine how unproffessional I must have seemed and must have also been babbling nonscence due to nerves :o lol

Hi hun bikinis take practise practise practise!!! I think its something most therapists dread when they start doing them first. I used to HATE it!!! Even bruised someone really badly once. That wont happen to u!!! ;-)
I really would not reccommend oil under a warm wax, only under hot wax. I hope most people would agree with this. Oil and any kind of warm wax do not mix well. It sounds as if u did wverything right tbh but client may have had something on her skin, moisturiser, fake tan etc. Or the skin may have been a bit cold or even sweaty. I would carry on what you are doing, use a pre wax cleanser before u wX this way u get any reaidue of anything on the skin off and it also warms the skin a tad. Always wipe with a tissue afterwards and then apply wax. And obvoiously hold skin tight etc which im sure u know already. Good luck and dont ve hard on yourself it happens to everyone. Oh and another thing if u find wax isnt coming off and providing it isnt in too delicate and area i would pull the strip the opposite way of what you are meant to. This will take the wax off but maybe not the hair so you will have to reapply wax again and rip off the right way to get the hair off. Hope this all makes sense. Good luck xxxx

Thank you! I did pull in the opposite direction which removed the first lump that wouldnt come off, i had to cut the hair to get the second bit off. Absolute nightmare !

What do you recommend with regards to where you stand at the bed when doing the oppisite side - i feel so daft but i cant even rem from college. I will obviously see from Videos but im at work at the moment.

I dont feel right offering this service and taking peoples money when I dont feel competent enough x

Can anyone clarify if it is ok to use the oil with warm wax or does this only apply to hot?

Thanks again

I really would not reccommend oil under a warm wax, only under hot wax. I hope most people would agree with this. Oil and any kind of warm wax do not mix well.

Sorry but I would have to disagree... I can't speak for all warm waxes but PR and Berins certainly are designed to be used with a very thin layer of oil such as yasmin oil under them. And no not just the hot waxes.

I have seen other very experienced waxers here say it works under all waxes but I can't testify to that personally.

What I WOULD say is don't use warm wax on the bikini line - I know plenty here will say they do, but you are clearly having problems with it so step away from it! Use a hot wax (assuming you are trained) to do the bikini wax. Make sure you support the skin properly and if you don't feel happy doing them without further training ask the salon manager or one of the therapists to show you how to do it.

Thank you! I did pull in the opposite direction which removed the first lump that wouldnt come off, i had to cut the hair to get the second bit off. Absolute nightmare !

What do you recommend with regards to where you stand at the bed when doing the oppisite side - i feel so daft but i cant even rem from college. I will obviously see from Videos but im at work at the moment.

I dont feel right offering this service and taking peoples money when I dont feel competent enough x

I stand where I need to stand... if it's a petite person I can usually reach from one side, a more substantial client I would probably move round the couch to work on.
Have you looked to see if there are "refresher" courses near where you are? They might work out cheaper...

No havent looked as yet, i suspect there will be refresher courses at the wholesalers etc.

However I am not going to let this incident put me off, I am fully qulified and concientious of my work, I just wanted a bit of guidence from other therapists thats all.

No havent looked as yet, i suspect there will be refresher courses at the wholesalers etc.

However I am not going to let this incident put me off, I am fully qulified and concientious of my work, I just wanted a bit of guidence from other therapists thats all.

Yes I know you are qualified - you mentioned it in your first post - but are you trained to use hot wax? :) I appreciate I didn't word that particularly clearly :)

You mentioned you use a honey wax - so that says to me that a warm wax is being used on the bikini area - I find it gets very messy if you do that and that's why I use hot wax in thin strips for the bikini area - that should help avoid the problems you described.

Yes i use pr euroblonde hot wax so i do use oil but i advised not to because i feel you need confidence in your bikini waxing before yoy start using oils under wax as many newbies to waxing will really over apply the oil and cause more problems. That is why i thought i woyld advise no oil to not complicate things. The op stated that it was a warm wax and i didnt see pr or berins mentioned eiter. I would still nit go for the oil at least until you change to a hot wax or get more confidence in warm wax. Also warm wax is fine for standard bikinis. U need to start with the hardest. I wouldnt advise it for intimate wax (hollywoods etc). As far as standing position it doesnt matter, however you feel you get the best stretch.

Yes I know you are qualified - you mentioned it in your first post - but are you trained to use hot wax? :) I appreciate I didn't word that particularly clearly :)

You mentioned you use a honey wax - so that says to me that a warm wax is being used on the bikini area - I find it gets very messy if you do that and that's why I use hot wax in thin strips for the bikini area - that should help avoid the problems you described.

No i'm not qualified in hot wax, maybe its something i could look into.

I do want to master this area and feel confident in it with warm wax too.....suppose it's just a mattet of keep practising like anything else :D

Thanks for your help x

Yes i use pr euroblonde hot wax so i do use oil but i advised not to because i feel you need confidence in your bikini waxing before yoy start using oils under wax as many newbies to waxing will really over apply the oil and cause more problems. That is why i thought i woyld advise no oil to not complicate things. The op stated that it was a warm wax and i didnt see pr or berins mentioned eiter. I would still nit go for the oil at least until you change to a hot wax or get more confidence in warm wax. Also warm wax is fine for standard bikinis. U need to start with the hardest. I wouldnt advise it for intimate wax (hollywoods etc). As far as standing position it doesnt matter, however you feel you get the best stretch.

Thanks for your feedback.....onwards n upwards eh, client left happy anyway so not all bad, back on the horse me thinks and practise x

hi, i did an additional intemate waxing course with bradford college. they can train in there professional training weeks or they had sent a trainer into our salon so i think speaking to them might help. they train after qualified to wax and taught me with honey wax, and talc to reduce wax pulling the skin. i find this a really good method. hth.:)

Hi, I also trained at brad college and did the days training on intimate waxing which i was fine with..... i was prob just having one of them days and stressed a bit as i hadnt done one for a long time x

Latest posts

Back